• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    OK, I admit, I have found some deals in the classifieds.

What I am wondering is why there are so many ads in the classifieds for gun with accessories at prices that are more than new sale price. I mean over half of the ads are for guns for more than the price of a new one at Walmart and don't include any extras. There are also a ton of adds for guns with accessories that when you add everything up are cheaper to buy new than used.

Just seemed odd to me. I have sold a few guns lately. I usually list them on the classifieds for a week then sell them for more on gunbroker.

I just don't understand why there are so many ads for more than new price for used guns.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I just don't understand why there are so many ads for more than new price for used guns.

I'm guessing its a lack of knowledge, or a lack of research to see current prices. But I agree, I only buy used if I save at least 30%. If not, I'll just get it new.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A person can list a Gen 2 Glock 22 for $1,000 if they wish. If anyone chooses to purchase it, that is a testament to their ignorance and the sellers shrewdness. Personally, I start my listings at $50 less than new and if someone wants to make me an offer for $100 less, it is up to me to make a counter offer for $75 less or pass on the offer. Some may think that is too high, but they would certainly have the choice to ignore the listing.

I would add a little for any upgrades, but definitely not the full price. If night sites cost $80, I may add $40 for them, but that's just me.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Alot of people thinnk their gun is worth more than it really is. Either that, or they are asking a certain price to allow room for negotiation. I rarely pay the asking price on a private party sale, and I usually list my guns for about 10% more than I would be willing to take.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Foolishness or they got the pricing from an overpriced entity, such as Gander Mountain, online during the panic or similar. If someone buys a gun that is already overpriced for what it is (compared to high volume dealers in Indy or other areas), they want to "get what they got in it". Admittedly, some folks are just here for the classifieds, so they obviously don't care about others or what they think on pricing (so that could be a reason as well).

Personally, things that are of a functional value in regards to accessories, such as night sights, mags, etc... are a plus and should add SOME value to the sale. To be honest, Duracoat or spray paint jobs don't add crap in my mind.

I would imagine that some of the high pricers (which is their right to do so) will come down a bit on their price when Christmas gets closer :D I vary the price depending on who sends me the PM. 50 poster or someone who is a drive by poster, full price. Someone I like, I might knock a bit off.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    There is a slight distinction between selling an item and listing an item for sale. If it isn't the right price then people won't buy. The marketplace determines the price. So, if a gun or accessory is not selling it may be because the asking price is to high. I must sell guns to cheap because the couple that I have posted in the classified sold within a half hour. People just seem to lurk in the classifieds looking for a deal or hard to find items.

wahlspyder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    I understand the issue from both sides. Everyone wants to get a deal, but no one wants to feel taken advantage of. I suspect that most of what doesn't stem from ignorance comes from the desire to leave a little wiggle room in the price. Everyone wants to haggle and inflating the price slightly leaves that room.

nismoz33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Lawrenceburg HVL
    I am new to the site & have found that the 50 post rule to comment on a Classified Thread is a PITA for me...lol

I have found a couple good deals that I want to pursue but since I have just recently started browsing the forum regularly, my post count is low & I can't send a PM or comment on a thread.

I am sure that like others say, the higher price is posted to allow some bartering. That is what I do when I sell things. In this economy, everyone is going to try & lowball you, & why not? If you ask if someone will take a little less, the worse they can say is no.

I don't want to be a drive by poster & contribute nothing to the threads (like I feel I may be doing right now) but I don't want to miss out of some good deals.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    The highball posts just lead me to think the person is insane, and I don't even bother to make an offer. I mean if a gun is listed for $275 in the classifieds and is $229 at Wal-mart, for example, does it do any good to offer $175 which would probably be a fair price? I doubt if I had anything for sale for $275 that I would take $175.

I understand free market, and I believe in capitalism. I was just trying to figure out what people were thinking. Whether they were just confused or whether they think that the majority of people on INGO are suckers.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    When someone is selling something we don't have any idea where they got it or how much they really paid. These things don't matter anyway. As a comsumer it is OUR job to research what something costs. We have the right to choose where we purchase things. We can go to a shop we like or purchase from someone who lives close.

If somone buys a Glock from Gander Mountain, Pops or Dons for $600+ then they decide to sell it on here for $550 it's their choice. Of course the majority of us know that we can get it brand new at a place like Bradis for less but just like the seller was unaware or chose not to, there will be someone on here come along and end up buying it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I am new to the site & have found that the 50 post rule to comment on a Classified Thread is a PITA for me...lol

I have found a couple good deals that I want to pursue but since I have just recently started browsing the forum regularly, my post count is low & I can't send a PM or comment on a thread.

I am sure that like others say, the higher price is posted to allow some bartering. That is what I do when I sell things. In this economy, everyone is going to try & lowball you, & why not? If you ask if someone will take a little less, the worse they can say is no.

I don't want to be a drive by poster & contribute nothing to the threads (like I feel I may be doing right now) but I don't want to miss out of some good deals.

I agree.

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville

You can PM after 15 posts.
    50 to reply in the thread.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i try to be as fair as possible,i base everything on wear and accessories, but you can list a brand new glock on here that after tax is 515 they want to give you 400 .there are alot of people that play games on here lowballing or wont budge 5 bucks on an overpriced gun,i was tring to get a shotgun on here new these things were 225 it was mint but fired he wanted 225 would not budge ,not gonna do it.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    i try to be as fair as possible,i base everything on wear and accessories, but you can list a brand new glock on here that after tax is 515 they want to give you 400 .there are alot of people that play games on here lowballing or wont budge 5 bucks on an overpriced gun,i was tring to get a shotgun on here new these things were 225 it was mint but fired he wanted 225 would not budge ,not gonna do it.

I guess some people don't know how cheap things sell for. I got my Glock 33 recently for $399 shipped NIB. I guess it also depends on where the person bought it. Like someone said, if the person paid $600 they will probably list it at $550 rather than the $400 it sells for at Buds.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    People always think their stuff is worth me than it is. If it's your stuff, it's junk. If it is theirs, it is gold.

Just ignore the ads.

And why are you buying guns, or price comparison shopping at Wal-Mart? That place is an awful business to pick up guns from... check out some of the awesome site supporters we have. More often than not, I bet their prices beat Wal-Mart... I know their service does.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    You can PM after 15 posts.
    50 to reply in the thread.

Unless the rules have changed, you are not allowed to PM regarding an item listed in Classifieds. Of course you can still do it, but it is against the Classified Rules! If someone sees a great deal, it might be worth paying the $10 ($11 throught paypal) to become a Site Supporter, then you can skip the 50 post rule (unless the rules have changed).

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Some people definately get rediculous on their asking price. What cracks me up is looking at something that's been bumped about 20 times with a thousand views, but not one PM. At some point you'd hope the seller had the smarts to realize they needed to drop the price.

A lot of it can be timing though as well. I have a rifle up for sale that I thought was a steal and it sat and sat, and right after I had it sold I ended up with two or three guys wanting to jump on it right now after weeks of no activity.

I always figure, if I can't save $75 - $100 buying used with a low round count then why not just buy a new one. I use Buds to compare prices & read reviews, but they aren't as low as they used to be. I also use gunbroker for a reference, but that's hit or miss.

I usually count extra mags and holsters at half their price when I'm considering buying a package. As far as a home spray paint camo job goes, that takes another $50 off the value in my eyes. A duracoat if done professionally would up the price, but otherwise I'd be neutral on it.

Top Bottom