• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I had a friend call lastnite to tell me this story;It seems he wanted to buy a 22 rifle so he went to a gunshop in his town to see what they had. He had already decided he wanted to buy a Marlin Model 60 because of the price. He said he couldn't believe the price this gunshop had on Marlins and when he asked why they were priced so much higher than the same models he had seen at Walmart the owner told him "because Walmart sells factory seconds"??? I got quite a chuckle out of this because I've heard that before. I told my friend that I didn't think any gun manufacturer would sell "seconds" and I have never been to the gun outlet store. I realize when you buy from a dealer you may or may not get better service if anything is wrong with your gun. I also understand that a dealer has alot more overhead than Walmart and doesn't buy in bulk to be able to get a better price. But ,to tell people that they are selling "factory seconds" seems like a slap in the face to not only Walmart but the gun makers also. Well, my friend decided he could live with a "factory second" and with the money he saved he also bought a "factory second" scope and ammo to boot.

holejack1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2009
    South West Indiana
    I bought a "factory second" 10/22 from Wallytown in like '92 or something. Maybe the guy at the gun shop is grasping at straws trying to compete with retail giants, or maybe I'm just not choosy, but it was $99 then, and I'm happy with the gun and still have it.
    Btw, Wallyville sells a stainless 10/22 that isn't sold anywhere else that I know of, and I'm think about going back for seconds on those seconds. :)

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    WallMart can put a pretty big hurt on independents - it's all very good and legal.
    Independent gun shops are the life blood of the recreational shooter. But the owner of this shop was full of baloney - probably did not have an honest answer or was desperate to keep his price up there.
    I wonder if the shop owner buys his ammo at wallmart.

norman428

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    how can there be "factory seconds" thats like saying one is less reliable than the other...but their from the same place?

Its just dealer markup, wal-mart doesn't mark them up because they make money elsewhere.

Srtsi4wd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I had the choice of a plain black Marlin 60 with nothing else at the gunshop or the 60SS with a cheap scope for much less at WallyWorld.
    It was a brand new gun, still in the plastic until I opened it at the counter. Not a blemish or a mark on it.
    It wasn't hard to decide for me. Even comparing apples to apples WalMart had them beat by $60! On a $150 dollar gun thats a lot!

Same goes for the 917 I've got my eye on. Gunshop wants $100+ dollars more for the exact same gun. I want to support the shop, but I can't let myself get railed like that. Maybe if I was independently wealthy...:dunno:

Viper393

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Clark County
    I bought my 10/22 from Service Merchandise (way back in 1977). I have no problems about buying where I can save some $$$

That brings back a lot of memories! I bought my Browning BPS and Ruger 10/22 from Service Merchandise back in the mid-80's when I was in high school. I used to go there and drool over the guns behind the counter. I had forgotten all about that.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    You can't compete with Wally World so find your nitch

Being a one man firearms business I don't even try to compete with the storefronts on most items as they often get a better price due to their volume. I know there is a need for a good FFL that will do transfers in the NE area. I try to give the best service possible and have a lot of repeat customers so I must be doing something right. Once in awhile I sell a few guns or lowers but only if I price them so low I would be better just doing a transfer and not put up with the hastle of buying and selling. You have to pick your fight and you won't win against the WalMarts of this world. :twocents:

Revolverteer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    I frequently buy .22 ammo from Walmart in bulk because they have about the best price there is on it. But I also try to give my local FFL's my business on other items. Not only because they are friends of mine, but to help keep them in business. If no one buys from the local dealers, they will go out of business. Then Walmart will have a monopoly and then what would happen if Walmart suddenly stopped selling firearms and ammo? So even if it costs me a couple of dollars more, I give my friends and dealers some of my business too.

Whiskey Lake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Indy Area
    I frequently buy .22 ammo from Walmart in bulk because they have about the best price there is on it. But I also try to give my local FFL's my business on other items. Not only because they are friends of mine, but to help keep them in business. If no one buys from the local dealers, they will go out of business. Then Walmart will have a monopoly and then what would happen if Walmart suddenly stopped selling firearms and ammo? So even if it costs me a couple of dollars more, I give my friends and dealers some of my business too.

Here, Here! I agree whole heartedly. Don't let the locals go out of business!

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Ill support local but as soon as they start BSing me im gone. If a gunshop started talking like that id just go buy from walmart. I have no respect for people trash talking the competition, no matter who the competition is.

Britton

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Knoxville
    On some guns the same gun that an independent shop gets from their suppliers is the same as what Walmart gets. However, on some other guns there is a difference. But, I would not call them factory seconds. An example is the Remington 870's, take a look a the wood on a Walmart 870 and an independant gun stores 870 and in some cases you will see a differance. Again, would not call it a factory seconds though.
    Now I have noticd in the past a differance in some ammo, especially value packed .45ACP and shotgun shells. We have had several folks buy auto shotguns from us and the guns would not run well on Walmart ammo, however they would run on the same kind of ammo from our store. When I say the same ammo, it is the same load from the same manufacture but they are packed differrently. As far as the 45 ACP goes I have had no problems with Winchester "Q" loads, but have had several poroblems with Winchester Value Pakced loads.
    Personally I don't consider Walmart competetion and could care less what they sell, I still think they are the Devil, but that comes from othere issues I have had with them.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I had a friend call lastnite to tell me this story;It seems he wanted to buy a 22 rifle so he went to a gunshop in his town to see what they had. He had already decided he wanted to buy a Marlin Model 60 because of the price. He said he couldn't believe the price this gunshop had on Marlins and when he asked why they were priced so much higher than the same models he had seen at Walmart the owner told him "because Walmart sells factory seconds"??? I got quite a chuckle out of this because I've heard that before. I told my friend that I didn't think any gun manufacturer would sell "seconds" and I have never been to the gun outlet store. I realize when you buy from a dealer you may or may not get better service if anything is wrong with your gun. I also understand that a dealer has alot more overhead than Walmart and doesn't buy in bulk to be able to get a better price. But ,to tell people that they are selling "factory seconds" seems like a slap in the face to not only Walmart but the gun makers also. Well, my friend decided he could live with a "factory second" and with the money he saved he also bought a "factory second" scope and ammo to boot.

A dealer does not have near the "overhead" that a Wal-Mart does. They also do not buy in bulk in any way that a Wal-Mart does. I agree that I don't believe they sell factory seconds, but because they buy so many they can sell them that much cheaper.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Wal-Mart overhead

A dealer does not have near the "overhead" that a Wal-Mart does. They also do not buy in bulk in any way that a Wal-Mart does. I agree that I don't believe they sell factory seconds, but because they buy so many they can sell them that much cheaper.

I would venture to guess that Wal-Mart, dollar sales to dollar sales vs the small gun shop probably has a lower percentage of overhead cost. Remember a retailer does not make his money on what he sells his product for, the market dictates that, but what he buys it for. Wal-Mart has such buying power they buy dirt cheap so can sell in much larger volume. Most of the vendors of Wal-Mart carry their customers overhead cost, not Wally World. :twocents:

buckfever34

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Jackson County, IN
    I will say that I know for a fact that Wal-Mart sells some guns for at or below regular dealer cost. That is why you will never see me trying to stock Mossberg 500s, Mossberg Plinksters, etc. I do stock 10/22s (just because every funshop should) but make only $11 on each one because I don't like people saying "I can buy it for $XX.XX amount at Wal-Mart. I have nothing against Wal-Mart. Their business model has worked to make a lot of people a lot of money.

I have but two questions: What does Wal-Mart do to protect our second amendment rights?

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I have but two questions: What does Wal-Mart do to protect our second amendment rights?

They sell guns and ammo.

I'm not a fan of Walmart but the fact that they still sell guns and ammo helps us out a great deal. You used to be able to by guns everywhere now very few retailers carry any guns or ammo. As long as they are selling it they are promoting it so don't bash them to much!

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    True Walmart does not sell seconds but you do have to watch for something else. Not always but sometimes I have seen in Walmart a rifle that does not have some of the details that you would find at a local shop. Walmart buys in bulk. They can can work with the manufacturer to cut the cost of the rifles and have their own "frugal" design.
    One I can remember was a Ruger 10/22RB 18.5" barrel (the base line model). All the stock ones I have ever seen have a metal bracket at the end of the forarm that goes around the barrel. This one did not and it looked like the forearm was not shaped to have the band. Also a synthetic 10/22 with the thin stock and the Ruger name molded in. Also remember seeing Weatherby (yes Weatherby at Walmart) rifles with synthetic stocks and a metal finish that made the rifle look cheap (in my opinion). So no seconds but make sure of the details that it is actually apples to apples.

Top Bottom