• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sixtysix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    NWI
    What's the best way to store guns that you are not going to use for a while?has anyone used products like Frog lube,Kroil or Dunk-Kit?Should you just wipe the Barrel inside and out with oil?

tackdriver47371

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Jay County
    I've always just used gun lube and kept in a controlled temp/humidity.

My father in law found an old WWI rifle(unsure of what it was exactly) , complete with bayonet in the attic, perfectly preserved it was oiled and wrapped in canvas. They had a hard time cleaning some of the residue off of it but there was no rust or pitting. It was a cool find. We found it rewiring the house after they had lived there 15+ years.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I clean the gun real well first then apply a good oil I like Ballistol or CLP. Then put the gun in a gunsock without touching any of the metal. Put it in the safe and check them every 6 months minimum. My safe has a dehydrator in it. When I started doing this I checked them monthly and found out I could go longer. I could probably go 2-3 years and be ok but I still make a check every 6 months clean and relube again.
    Alot of long term storage depends on where the gun is stored and what kind of metal the gun is i.e. Stainless vs Blued so keep that in mind as well.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    My son and I collect firearms. We always clean and oil every gun before putting in the safe's. We use CLP (Break-free with Teflon), and do put a lot in the bore, chamber and all metal parts. About 5 ~ 6 months ago we discussed the fact we hadn't cleaned some of the guns for almost 2 years. So we set a date and cleaned and re-oiled all of them - (spent the day). None had any sign of rust or corrosion. We did get some carbon out of the bores on some of the older rifles. I know we cleaned them thoroughly before storing, so the only explanation is that the CLP soaked in during storage, loosing up some of the old carbon. Most of these were WW2 weapons. My 4 safes are in my bedroom in an air conditioned /heated area. His safes are in the same situation. You do want to remove the lube from the chamber area of High power rifles prior to shooting - the cartridge should expand and take some pressure off the bolt - if the chamber is full of lube you may put excess pressure on the bolt.

00Buck

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Near Martinsville
    Another vote for break free CLP, after application it seems to kinda dry on the surface leaving a film. I have not had a problem with any, and some have been stored for over 5 years.

JokerGirl

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    NW Indy
    I just make sure to clean it well, spray the moving parts and inside well, spray and wipe the outside down, then put it away without letting my hands get on the metal. No salt on the metal means a much lower potential for rust. Never had a problem.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    What's the best way to store guns that you are not going to use for a while?has anyone used products like Frog lube,Kroil or Dunk-Kit?Should you just wipe the Barrel inside and out with oil?

I give all mine a good cleaning, then I use Hoppes gunoil and run a bit of oil down the barrel on a rag, and over the outside of the gun. I store all my guns in gun socks in my gun cabinet. My Ruger MK l has been in the family since 1981...has ZERO rust, and gets stored exactly this way.

I tend to clean all my guns regularly...even when I don't shoot them. And yes, i use a humidity reducing device in my gun cabinet.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I've always just used gun lube and kept in a controlled temp/humidity.

My father in law found an old WWI rifle(unsure of what it was exactly) , complete with bayonet in the attic, perfectly preserved it was oiled and wrapped in canvas. They had a hard time cleaning some of the residue off of it but there was no rust or pitting. It was a cool find. We found it rewiring the house after they had lived there 15+ years.

The exact opposite of what my brother did. He bought a nice Franchi O/U a few years back. I called him about going bird hunting and he said he couldn't. Needed work on his gun.

I asked him what broke. He said nothing. He had his gun in the basement and I cut him off. He lives in an old farm house, stone foundation, dirt floor. I knew what happened.

The cost to repair the gun is more than the gun cost new.

Humidity is the big enemy. Everything else is secondary.

saberstar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 19, 2012
    Bloomington, IN
    I use 1 of those lambskin pads with a good synthetic grease on it to wipe down the outside. Inside parts get gun oil. Guns stored in a humidity controled environment.

Top Bottom