• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dss21

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    I have been the last several years. The little armory is always full of guns and related items , but its still little. I guess like any show its luck of the draw on wether you find what your looking for.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Small show, most of the dealers there are not FFls, they do sell but mostly are fishing to buy guns the public carries in on the cheap!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Very small show. You can see everything in about an hour. I only live a couple miles from the armory, so I usually donate my $5 to look around. There are a couple dealers there with normal retail pricing on new guns. Nothing special but if you are looking for something it can save some driving. Like somebody else said mostly just small guys.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Like Vert said, nothing special, but worth the 5 bucks to go in and look around. There are things to be found from time to time, and there are several vendors that sell a lot of parts for a variety of guns.

Show is Sat and Sunday, and if you're around, woud recommond stopping by. I'm planning to go Saturday.

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    There really isnt that much unless you have a bit of money to spend. There were less tables this year having been replaced by people selling knick kancks and Indian jewelry. There were a few nice guns for good prices but there wasnt as much in the way of ammo and what they had was overpriced.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Chris, you are right. I was there for an hour or so yesterday, and seems like it wasn't as good as in years past. There were of course many of the regular vendors there, but I was surprised to see that amount of space that was occupied by knives, knick knacks, and airbrushed t-shirts this time around.

I also noticed that many of the vendors haven't brought their prices back down to reality now that the general Obama craze is more under control.

I saw a couple of nice SKS's that were listed $350+. I bought one as nice or nicer there 2 years ago for $160. Mosin Nagants for $175? I thought maybe for a minute they were some of the more collectable models, but they were the typical run of the mill 91/30's and M44's. $850 Garands that looked like someone had removed the park with a wire wheel (maybe to give it a battle field pick-up look? :dunno:), but with brand new replacement furniture on them.

I still like to go to look around, but think this latest show lacked a bit from shows of the past.

One thing that did crack me up was the abundant technique of "negotiating" between sellers and buyers. Many times I'd just stand by and listen. It was worse when folks were trying to sell to they dealers at the booth, but the conversations always went about like this (Picture yourself in a crowded gymnasium, with barely enough room to walk between tables):

Buyer: He, watcha got there, is that a blah blah blah?

Seller: Yeah, its a blah blah blah...its in real good shape, all original, and I've probably only fired a box or two of shells through it, if that. Shoots real good.

Buyer: Mind if I take a look at it?

Seller: Sure.

Buyer: [examining, with brow scrunched] hmm...looks pretty nice, [turns the gun over a few times, works the action] whatcha looking to get out of it?

Seller: Well I've got about blank blank in it, so I'd need to get probably at least this much for it.

Buyer: [deeper, somber voice] I can't put that much into a gun like that...its nice, but not that nice. You see that whatchamacallitt on the side? That tells me that is a pretty common blah blah blah, and I can get those all day long for "sellers price minus $100."

Seller: [more agitated tone] I can't take that for it, I have to get at least this much for it. Afterall, my brothers wife's cousin's best friend told me these are selling for "my price plus $100" at most of the shows he's going do. Plus, it has the original clip, and I've got this extra clip for it that I'll throw in too.

Buyer: [head shaking side to side] That gun isn't worth nearly that much. Look at the wear on the bluing and I think that the widget on the side isn't original. You say you do or don't have the original box for it?

Seller: [now insulted] I checked out gun broker before heading up here, and they were going for about what I want to get out of this one, so I guess I'll just put it up for sale there.

Two guys behind the buyer: [hard to understand mumbling] yak yak yak gun broker yak yak piece of junk gun yak yak guy doesn't know what he's talking about yak yak...

Two guys behind the seller: [whispering and leaning back with their forehead wrinkled and shoulders shrugging] I think its a pretty nice gun, I seen guys getting at least that or better out of them at that big show up in Indy last month.

Buyer: Well, sorry, I just can't put that much into your gun. Thanks.

Seller: Alright, I think you're missing out on a good deal.

Buyer and seller part ways...

Buyer to the two guys behind him: Man, what was that guy thinkning, I can't believe he wanted that much for that gun. I mean, yeah, it was a numbers matching one of a kind limited eddition collectors model in perfect condition, but you guys wouldn't have put that money into it, would you?

Seller to the two guys behind him: Man, what's with that guy? I've done my homework on this gun, it has to be worth at least this, right?

:ingo:

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Dog gone it, I did not go, and now realize I could have picked up a couple of air brushed T-shirts, with some, I am sure, really nice costume jewelry.

Sure am glad you guys informed honestly about what was there.

very sincerely, thank you.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I went yesterday and donated my 5 bucks, didn't buy a thing, but still enjoyed the "quick" run through the packed isles. There were at least 2 guys there in wheelchairs, I sincerely felt so sorry for them trying to negotiate those narrow walkways.

One dufuss was carrying a long gun under each arm and nearly col-cocked one poor guy in a chair as he turned around to get a better look at something he saw on a table. After he walked by me, I politely but firmly tapped the butt of one of one of his guns, and when he looked at me, I said "DUDE, be careful you nearly hit that guy in the chair" he never said a word, just turned around went back lookin'at whatever it was that caught his eye.

People....:dunno: I just don't get?

Anyway, since I was soooooo close, I went on over to Acme's and picked up some ammo for a very fair price.

Everyone has pretty much NAILED the description.
    Good little show, but not that much there.

XFCTR

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Columbus
    I've been the past couple years but I don't make a special trip. It's just something to do when ur not doing anything. Wish it was better becuase I'm so close to it.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I think it is like most things and probably goes in cycles. They've had some very good shows in the past, with a lot of good reasonably priced stuff. The folks that run the show are very nice people, and I think they work hard to put on a good show.

I keep going each time if for no other reason to have a good time looking at stuff, watching people, and finding an occaisional bargain or two.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I did not get a chance to go this weekend. Doesn't sound like I missed much. I have all the airbrushed T-shirts that I need already. (Which is currently zero!) I wanted to take my brother-in-laws, but they did not want to go. So I spent the afternoon filling in the holes that the kids dog dug under the porch, and picking up dog poo in the back yard. Oh, did I mention that I have a dog that I am willing to trade.

chrissmallwood

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2008
    Seymour, IN
    I saw a couple of nice SKS's that were listed $350+. I bought one as nice or nicer there 2 years ago for $160. Mosin Nagants for $175? I thought maybe for a minute they were some of the more collectable models, but they were the typical run of the mill 91/30's and M44's. $850 Garands that looked like someone had removed the park with a wire wheel (maybe to give it a battle field pick-up look? :dunno:), but with brand new replacement furniture on them.

I know what you mean. Whenever I saw the Mosins all I could think about was having one shipped to my door from AIMSurplus or J&G Sales for a little under 100. The same with getting a Garand from the CMP for half of what they were going for there. Hopefully next year when it warms up more people will be willing to get out and set up tables and well see a better selection and some lower prices.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    I think there was also a show in Evansville this past weekend (Central Indiana Gunshow) so that may have taken some fo the vendors away from Seymour.

That being said, I haven't been to the Seymour show for a couple of years and I only live 10 miles away. It seems like you always see the same vendors with the same over priced guns on their tables. The only time I ever had any luck there was buying and selling from or to individuals.

I know Acme Sports always does a brisk business Saturday when the show is in town.

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I always go to check out the latest camo styles among the patrons....I can't believe no one is selling it along with the T shirts....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom