• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    Everyone (especially Marion county residents) get ready for the reports of gunshots at the turn of the new year. Christ does that scare the heck out of me! :dunno:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Just a few more short hours.

I'm drooling now, knowing that I will soon be sending
    my neighbors dogs (and maybe even some of them)
    scampering under the bed for cover.

The waiting is killing me.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    For the record, I will be using "legal", large self propelled rockets
    that explode hundreds of feet above the ground showering all kinds
    of deadly glowing embers as they fall gracefully back to Earth.

At no time would I ever encourage anyone to fire a weapon towards the sky.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Isn't it just wonderful? The only day of the year where you can fire your gun up in the air and never stop to wonder or worry just where those bullets might land.:rolleyes:

Biggest day of the year for responsible gun owners. I can't wait to read the headlines in the morning to see if anyone was killed by a bullet falling from the sky.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Lots of hype. No one has ever been killed by a bullet being fired strait up into the air.... the homies shooting them like they are artillery pieces is another matter however.

In any event, if you've ever driven thru Hammond (for example) at midnight you'll know that thousands of rounds are sent skyward every year. No one ever gets killed. Which may just be luck due to the inordinate amount of idiots shooting at 45 degree angles out their back doors, but it illustrates the point that falling bullets don't kill.

For the people who have to see it on the TeeVee, Mythbusters had a half way decent episode about it once.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Lots of hype. No one has ever been killed by a bullet being fired strait up into the air.... the homies shooting them like they are artillery pieces is another matter however.

In any event, if you've ever driven thru Hammond (for example) at midnight you'll know that thousands of rounds are sent skyward every year. No one ever gets killed. Which may just be luck due to the inordinate amount of idiots shooting at 45 degree angles out their back doors, but it illustrates the point that falling bullets don't kill.

For the people who have to see it on the TeeVee, Mythbusters had a half way decent episode about it once.

Technically speaking, a bullet starts falling the instant it leaves the barrel :D

(just being a smartass)

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Technically speaking, a bullet starts falling the instant it leaves the barrel :D

(just being a smartass)

Yep, a bullet dropped from your hand and a bullet fired from a gun at the same height (if fired parallel to the ground) will both hit the ground at the same time.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Not a single one of those stories involved a bullet falling from the sky that had previously been fired strait up in the air.

I'm guessing you just read the article titles, Nice try though.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not a single one of those stories involved a bullet falling from the sky that had previously been fired strait up in the air.

I'm guessing you just read the article titles, Nice try though.

That was my point in posting them. It's obviously a safe practice and a great idea! Now if someone in Indiana does die and the media can come on here and find that we have responsible gun owners encouraging the practice, we will all benefit from the greatly improved opinion of us by the great unwashed.

Quick! Someone post a thread about which guns are preferred for shooting straight up in the air!!!

Maybe Larue will make a rail mounted bubble level so we can be sure we're actually pointing straight up when we shoot and we can look totally bada$$ while doing it.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Quick! Someone post a thread about which guns are preferred for shooting straight up in the air!!!

Maybe Larue will make a rail mounted bubble level so we can be sure we're actually pointing straight up when we shoot and we can look totally bada$$ while doing it.
    :laugh:

ROFL! I'd rep you if I had any left for today!

Personally I'd prefer a pistol caliber for firing up in the air.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Don't shoot your foot.

Damn. Is that what I've been doing wrong?

I'm just curious about this. Everyone always screams bloody murder about people who fire rounds into the air. Why don't people just walk out into their yard and fire those same rounds into the ground instead? Where would be the problem with that?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Damn. Is that what I've been doing wrong?

I'm just curious about this. Everyone always screams bloody murder about people who fire rounds into the air. Why don't people just walk out into their yard and fire those same rounds into the ground instead? Where would be the problem with that?

Lots of people are surrounded by concrete.

Not me, mind you. I wouldn't live somewhere I can't step outside and shoot anytime I wanted :) I can almost shoot in any direction at any angle I want with a pistol and not worry about hitting someone. Can't say that about the rifles :(

ronald wilson

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    I work commercial maintenance. We take care of lots of large buildings. Every year we are looking for/ tracking leaks up on the roofs and we dig bullets out of the roofs with our pocket knives. There is always more of these in the first couple monthe following NYE. Also more after July 4th.

Top Bottom