• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SaintsNSinners

Shooter
    Rating - 94.1%
    16   1   0
    Mar 3, 2012
    At Work in Indy
    I need to make a quick trip to our neighbor to the east (Ohio). Picking up a new to me car. The plan is I'm grryhounding to cincinatti and driving back. Has anyone gone on a greyhound ride lately? What's the security like?

What's my best option?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Ohio does not recognize Indiana's LTCH.
    If you have a Utah permit you're good to go.

I don't know about Greyhound, but in the paranoia laced society we live in today, I'd be careful.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Not to mention a large number of Greyhound tickets are purchased by the State and Federal Governments for State and Federal Inmates for getting them to their home of record or in some cases the lower security ones to get to a nother institution! Just FYI since most of the public doesn't know about that practice!

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    Maybe a one way rental. I used Enterprise a few years back for something like this. Was around $100.00 but worth the privacy of my own area and freedom to stop/go on my own. Plus it was quicker, Greyhound has stops and sometimes they wait 20-30 minutes before hitting road again.

Another option is making it a trip with a significant other or friend and both drive back. It's not too far.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The law says you can't carry on a plane. It doesn't mention a bus that I'm aware of.

That is because the Federal Aviation Administration specifically is involved in everything with aircraft. Especially commercial air travel.

Greyhounds are not as regulated so it would depend on local laws etc. However, I have never seen any TSA typ entrance proceedures on Greyhounds.

cmj

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Apr 10, 2011
    I GreyDogged to St. Louis a couple years back (before I was old enough to carry) and it was a SCARY experience. If you have your Utah permit, I wouldn't think twice about carrying. If you don't have Utah It is up to you to infringe legalities, but if it were ME....

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    On Board Restrictions

For everyone's safety and comfort, Greyhound asks that customers please follow certain restrictions while on board. Federal law does not permit smoking on Greyhound buses. We have a zero tolerance for alcohol, drugs, weapons and unruly behavior.

Source: Greyhound.com | Traveling By Bus

Prohibited Items for Checked Baggage

Acids, ammunition, animals, combustible liquids, compressed gases, corpses, cremated remains, explosives, firearms of all types, fireworks, flammable liquids, furniture, hazardous materials (poisons, radioactive materials, etc.), materials with a disagreeable odor, matches, merchandise for resale, protruding articles, or any unsecured articles including those in plastic or paper bags are prohibited.

Source: Greyhound.com | Baggage Information

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I'd probably just rent a car. Don't NRA members get a discount at Hertz? Regardless, rent the cheapest economy car possible for 1 day, and you can drop it off in Cinci. You'll get there faster, and probably for less than $100. It doesn't have to be comfortable or powerful; you'll only be in it for a few hours.

Top Bottom