Guns! Guns!! Guns!!! Awesome Shooting Day w/ Long Lost Family!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    (kind of long winded, but probaly worth the read..;))

Just yesterday, I spent the batter part of Sunday afternoon with my step-father at his outdoor range he has at home, talking guns, shooting guns and coon-fingering as many guns as I could in his huge collection- for no other reason than to just say I've "held" this or that gun. :):

It was a special day for me, because my stepfather and I had a falling out approx. 23 years ago and we hadn't spoken nor seen each other in nearly a quarter century. All of that finally changed for the better about 6 weeks ago, where I extended an olive branch to him, apologizing for my stupidness back then and asking if we could bury the hatchet as it were, to begin to mend our relationship. Time has healed the wounds and we're both two different men now... He graciously acccepted and we speak about 3-4 times a week now, discussing a number of things as "catch-up" on 23 missed years of our lives.

He is the guy that first introduced me to guns, reloading, smithing and shooting sports in general when I was 9 years old. For the next decade, guns were my life, because they were his life and there wasn't a day that would go by- even in the Winter, that we didn't mess with something shooting related in some capacity. I loved it, but when I moved away with my bio-logical Father in 1988, I never heard hide, nor hair from my step-father again and my exposure to gun stuff ended- but not the interest he first instilled in me back in the late 70's. ;)

He gave me my first Daisy BB gun when I was 9, for which I tried to kil every bird within a 100 yard radius around the farm. Then, the next year at age 10, he gave me a vintage (now) Sheridan 5mm air rifle, which was a great Muskrat killer! Then he let me use his Savage .410 break-action, single-shot shotgun to take my first squirrel that same year and then letting me use his Ithaca M-37 Featherlight 12ga. shotgun to take my first deer at age 11 on our own wooded property we had back then. I shot my first handgun with him at age 12 and it was a ful-boogie Colt Python .357, for which I've never forgotten that to this very day!! :ar15:

Needless to say, all my most fondest memories of my first hunting trips, guns I shot, reloading, casting our own bullets, gunsmithing, working in his gun shop he had back then, going to match shoots, trap shooting and just about anything else shooting/gun related was introduced into my life by him. :) I now appreciate that special time he spent w/ me back then more than ever and my interest in guns to date is a direct result of that...

Yesterday, he let me shoot his Ruger Super BlackHawk .44 mag. 3-screw, "Old Model" wheel gun w/ an 8" barrel, using vintage *hot* re-loads his late brother loaded for him and cast the bullets for, way back in 1984! It was very special to me, because my step-father cherishes that gun (where no one but him shoots it) and he loved his late brother, whom he misses dearly. Plus, him allowing me to shoot those "special" rounds that his brother loaded for him nearly 25 years ago, was like letting me be a part of the family again, because I got to shoot with "Jr." and my step-father all over again, using something that meant a lot to and was created by both of them. My step only had 12 loaded cartridges left from Jr's original 1984 re-loads and I got to shoot 6 of them!! I'll never forget how GREAT it felt to fire off those rounds one-by-one- smiling and laughing all along the way! What awesome memories we made yesterday... Jr. would be proud!!! :patriot:

Then, he shot his Diamondback .380 mouse gun that I did some smithing on a few weeks ago. (I covered some of that on this board- https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...irearms_db380_pocket_gun_any_experiences.html) He loved the gun originally, but hated how it was always jemming up all the time and wanted to throw it away... After the work I did on it, it now shoots great, using any ammo without a hiccup and he LOVES it! He was so happy and it made me feel all choked-up inside to see how pleased he was with it, when it was this guy who introduced me to guns nearly 25 years ago in the first place! Who would've thought that he would choose ME to do smithing for HIM nearly a quater century later and it was an honor!!! What a great memory that was made and I'll never forget it!! :thumbsup:

I just recently found and bought a nearly exact copy of brand, model and year of that Ithaca M-37 12ga. and Savage .410 shotgun he let me shoot of his over two decades ago, for which my first hunting trips were also made. He was the guy who first taught me to shoot both of those guns way back in the day before I was a teenager!

Now, some 23-odd years later, here we were, standing next to each other (me at 40 and him at 67) doing the very same thing- sharing a few shells and shooting the very same guns he first taught me on, except they were now mine instead. Wow!! It was AWESOME and I felt so happy and blessed to have been able to come full circle to share in that experience with him like that! How lucky am I huh?! :cheers:

We tested my home defense gun I just got through smithing, (https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._12ga_pump_shotgun_refinements_pic_heavy.html) now dubbed the name "Kong", where he was pleasantly surprised and pleased on how well it turned out. That meant a lot to me coming from a guy of his veteran calibur in the shooting world....

He showed me numerous vintage and professional match guns of all kinds he's shot and won massive amounts of trophies with over the last 30 years. His collection is like a small armory and his "gun room" is impressive!! My favorite gun he has, (next to that Super BlackHawk) that I haven't got to shoot yet but hopefully can one day, is his vintage Colt Commander 1911 w/ Walnut Grips.. That gun is pure sex right there and I felt giddy just holding it!!! :banana:

Sorry for the lond-winded post guys, I didn't mean it to go on for so long, but I just wanted to share my great experiences with other fellow gun enthusiests, of my awesome shooting day with my recently reunited step-father. :)

For those of you that have sons and daughters (like me) spend that quality time with them, teaching them the right way to handle, shoot and hunt with guns, as I can gaurantee you, (speaking from direct experiences) those memories will absolutely last them a LIFETIME and they'll never forget it!

I haven't!!! :ingo::patriot:

Last edited:

Valor35

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Lafayette
    Awesome post -- and well worth the read!

Congratulations on getting back together with your stepdad. Enjoy it!!

Thanks for the warm fuzzy on a Monday morning!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    It's amazing the power that guns have to not only bring people together, but back together.

I father (adopted father) and I haven't talked much over the past 18 years or so, due to a holiday misunderstanding between him and myself, and his new "wife".

Anyway, he heard from my younger brother that I got my LTCH and was caarrying a S&W MP as my carry weapon, and he suddenly has decided he wants to get back into contact with me.

I don't know if it will turn out as happily as your experience has, but I have alot of found memories learning to shoot from him. Time will tell.

Congrats on your reconnection!!!!

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    It's amazing the power that guns have to not only bring people together, but back together.

I father (adopted father) and I haven't talked much over the past 18 years or so, due to a holiday misunderstanding between him and myself, and his new "wife".

Anyway, he heard from my younger brother that I got my LTCH and was caarrying a S&W MP as my carry weapon, and he suddenly has decided he wants to get back into contact with me.

I don't know if it will turn out as happily as your experience has, but I have alot of found memories learning to shoot from him. Time will tell.

Congrats on your reconnection!!!!
    Thanks and isn't that the truth!

He's an NRA Certified Instructor, where I'm taking his training classes in March and we're planning a wild boar hunt in the Fall. I've never done either...

Guess I'm gonna need a bigger gun...... LoL :):

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Great story man... thanks for sharing! As a proud father of a beautiful 11 yo girl who is interested in her first trip to the range, I can't wait to start building some memories of my own ;) This just inspires me more to arrange for her to come along next time.

(and gives me an excuse to purchase a 10/22 and a .22 pistol :P )

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    Backfire - That is an awesome story. I like the reconciliation part the best out of the entire well written story. Good for you.

Honestly, this story had such a happy ending that I fell asleep and the end and slept on my desk for about an hour with a smile on my face:D

Seriously, great to hear!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Great story!! My dad taught me how to shoot when I was a kid, good old 22 lever action. It was stolen from him years ago and he never replaced it so two yers ago my brothers and mom got him a new Henry 22 lever action for his birthday. Now myself, all 3 younger brothers and dad shoot together sometimes. Feels good and again great story!

jontz

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    I could spit into Michigan
    Thank you do much for sharing your story! It wasn't long winded at all, and I enjoyed reading it. My son is 9, and I am planning on taking him shooting for the first time this year and making some memories. Your story is a good reminder to all of us to not let our differences/pride get in the way of the relationships that matter the most to us. I'm very impressed with you for extending the olive branch and apologizing. That's the mark of a true man.

mconnery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Richmond, IN.
    Glad you and he are back together. I lost my step-dad to cancer about 23 years ago. He too was the one that introduced me to guns. He and I also had some falling out, but did mend the path before he got sick. I was glad he got to see me get my dream job as a police officer and see my son born, six months later he was gone. Cherish your time with him.

jb28

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Great story! I too am taking my son and step-son to the range and to the woods hunting and stuff, builing our own memories. I cherish everyone of those times, and will never forget when I too was in their place with my father, God rest his soul. Brings back some good times...

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    That's pretty neat what you guys' are doing with your family members and shooting sports, as everyone will remember that stuff for a lifetime. :)

The more I'm around it, I've noticed it seems as if this sport/hobby means something personally different for each person, which is what's really cool. The anti-gun nuts don't have any clue what they're really missing in life. That's too bad....

I can't wait until my young'ins grow up enough to teach them a thing or two, as my 4 year old daughter already counts daddy's new boolits whenever I bring a new box home. ;) She's a peach!

BTW- My stepfather just sent me a photo of the obliterated Dish we shot up yesterday! It's now my laptop wall paper. :):

dish1.jpg

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    That was a wonderful well written story. Glad you and your step-dad were able to reconnect. I hope you have many more happy and memorable times together.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    Congratulations Backfire! Great post and as much as it means to you to reconcile, I am sure it means even more to your stepdad! Kudos to you both for realizing that life is too short and family should always come first, if at all possible.

Top Bottom