• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Ever since the 4 year old could scoot around the house, things would get 'rearranged'. Usually items off the table would get stuffed into cubbies or low cabinets that were within reach.
    It was like attempts to help cleanup without actually putting things where they go.
    I am not worried about the gun being a hazard to the youngster (no loaded gun in this house is a naked gun).
    The pistol is ALWAYS buried up to the handle in the IWB holster and the 4 year old cannot remove it. (not as strong as my Ruger in my Fobus, which can be a real bear at times for an adult to even get out).
    Only time they get out is to clean or shoot.
    I also have a trigger lock, but that is not a good idea for a home defense gun to have a trigger lock.
    The real answer here is for using teachable moments like these to be used to further proper firearm awareness and use with everyone in family.
    Guns are NOT bad. If I would have overreacted or flipped my lid at someone touching a gun, that would send the wrong message.
    I don't want my kids thinking guns are evil no more than a pair of scissors are evil (just boundaries on how/when interaction is proper).
    Or i could just move to Illinois where they know the evils of firearms and your first line of defense is to vomit on your attacker.:puke:
    You would be VERY VERY SURPRISED what your child can do when you aren't watching. Don't rely on the fact that the counter is too high for her to reach, or that she can't get it out of the holster. IMHO those are only giving you a false sense of security. The answer that "Mr. Green did it" clues me in that she knew the gun had been moved, and that she certainly didn't want to catch the blame for it (whether or not she actually did it). I'm not a child psychologist so I can't really say, but that answer just sends up a red flag for me. I would be very cautious in how you keep your firearms, its best if they're kept in a place that the child doesn't even know about.

BTW, the rape incident with a door to door magazine salesmen was a false accusation. The girl later came forward and admitted that it was consensual and that she made the story up later because she felt guilty/bad about the act.

RJF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    man that really stinks sad to say but its going to get worse before it gets better

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Your wife probably moved it and forgot about it. My girlfriend does that stuff to me a lot, moves something and has no idea where it went, where she saw it, then I find it, "oh yeah, i moved that there last week while i was cleaning up"

Mine always adds "...so I would know where it was (or so I wouldn't lose it)" :dunno:

Gun wasn't so hidden at-the-time.
    It was out of its hidden place and left sitting next to microwave (near backdoor so my wife could have easy access to it).

Both my wife and I both checked there yesterday and didn't see it.
    No idea how it got there (4 year old cannot get on counter, let alone the cabinets above them).

Ever since the 4 year old could scoot around the house, things would get 'rearranged'. Usually items off the table would get stuffed into cubbies or low cabinets that were within reach.
    It was like attempts to help cleanup without actually putting things where they go.
    I am not worried about the gun being a hazard to the youngster (no loaded gun in this house is a naked gun). The pistol is ALWAYS buried up to the handle in the IWB holster and the 4 year old cannot remove it. (not as strong as my Ruger in my Fobus, which can be a real bear at times for an adult to even get out).

Based on your last two posts above, it seems you might not know what your 4 year old really is capable of. Now you add that the revolver is not a danger because it's in a snug holster. :n00b: :dunno:

PLEASE don't leave this gun where your kid can get to it again! We wouldn't want another tragedy on our hands!

I also have a trigger lock, but that is not a good idea for a home defense gun to have a trigger lock.

They may not be good on a HD gun but they are the only way to absolutely ensure (outside of a safe) that no unauthorized people can shoot your gun. If you can't keep it secure any other way...use the trigger lock.

The real answer here is for using teachable moments like these to be used to further proper firearm awareness and use with everyone in family.

Guns are NOT bad. If I would have overreacted or flipped my lid at someone touching a gun, that would send the wrong message.

Unfortunately you can't reason with a 4 year old. They don't have the cognitive ability.

The example I like to use is a young child walking onto a busy road. You don't have the luxury of trying to reason & explain to them why stepping in front of a car is bad while they've got their foot on the road & a car is bearing down. They have to be taught to "JUST LISTEN TO US" when we tell you to do (or not do) something through fear of punishment if our instructions aren't followed. It may save their life one day. As they get older you can start to use reason & logic to show them the proper actions to take under different scenarios.

I don't want my kids thinking guns are evil no more than a pair of scissors are evil

While they might not be "evil" they are A LOT MORE dangerous. While you might be able to 'put your eye out' with scissors you can easily be killed or kill others through misuse of a gun. People have to let their kids know that touching that gun without permission won't be tolerated through fear of punishment (I think its what use to be called 'respect for your elders'). It may save their life one day.

Top Bottom