• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    We all know that Wal-Mart was far from the first big retailer to use its size and sales volume to negotiate ways to enhance their own competitive advantage in the firearms marketplace.

Sears, Montgomery Ward, J.C. Penny, Western Auto, K-Mart - the list could go on and on. They all contracted with the major manufacturers for special runs of some of their more popular existing models. Quite often these were sold under one of the retailer's proprietary trade names, like "Revelation" or "J.C. Higgins". In most cases, there were minor differences, almost always strictly cosmetic, from the standard specs found on the maker's regular production models made in order to allow both the manufacturer and the retailer to sell them at a lower price point profitably, but I know of no instance where any of them were true "factory 2nds" by any stretch of the term.

It's my understanding from several dealers I know that the major advantage of the Big Box outfits' volume purchasing power is that it makes it possible for them to sell things like a Marlin M60 or Ruger 10/22 profitably for less money than most any independant dealer can even buy one for. I've been shown the jobber/wholesaler catalogs and price lists that back that up, too.

The regular little guys have no practical way to access those Economies of Scale, and they've gotta eat and pay their creditors just like the rest of us. The unit price you pay is going to pretty much always be higher when you're buying two or three at a time than it'd be if you're buying 500, whether it's rolls of toilet paper or cases of ammo.

Just the way I see it, but if we all don't keep doing enough of our business with the local folks to at least keep them viable, even if it costs us a bit more, we'll live to see a time when we'll sorely regret it.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    thinking of purchasing a mossberg 500 with extra barrel from walmart just because its only $280 bucks. and is made with nicely detailed wood. just can't find anywhere else that comes close to that price.

Farmritch

Expert
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    OC
    If you look at a WM gun you will see in the Model number of the 10/22 it will show WM ( 10/22WM)
    Just as K mart used to contract with Remington & others also
    Seconds? NOT
    But they contract for a (lot) and are able to sell them accordingly eliminating the middle or multiple middle men

Z-Glock23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2010
    Highland,IN
    I bought a Mossberg Silver Reserve O/U 12ga. from Walmart and I never had problems with it, and I sold it to my buddy and it fires and looks just as good as the day I took it out of the box. I think the owner of the gunshop may have said that just trying to save himself a sale, especially now adays that money is tight now adays and he may be just barely making by like a lot of people out there.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    dante.jpg

Look Virgil, we have raised another long dead post!

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    I worked in sporting goods at our local WallyWorld for 6 years and sold alot of guns and bought a few for myself along the way! Have heard the "seconds" thing myself but all the firearms I have bought are still shooting good and look great! Broke my heart when our local store quit selling guns. We need a list on here showing all the Wally's in Indiana that still sell firearms!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I tend to buy some things at chain stores, and I buy other things at good gun stores. As other folks have said, you want to keep the good gun stores in business. That, and they will take care of you when you have questions and problems. You get what you pay for. I'll pay 2-5% more for something to support a local independent business, if that business is a good one.

bobbystoney

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    I was hoping that somebody had a list of WM's that sold guns as well. The 3 in Lafayette don't. The one in Crawfordsville, nope, not there either.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    None in the Indy area do.

Not sure about Franklin...can't remember for sure. Don't think that they do.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Ask the person behind the counter what scope rings you need for a 50MM endbell scope on a 10/22, or what twist is the barrel? Most Walmart sales people don't have a clue what they are sellling. The gunshop who claimed factory seconds blew it, he should of just told the truth and highlighted what he offered for the extra money. (service and knowledge I hope)

I have been in a Walmart 6 or 7 times in the last 15 years, only if it is the only option will I give them my bussiness.

I still remember when Walmart had signs at the door saying NO FIREARMS PERMITTED INSIDE, they retracted that policy after the public threw a fit.
    But I still remember where their heart was, they didn't want my gun inside they don't want me inside.

Walmart used to be big on Made in the USA now they seem to be ANTI USA.

Sorry my money goes to the locals(hardware stores, grocery stores, and gun shops)

Steve A

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    I'm in Illinois and haven't found a Walmart in my area that still sells guns. I was in a Walmart in Florida a month ago, no guns there, either.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    "Service and Knowledge you hope" lol I have never purchased a gun from Wal-mart nor have I ever depended on a shop owner or gun store employee to educate me on on a gun purchase. I do my own research from the manufacture or forums. Forums are useful for knowledge and opinion as are SOME gun store employees but take what you like and leave the bull there.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Anytime I go to MCSPORTS, while the fellas there are usually friendly, once I whip out my iPhone to start researching, they get pissed and usually walk away. It's not that I am comparing prices, but sometimes I want to see more detailed specs and reviews on something I am looking at. I almost always research what I am buying before I buy it. Since we don't have a good local shop in Bloomington, our options are limited. Sometimes, I just prefer to order up online and not talk to anyone about what I am buying. I can usually figure out if something is worth it or not just buy browsing forums and other review sites.

Brick and mortar is on it's way out.

Places like Buds Gun Shop are showing the way.

While it's not very intimate, as I like to fondle a firearm before I buy it, it still seems to work well enough to keep me happy.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i ran into this wth my latest bow. i called my local shop that ive done business with for years. he said he couldn't touch the prce i found it for and there would be no hard fealings if i bought else where. this guy does all my ffl transfers for free so i felt alot of loyality to him. he eventually said i cant lower the price on my bear bow, but i can order you a pse (probably a better bow) and lower the price on it to close to the same price as he would sell the bear for. so i ordered the pse. it cost me about 100 extra bucks but i figure he has saved me that in transfer fees. and i was able to support local economy and support man who saves me money every chance he gets. if he gets a gun in he thinks i want and doesn't have to clean it or do anything to it he will call me and sell it to me for what he knocked off the price for trade in. it works out well somtimes i win somtimes he wins

cmcate

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    Greenfield
    huntall is right. it's not very reasonable to expect an employee to know about every gun in their store if they have a large inventory. Take Bradis for example. They have hundreds of guns in their store. It's unfair to expect the salespeople to know the ins and outs for every gun. While the staff at Bradis is very knowledgeable, it's a good idea to do your own research as well.

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I sold firearms for many years. That factory seconds is simply the best wifes tale this guy could come up with. The smaller shops dont get the huge discount prices and need to make a better profit margin. Period. End of story

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Holy thread resurrection Batman!
    batman.gif

Never fails see a thread reopened that's older than 4 months old and it's a noob with less than 50 post.

You'd figure that with almost 3 quarter of a million messages that they could find one that's 2 weeks old or newer at least.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

RHorn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Noblesville
    I'm in Illinois and haven't found a Walmart in my area that still sells guns. I was in a Walmart in Florida a month ago, no guns there, either.

I think it just depends on the location. Most of the walmarts in the Indianapolis area no longer sell guns. They do still sell balckpowder and ammo though. A lot of the rural walmarts still sell them though.

Top Bottom