• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fatvette

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Brownsburg, Indiana
    This is the type of stuff we don't need...

Per Fox News: Gun-Toting Soccer Mom, Husband Shot Dead - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

LEBANON, Pennsylvania — A soccer mom who gained national attention when she openly carried a loaded gun to her 5-year-old daughter's game was shot dead Wednesday along with her husband in what appeared to be a murder-suicide, police said.
    Meleanie Hain and Scott Hain were pronounced dead Wednesday night at their home in Lebanon, a small city about 80 miles west of Philadelphia.
    The couple's three children were home at the time but weren't hurt, police said. They were taken to stay with friends and relatives.
    Meleanie Hain, 31, and Scott Hain, 33, had been having marital problems for about a week, neighbor Mark Long said. Scott Hain had left the couple's home on Tuesday, and Meleanie Hain didn't know where he was, but he returned Wednesday, Long said.
    Autopsies on the Hains were to be conducted Thursday, coroner Dr. Jeffrey Yocum said.
    Meleanie Hain made headlines after she attended a children's soccer game in a park on Sept. 11, 2008, with a handgun in plain view holstered on her hip, upsetting other parents.
    The county sheriff, Michael DeLeo, revoked her gun-carrying permit nine days later.
    Hain successfully appealed the permit revocation, although the judge who restored the permit questioned her judgment and said she had "scared the devil" out of other people at the game.

Hain sued DeLeo in federal court, alleging that he violated her constitutional rights and prosecuted her maliciously when he took the permit away. She said that because of his actions her baby-sitting service had suffered, her children had been harassed and she had been ostracized by her neighbors in Lebanon, which has about 25,000 residents.
    DeLeo said at Hain's appeal that he revoked her permit after fielding the parents' complaints. He said he based his decision on a state law that prohibits certain gun permits from being given to anyone whose character and reputation make him or her a danger to public safety.
    After Hain sued DeLeo, the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence, which says it tries to reform the gun industry through sensible regulations, offered to defend him for free.
    "It is a case that calls out for common sense," Brady Center attorney Daniel Vice said then. "It's ridiculous to bring a gun to a child's soccer game."
    A court hearing on Hain's $1 million lawsuit was postponed in May after an attorney in the case was involved in a traffic accident.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This is the type of stuff we don't need...
    No lie.

It didn't say who did what, but the shooter was one stupid selfish b***h either way.
    Orphan your kids, crap on everybody who had your back, leave all your family and friends grieving, let everybody else deal with the :poop:storm you created.
    Idiots. Morons. Fricken blankity blanks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No lie.

It didn't say who did what, but the shooter was one stupid selfish b***h either way.
    Orphan your kids, crap on everybody who had your back, leave all your family and friends grieving, let everybody else deal with the :poop:storm you created.
    Idiots. Morons. Fricken blankity blanks.

You took the words right out of my mouth!:xmad:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    put your tin hat on.

does it seem suspicious to anyone else, that the hearings were postponed because the judge was in a car accident, and then a muder suicide? seems to me like the guys at brady might have a little blood on their hands on this one.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    does it seem suspicious to anyone else, that the hearings were postponed because the judge was in a car accident, and then a muder suicide? seems to me like the guys at brady might have a little blood on their hands on this one.
    I don't know about the Brady's being the ones pulling the strings, but yeah, I had the same thought.

But then again, she might actually have been unstable and the sheriff might have been absolutely right to revoke her license, too.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    But then again, she might actually have been unstable and the sheriff might have been absolutely right to revoke her license, too.
    Hmm...interesting point. Was all of her previous story just in text or was there any video of her (interview or candid) anywhere?

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I grew up just south of Lebanon Pa. in Lancaster Pa. My father and I deer, turkey and small game hunted around Lebanon most of my young adult life, as a matter of fact my first rifle was purchased at Wolf's gun shop in Lebanon Pa. This is a very rural area, a very large part of the county is comprised of state game lands #156, #225 and #46 and this is where I hunted for many years, I know the area like the back of my hand. Unfortunately I must say there are a lot of unsophisticated Bubbas and Bubbette's to be found there.

After having been gone from there for many years it sometimes surprises me the crazy azz :poop: that goes on there. Or maybe it doesn't... I was shot at one time in state game land #156 for no apparent reason at all,(I had plenty of orange on.) When my father and I would scout for places to hunt we always looked for a rock outcropping of some sort where we could find cover if necessary. As the sun would come up first day, it was typical to see orange becoming visible all over the place, if had come a Deer, a perfect crossfire would have commenced. It was pretty commonplace to later that day see multiple pickup trucks parked at the bars along the highway with deer roped over the hoods whilst the hunters found livation to warm their toes. This almost seemed more like a way to show off the trophy than to warm toes as many would still remain come nightfall. This seemed the tradition even though it rewarded them with a frozen deer carcass that was contorted to the contour of the vehicle hood and hard to hang. I guess what I mean to say is that this happening there doesn't surprise me all that much. :dunno:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Found out about this a couple hours after it happened. Melanie was an acquaintance of an instructor friend of mine; he reported sitting and chatting with her at a birthday party last Saturday. Her husband, Scott, was an LEO, and was scheduled to take a class on fingerprinting and notary work from my friend this weekend.

Needless to say, the whole thing came as a complete shock; my friend said he had no idea Scott was capable of such a heinous act.

Prayers for the victims and those left behind.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't know about the Brady's being the ones pulling the strings, but yeah, I had the same thought.

She was a friend.... and not unstable.

He was a cop, didn't know him well, but one would hope he wasn't unstable.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    This from another source:

"Several neighbors said they heard or saw the couple's children run from the house screaming, "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before the 911 Center was called at 6:20 p.m.

The children, 2- and 6-year-old girls and a 10-year-old boy, were in the care of a neighbor and were unhurt, said Wright.

The Lebanon County Emergency Services Unit was quickly called to the scene and the neighborhood cordoned off.

The front door of the house was open, and light could be seen inside the living room. But all inside and around the house was quiet as members of the Lebanon police and tactical team, armed with rifles, took up positions.

Petra Bossler, who lives next to the Hain home on Grant Street, said she did not hear any commotion or gunfire from the Hain home. She learned something had happened only when police came to her door and asked to come inside so they could peer from her windows at the Hain house, which is just several feet away.

Debbie Mise, who lives on East Grant Street, three doors away from the Hains, said she heard a strange sound followed by the screams of the children, which she mistook for playing.

"I heard something heavy drop or fall, and then right away I heard the kids screaming, but I thought they were playing," she said. "It was loud. But it didn't sound like a pop."

Brian Witmer, who lives between Mise and Bossler said he saw Scott Hain mowing the lawn about 3:30 p.m. Wednesday.

"He was mowing his lawn, and the dog was outside. There was nothing out of the ordinary. He didn't seem strange at all," he said."
    johnlatimer@ldnews.com

causerofwait

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    another article

Soccer parents wince at prospect of guns at games

By James Brown

October 17, 2008, 10:48PM

large_hain.jpg
    JIM ZENGERLE, The Lebanon Daily NewsIsabella Hain, 5, gives her mother, Meleanie Hain, a hug before heading onto the soccer field on Sept. 23 at Optimist Park in Lebanon. Meleanie Hain's insistance on wearing her loaded Glock 26 to the game has other parents up in arms.
    Sharon Gregg-Bolognese, the president of the Central Pennsylvania Youth Soccer League, has been getting an earful from parents and coaches who are worried that people will start packing pistols to their children's soccer games.
    In a case that gained national attention, a Lebanon County judge ruled Tuesday that Meleanie Hain should get back her concealed-gun permit, which the county sheriff revoked after Hain openly carried a gun to her 5-year-old daughter's soccer game.
    medium_hain2.jpg
    CHRIS KNIGHT, The Patriot-NewsGun owner Meleanie Hain speaks to the media after her gun-permit hearing at the Lebanon County Courthouse in Lebanon on Tuesday.
    Since then, dozens of readers have posted comments on PennLive.com either applauding or attacking the ruling and Hain's comments that she will likely continue to carry her gun at her children's soccer games. Comments on the PennLive forum use words such as "arrogant jerk," "idiot," "dufus," "cowards" and "sheepish."

Most of the comments on PennLive have come from people applauding the right to openly bear arms.
    But a lot of the parents at soccer games feel differently, Gregg-Bolognese said.
    "Come on, a 5-year-old's soccer game?" she said. "I mean, really. But if she was in my club and I told her she cannot carry, I would be sued."
    Gregg-Bolognese said some clubs have approached her about hiring security guards. Some fathers have threatened to take a gun away from anyone who arrives at a game with one, an idea she tries to squelch. Referees have asked if they should carry guns.
    She is trying to come up with a policy to deal with the situation, but it is not easy, she said.
    Tom Dougherty, the president of the Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer Association, said he has been consulting with lawyers, but he believes his hands are tied.
    "We could put a rule in our books, but we can't enforce it," he said. "We're really kind of powerless."
    Gregg-Bolognese suggests clubs check with their school districts and municipalities to see if there are fields where guns can be banned. Guns are generally not allowed on school district property, for instance.
    She also tells them to abandon a game if they don't feel safe.
    "We don't want kids at risk. Sometimes canceling the game is the only option," she said.
    Many people were surprised to find that anybody who is allowed to own a gun -- which is anyone who has passed a criminal background check and is mentally stable -- can openly carry a firearm pretty much anywhere. Permits are required only for concealed weapons.
    That includes grocery stores, streets and even the public areas of airports.
    "The airport is a public facility like a park or any other public place," said Timothy Edwards, the executive director of Harrisburg International Airport. "You're not screened until you get to the security checkpoint."
    Guns are prohibited in courtrooms, prisons and schools.
    State regulations have traditionally prohibited guns in state parks, but the Legislature recently voted to overturn that rule. The change is awaiting Gov. Ed Rendell's signature.
    Several municipal parks prohibit guns, among them those in Derry Twp., Lower Allen Twp. and Upper Allen Twp.
    Derry Twp. administrative assistant Lisa Watford said the law has been on the books for at least 24 years, and she doesn't think guns have any place in parks.
    According to Deborah Bitting, a spokeswoman for the Pennsylvania League of Cities and Municipalities, the constitutional right to bear arms would pre-empt any local gun control laws.
    Greg Rotz of Pennsylvania Open Carry said there is even some question about whether guns can be prohibited in schools. The law banning them also says guns may be used "in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or if possessed for other lawful purpose."
    Rotz said the more people openly carry guns, the safer society will be. He hopes the ruling in Lebanon County will encourage more people to carry guns.
    When asked what parents should do if they want gun-free soccer games, he answered, "They don't have that right."
    Gregg-Bolognese said many of the parents in the central Pennsylvania clubs will not feel safer if someone is carrying a gun at the games.
    "There are so many parents who will freak out at this it's not funny," she said.
    Staff writer Matt Kemeny contributed to this report.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    This from another source:

"Several neighbors said they heard or saw the couple's children run from the house screaming, "Daddy shot Mommy!" shortly before the 911 Center was called at 6:20 p.m.
    snip

Well, now we know why the press isn't printing who shot who. It doesn't fit their political agenda to let the world know she wasn't the one who did the shooting, it was a cop.

Instead, they are going to **** on her body to advance their political agenda with lies by ommission.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Well, now we know why the press isn't printing who shot who. It doesn't fit their political agenda to let the world know she wasn't the one who did the shooting, it was a cop.

Instead, they are going to **** on her body to advance their political agenda with lies by ommission.

I kind of got that vibe, too.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    yeah, you really have to read that first paragraph slowly to see that she was the one murdered...

A soccer mom who gained national attention when she openly carried a loaded gun to her 5-year-old daughter's game was shot dead Wednesday along with her husband in what appeared to be a murder-suicide, police said.

the "along with her husband" is kind of journalism trickery here

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Sounds like she needed the gun, no? Women who might be hurt by their husbands sound like good candidates for gun ownership. Of course, if her husband is a cop then no one expects a cop to do something like this.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    As has been said, you have to read very closely to figure out that she was the murdered and he was the murderer who committed suicide.

Tell me again why police officers should be the only ones with guns.

Note that this is not in any way a slam on LEOs, but rather on those who think that a badge instantly makes you trustworthy because of who pays your salary.

Prayers to the kids and to everyone,

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom