Gun Store Manners, what causes you to lose sales.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    In a gun shop there are many different types of people. Men, women, children of all races and color come together to enjoy shooting and guns. Its a beautiful thing. Here is where most people behind the counter screw up. As I work in a gun shop, I notice a few things and this is my take on what I see. Do not take what I say as gospel, just as my perspective.

The first point I am going to cover is speaking to women, this is something I am sure many INGO members have never done (just kidding ya'll). This one also applies more to what I have noticed people saying about their problems with dealers, many women have expressed frustration about not being treated well in gun shops. When a man and a woman walk into a gun store and speak with me, I talk to both of them. Sounds simple right? The number one complaint I receive from women about other dealers is that they walked in with their husband intent on buying a gun, and the clerk engaged her husband in conversation and completely ignored her. I sold a gun to a young lady who said that I got her business over someone else who had what I had a few bucks cheaper because I saw her looking, walked right over, introduced myself and began talking to her. She said the other gun vendor completely ignored her until she started asking questions. Why is that? I do not understand how you can be a salesman and completely ignore half your audience. Alas, they lost business, I gained business. Remember, when a man and a woman come into your store, either one of them could have the money, don't do that "little lady" treatment.

Second topic, selling guns to parents for their children. It is hard to do that without the child in the store. I have a number of parents who bring their kids in and buy them a gun that fits them. This is the right thing to do. I also have a few parents who come in, buy a rifle for their son, and their son has never even seen, let alone held the rifle. This is not the optimal situation. Just like in adults, children who are going to be shooting a weapon need to have one that fits them. When you decide your son or daughter is old enough, take them with you to your LGS and let them pick out a rifle that fits them. This is your time to shine, just like I covered in the thread about women with their husbands buying guns, its not about what gun you guys want, its about what fits your child. Obviously some parental guidence is needed in most situations, but that is a given.

Third and final topic, more of a pet peeve really. When a clerk is working with another customer and you need a holster or cleaning stuff, do not walk in and straight to the counter to the salesman who is working with a customer, and interrupt to ask for it. It is perfectly ok, to look for the materials yourself without assistance. It is not ok to interrupt another customer who wants the clerks undivided attention. That being said, of course we are all more than willing to help you get what you need, when its your turn. Be patient and I will do all the work for you, if you are in a hurry, help yourself, I will get there when I can to offer what help I can. You would not like being interrupted buying a gun, don't do it to someone else. I have done that before, and caught myself, so I am one of the people who is guilty of this one.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Good input.
    On your last part...people are lacking in respect these days. Not everyone of course but just watch how folks in general drive and you will see what I mean.

IamLegend

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    All the way Southern Indiana
    Also about the last part. I've waited patiently many, many times while a salesman jaw jacked about everything under the sun except selling the person something while I was obviously waiting around. Very few people I've noticed nowadays have any clue how to do their job effectively and correctly from behind a counter or any salesman type position. I always blame it on management and I tell them so almost always. Lotta people think I'm just being rude and are totaly clueless how rude it is for them not to do their job properly.
    Hate to be so negative in your threads but this stuff has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile now.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I was at the gunshop there in Michigan City looking for some stuff and the owner was on the phone talking to someone. It was obvioiusly a business call so I understood that he could not wait on me at that moment. However, he did not even acknowledge my existence. No nod of the head, no smile, no wave saying "I'll be with you when I can", no anything. I simply did not exist.

So, his ability to make money from me also ceased to exist. I waited five minutes to be treated with a minimal acknowledgement and then left to do business somewhere else.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    Also about the last part. I've waited patiently many, many times while a salesman jaw jacked about everything under the sun except selling the person something while I was obviously waiting around. Very few people I've noticed nowadays have any clue how to do their job effectively and correctly from behind a counter or any salesman type position. I always blame it on management and I tell them so almost always. Lotta people think I'm just being rude and are totaly clueless how rude it is for them not to do their job properly.
    Hate to be so negative in your threads but this stuff has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile now.

:+1:

Keep on subject at hand, not about last weeks hunting trip.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

+2. There are too many passionate gun owners working in shops and not enough professional retailers. I agree that one should not interrupt a salesperson that is with a customer, but that sales person, if no one else notices should acknowledge the customer and say something to them. Like Jack says above.

I have walked out on a lot of businesses because of them not acknowledging me. I don't complain to the store or the management, I just leave and never come back. I know this is not fair to the ownership so I have been trying lately to speak to the ownership and give them a chance to make a correction.

inccwchris

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    Southside of Indiana
    I feel like I am constantly apologizing to people for being on the phone at work. That thing is the bane of my existence but I understand its importance. I hate that it takes me away from my customers though.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    I feel like I am constantly apologizing to people for being on the phone at work. That thing is the bane of my existence but I understand its importance. I hate that it takes me away from my customers though.

Years ago, I was talking to a salesman at a (fill in the blank) parts shop. The phone rang, and he answered the call. Proceeded to talk to the phone customer, and ignore me. I knocked on the counter, and said "I spent gas and time to be here. Put that caller on hold, or I'm leaving." Got what I needed, thanked him for his time, and left. ;)

The few times that I needed to call someone at a LGS, it goes like this; " Is John Doe available?"

"No, he's with a customer."

"No problem, have him call me at this number when he's free."

If you're putting you're phone customers, in front of the customers IN your store, you're doing it wrong.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    If I have a quick question the other guy should be considerate and let me ask it. If I'm at the grocery with a full cart I let the guy buying milk go first...

My job has about 700 interruptions a day, life goes on.

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    I have had this happen a couple of times,I walk into one of the local farm stores that carry a very nice variety of firearms and ammo.Ask the clerk behind the counter to see a particular gun,he says "oh you don't want one of those, check this one out",and hands me a different gun.
    At that point any sale he might have made to me was over.
    If I ask to see a certain gun ,that is the one I want to see,not the one that you have a lot in stock or the one that your boss tells you to push.Show me the one I want to see and after that politely make suggestions on another model.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Years ago, I was talking to a salesman at a (fill in the blank) parts shop. The phone rang, and he answered the call. Proceeded to talk to the phone customer, and ignore me. I knocked on the counter, and said "I spent gas and time to be here. Put that caller on hold, or I'm leaving." Got what I needed, thanked him for his time, and left. ;)

The few times that I needed to call someone at a LGS, it goes like this; " Is John Doe available?"

"No, he's with a customer."

"No problem, have him call me at this number when he's free."

If you're putting you're phone customers, in front of the customers IN your store, you're doing it wrong.

I get that constantly at the parts stores I use in the HVAC trade. The sales staff will do the phone thing first while I and everyone else is on "Hold" standing there burning up valuable time. It is a way of life in business these days.

If I am talking to the staff at any LGS just pushing wind I will stop and step aside for a real customer. It is polite and proper to do so as I am just taking up space at that time. If I am in the middle of a purchase I will get done and step aside. I do not get that treatment from others very often these days.
    So many self centered folks on both sides of the counter.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

Generally true, but all generalizations break down. You have to know your customers, both the one on the phone and the one standing in front of you. Last time I was involved in this situation I was the one on the phone and received undivided attention resulting in a 4 hour drive for me and a $2200 sale for the shop. My guess is that half of the people in the store at the time were either kicking tires or pushing wind.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    How about the other side of the coin? What do you think of a customer who is being helped by a sales clerk and the customer answers his cell phone and begins a protracted conversation. Is the sales clerk obligated to stay with that customer or move on to other customers or duties?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-

Third and final topic, more of a pet peeve really. When a clerk is working with another customer and you need a holster or cleaning stuff, do not walk in and straight to the counter to the salesman who is working with a customer, and interrupt to ask for it. It is perfectly ok, to look for the materials yourself without assistance. It is not ok to interrupt another customer who wants the clerks undivided attention. That being said, of course we are all more than willing to help you get what you need, when its your turn. Be patient and I will do all the work for you, if you are in a hurry, help yourself, I will get there when I can to offer what help I can. You would not like being interrupted buying a gun, don't do it to someone else. I have done that before, and caught myself, so I am one of the people who is guilty of this one.

Good points.
    On the last point, it's not totally black and white.

In the case where the clerk is doing something that will take a LONG time, or they're CLEARLY not talking about business, it's not unreasonable to to ask for example:
    "Sorry to interrupt, but could you point me in the direction of the...."

This takes all of a few seconds.

Case in point.
    I had a plumbing crisis, and went into the Lowes store on 26 in Lafayette some time back.

As I looked around for thing I needed, there was ONE clerk.

He was talking to a guy I at first assumed was a customer.

I figured I'd wait til he was done and went ahead and looked for what I needed.

As time went on, due to the proximity of things, I couldn't help but overhear that the clerk was just socializing with this guy.

Yet he continued to yack it up with the small talk knowing I was there.

After at least 15 minutes of this, I finally walked up to them and politely asked the clerk.
    "I 'm sorry to interrupt your conversation, but could you point me in the direction of the...."

After which he got mouthy and told me "I'LL HELP YOU WHEN I'M THROUGH HELPING THIS CUSTOMER..."

I replied "You've just been standing here socializing for the last 15 minutes.... You're not helping this guy with anything."

The man he was talking to looked at me and sincerely said:
    "I'm sorry, I should be going..." (as he knew I was right)

I told the clerk, "Forget it, I'll just go to Home Depot".

Which I did and got reasonable service as the clerks there didn't stand around ratchet jawing and not helping customers.

My point?

Your last point isn't always a hard and fast rule.

Some clerks don't know how to be clerks.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I can't stand it when clerks or whomever is behind the counter, talks in a condescending manner to me when they have absolutely no idea who I am, what I know and what I'm there for. They act as if I'm being blessed that I'm even getting to hear of their superior, vast knowledge of anything shooting related. I like to let people who like to talk, talk all they want, because then, I can see how full of shiz they really are! Often times, the person attitude behind the counter sets the tone on if I'm going to make a purchase or not.

I'm not high maintainance, I don't need babysitting or sometimes even an ackowledgement that I've walked in, (as I'm usually reserved when I'm in a LGS) but I always appreciate the, "if there's anything you have questions with, let me know" reply. Simple. Effective. Professional.

I appreciate my LGS's and as a personal rule of mine (as I was a small business owner myself for many years) I always buy *something* when I visit, even if it's small- just to give them the needed business. That is, unless they are azzhats, then I don't say anything, quietly walk out the door and never go back. There are too many good LGS that are more than willing to treat you well, for me to mess with the one's that don't...

My obligatory, completely worthless and unsolicted :twocents:.

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011
    I've been on both sides of the counter... oh, the stories one could tell. :D
    I'll bet!

That's why I'm always on my best, reserved behaviour when I'm in a LGS- because it's likely I'll learn something from someone if I listen first, speak second. Plus, I don't want to be "One of Those Guys". :)

Top Bottom