• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Has anyone else heard the news that late Saturday night gun shots were reported outside of the Union at IU? I am surprised that this story is not getting more coverage here, so I thought I would mention it. For some reason my links to the story aren't working, but you can search the Indiana Daily Student and the IndyStar webpages to read it. The short version is that police found two separate piles of casings (9mm and 45acp) in the parking lot. Apparently there was a "dance" being held in a nearby building, during which a fight broke out. Given the two separe piles of two different calibers, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to speculate a gun fight occured between the two guys fighting in the dance.

Two things really, really upset me about this. First, there is almost no media coverage of this. There has been far more coverage of the hundreds of drinking arrests over the weekend (it was Little 500) than of the shots. Of course I know that IU wants to minimize this, but this is a matter of public safety. The worst part is that the IndyStar doesn't seem to care, and I never heard one mention on any of the news channels. Second, there is no doubt in my mind that this shooting is related to the Little 5 events. Each year, the frats and sororities bring in nationally-famous rap groups to 'preform.' I am a graduate student at IU, and it is common knowledge amongst students that these groups bring with them large entourages of less-than-desirable folks, and that several gang members from Chicago come down as well. I have also heard reports that it is in their contracts that IUPD and Bloomington Police cannot provide any security for the groups of the concerts (they have their own security). I cannot understand why IU allows this to occur.

Okay, I'm done venting now. If anyone knows any additional details please post them. Also, for me at least this event has inspired me to get more active about working towards CC at IU; I encourage others to work on this as well.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Yeah, heard about it and posted it on my Facebook, figured someone would post it here. I'm not surprised no one covered it really.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    idsnews.com | Indiana Daily Student |

Gunshots at IMU lot spark investigation

By Lindsey Erdody | IDS
    POSTED AT 11:52 PM ON Apr. 26, 2009

The IU Police Department is investigating gunshots that officers heard at 1:41 a.m. Sunday in the Indiana Memorial Union’s Pay Lot 2 on the north side of Seventh Street.

About 10 officers were directing traffic in the area when they heard the gunshots. They searched the area and found five 9-mm shell casings and two 45-caliber shell casings, according to a press release.

Police were originally called to the area after receiving reports of a fight at a dance at the IMU.

Police did not find any people or property struck by the gunfire, said IUPD Capt. Jerry Minger.

Officers cleared the area and spoke with potential witnesses, but with more than 600 people leaving the IMU, officers had a difficult time finding valid information, Minger said.
    Police identified three vehicles that could have been involved. The vehicles were searched, but no evidence was found, Minger said.

IUPD has no suspects or witnesses at this time, but Minger said the department hopes someone will come forward with more information.

He encouraged anyone with information to contact IUPD’s Investigation Section at 855-4111.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    yeah I'd heard about it too...heard they found the casings but no sign of blood etc. They weren't sure if anyone was hurt etc. not alot coverage, but more of a mention.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Two things really, really upset me about this. First, there is almost no media coverage of this. There has been far more coverage of the hundreds of drinking arrests over the weekend (it was Little 500) than of the shots. Of course I know that IU wants to minimize this, but this is a matter of public safety.

Did you hear about the students that died last week drinking and driving at IU? Or the increase of college prenancy these last 2 yrs at IU? Or the outbreak of HPV in the ages of 14yr to 35 in women? Of course not....but that would be nice.

I am happy when guns are kept out of the news, it goes against the cause. Did you know that last year just under 1 million crimes were prevented by armed cititzens just in the US.

Good info, I just disagree. I don't like it when gun violence makes the new, especially when its only suspect.

norsk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    These are some good replies, and I understand the 'no news is good news' idea, but my (current) thought on this is that clearly the two guys who were shooting were not following the rules, so as we all know the people that follow the rules and don't carry to protect themselves are in danger. So, my thought is that this act of gun violence could be used to demonstrate that campus isn't safe just because there is a no-guns rule. It also seems this argument would be stronger if it was found out that the two guys were not students, but rather in town for the Little 5.

J4Me

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Last week a kid was hit over the head with a baseball bat and beaten pretty badly, too. Too bad he wasn't armed!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    It was posted on here a few days ago, with few replies, and since there wasn't much known about the story at the time I think it was pretty much dropped as a topic of interest.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think the op is upset because it shows that you aren't going to stop it. By making colleges off-limits all you do is disarm the law (or rule) abiding people. He is upset because guns were against the rules, and somehow, they still ended up there.

coltaceguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Indiana
    Pretty sure this is the same "dance" where someone fired off an AK 2-3yrs ago, after a fight...

Search you can find the story, doesn't surprise me at all.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    my (current) thought on this is that clearly the two guys who were shooting were not following the rules, so as we all know the people that follow the rules and don't carry to protect themselves are in danger.

Anti-gunners don't see it that way.

This is what they see:

LOOK!!! THIS IS WHY THEY SHOULDN'T ALLOW GUNS ON UNIVERSITY CAMPUSES!!!

MORE GUNS ARE NOT THE ANSWER, IF EVERYONE HAD GUNS THIS WOULD HAVE TURNED INTO A MASSACRE KILLING THOUSANDS!!!

Anti-gunners don't differentiate between people who obviously don't care about the laws (so laws don't deter) and gun owners like yourself. According to them, these (likely) thugs own guns... you own guns... you == thug.

I'm happy to see they didn't take this and use it to further their anti-gun cause.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom