• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Lake County, Town of Munster
    Ok, I was recently at a gun show in Lake County (at the fair grounds). Well, I walk in and I see a sign about no one being allowed to carry their gun (at least loaded) and about selling guns to people at age 18 and 21. I get stamped and pay the fee (I am with my dad) and we look around.

At this point, I am looking for the Sigs! So I see the P229 that I really like, and held it and looked at it with my dad. An older fella talked to me for a little bit and said how it is standard sidearm for SEALS (I think that is the P226 tho) and other stuff. The dealer their didn't say anything.

So I go to one booth that had glocks, and i was looking (touching) one. The man selling said "Are you 21"? I said "No, I'm 18". He says, "well you are not allowed to handle the handguns here if you aren't 21. Only long guns since your 18. LCPD is gonna come arrest you if they see you, take you to jail.." blah blah blah.

So as I walk around I see some vendors that do have a notecard that says you can only handle long guns at 18 and older, handguns 21 and older.

Is this Local law, the LCFG law, State, Fed? I searched and couldn't find anything consistent.

Just seems weird, since I can BUY a handgun at 18 (as long as they aren't an FFL). I heard that 75% of the sellers at gun shows have their FFL. But still, doesn't that mean, if I have the money and the permit, that I could have bought a handgun their from a non-FFL as long as they lived in the same state? Just doesn't make much sense. I guess a lot of gun laws don't make much sense.... There are so many that I am still learning them!! (even after 2 (going on 3rd) school reports)

Anyways, I wouldn't doubt this was asked before but I really couldn't find much.

Thanks in advance for the replies! :D

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    First, :welcome: to :ingo:!

FFLs are not allowed to sell you a handgun prior to age 21. You may buy private party at 18 or may be gifted a firearm by a parent even earlier.

As for not being allowed to even handle them before age 21... That's their policy, I'd gather. It's not law, I don't think.

Proof to the contrary would be appreciated, if it exists.

Blessings,
    Bill

cigarman454

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    106   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    East Central, IN

I would have to agree wit Bill of Rights. My son turned 18 last month and wanted his lifetime LTCH for his birthday we applied and 2 1/2 weeks later he had his permit. So as I understand he can carry but cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL license holder or purchase ammo. Today is opening day of bow season and I'm at work while he took the day out of school and is probably on his way to the woods now with my Glock 27 in case he sees any coyotes past bow range.
    :draw:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Hello, link, sometimes gun dealers call their store policy "the law" to give it more weight. Your experience could be translated as "Go away kid, ya bother me." (Google up some old Bugs Bunny cartoons or WC Fields for that last joke).:D

He was running you off so he could spend time on potential sales. It's the gun culture,; get used to it.:D

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Hello, link, sometimes gun dealers call their store policy "the law" to give it more weight. Your experience could be translated as "Go away kid, ya bother me." (Google up some old Bugs Bunny cartoons or WC Fields for that last joke).:D

He was running you off so he could spend time on potential sales. It's the gun culture,; get used to it.:D

Ya, i figured he was exaggerating. I hate a**holes like that (and it is usually the OLD guys, no offense). He is lucky I didn't start talking back and proving him wrong, maybe next time I will, but I don't like getting in arguments. I just hate when they lie like that. Because he f***ing ruined it for me, because since he said it was the law, I didn't touch any other hand guns and left early :'(

when we entered, two LCPD officers were right there and didn't say anything to me. There was no big sign either.

Like I said, SOME of the booths had these sticky notes. The one where the SIG dealer was (younger guys of course), I didn't see any sticky notes, and they saw me handling the guns (properly) and didn't say anything to me.

So I just want to make sure, if I ever go to another gun show in Indiana. It is just a policy that the specific dealers enact right? Just like any store policy, like value city not allowing guns on their property? (lol) It isn't an actual law for FFL holders or anything right?

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    lin, welcome to the gun culture. Don't let the old farts scare you off.:D

He is lucky I didn't start talking back and proving him wrong, maybe next time I will, but I don't like getting in arguments.

Don't worry. You got nothing to prove. Even if you "won" the argument, what has changed. He's still a jerk.

Just smile and move on. You'll spend your money elsewhere. Remember you have the trump card--your money.

Like I said, SOME of the booths had these sticky notes

Look at it from the dealers' perspective: since they as FFLs cannot sell to those under 21, why bother talking to those 18, 19 or 20? They want to maximize their income within the limited time of the show. They put signs on the tables to cut down on the questions from people who they cannot sell to. "Go away, kid. Ya bother me."

Now when I sold guns (at Galyan's) I would always talk to youngsters as I knew they would bring their dads back the next weekend.

It's like the guys in the Carharts who would mosey up to the gun section at Galyan's. Unlike my co-salesmen, I ALWAYS ran to talk to the guys who looked like they used their hands for a living, especially on Friday nights. Just give them extra attention and you could usually talk them into something. I knew they had cold hard cash money to spend.

You do have your LTCH, right? Or, at least have the application in?

Have you considered getting a class in before you get a pistol? You know, let your software pick your hardware. We are blessed in Indiana to have many training opportunities available.

You may see reference to this statute at gun shows and shops as well:

BATF YOUTH HANDGUN SAFETY ACT NOTICE

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    You do have your LTCH, right? Or, at least have the application in?

No, not yet. I am really trying to get a job (put a bunch of applications in). Obviously I need some money to flow in. But here is my "game plan" once I get some money and a job:

1: Get a LTCH
    2: Get a pistol (need money, parental approval which is at about 50%...)
    3: Shoot it, take an NRA Basic class (one right here in Hammond at Deb's range).
    4: Practice
    5: Shoot some more
    6: Practice again
    7: Shoot again
    8: take some tactical or self defense class using a gun, or close range, etc.

And somewhere in their around the "getting a pistol" is a nice case for the house, one for mobile, holster, some ammo.

I have my sights set on a Sig Sauer P229 SCT (.40 cal), but DANG is it $$$.

And the unemployment rate for young adults is quite high. I am REALLY REALLY good with computers, so I am hoping a best buy, staples, radio shack maybe job.

Thanks for the input! :D

My dad has owned a gun before and I am pretty responsible (never got arrested, no tickets, don't do illegal activities, etc,etc) so i hope that helps my parent approval rating.

When I get the money, I will first try convincing them into me actually buying a gun, then I'll try and convince for the carry part.

I guess I will see what happens!

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, not yet. I am really trying to get a job (put a bunch of applications in). Obviously I need some money to flow in.

Yes, I'm familiar with cash flow.;):D

Good luck on finding a gig. Remember, a man has to work.

Don't overlook a used revolver.

Knowledge is to hardware as 3 is to 1.

linkinpark9812

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Yes, I'm familiar with cash flow.;):D

Good luck on finding a gig. Remember, a man has to work.

Don't overlook a used revolver.

Knowledge is to hardware as 3 is to 1.

Yes, yes, but i do like NEW stuff. I'll work for that SIG, thats for sure!

My estimates, assuming i get payed minimum wage and work 3-4 days a week, pitching in for a car payment and other expenses, most of those steps can be accomplished between 4-7 months, except tactical training prices)

And I like saying "I DID" when someone asks "who bought that for you?" Its a good feeling! :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Welcome to INGO.

May I suggest the following course of action.

1) Get the $$$ for the LTCH and apply for it
    2) Take the NRA Basic Handgun @ Deb's
    3) Selection your handgun

I took the course at Deb's a few years ago and it was well worth it. Small class size of 6 students. The best part is the way she structures it.

First class is 1.5 hours of classroom training and 1.5 hours of .22 handgun shooting just to get you into the feel of shooting.

2nd class is .5 hour of class/test and 2.5 hours of shooting. You will shot .22, 9mm, .40 and .45 in a variety of guns (GLOCK, S&W, revolvers, 1911, etc.) She lets you shoot which ever caliber you want but wants you to try each caliber at least once in all the guns she has. This will give you a good feel for what you "think you like on paper/looks" vs "what you like based on actual firing of the handgun".

AMMO is FREE the first 2 classes BTW.

3rd class you buy the ammo and try all whatever gun you want that she has for rent. It 3 hours of for students only. Plus if a student has a gun they can bring it as well. So you will probably end up shooting others as well.

The class is broken into 3 weeks (1 class per week) and during those 3 weeks you can go to her range and have a student discount. I don't recall what the discount was but I think it was buy the ammo and the gun rent and range time (up to 2 hours per day) is free.

There are many "do over" post here of people that say they bought "xyz" gun as their first weapon and later regretted buying it for "abc" reason.

Lastly once you start looking into holsters take a look at this place.
    Crossbreed Holsters > Home

The holsters may be ugly but are very functional! I have the IWB SuperTuck for my 1911 5" and it's WONDERFUL!

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Jediagh & linkinpark9812, just a small addition:

to your lists of rules: always have cash showing. No matter your age, when you're done eye-shopping, and are ready to start talking a buy, ALWAYS have a few $50-s in your mitts when leaning on the table. Pre-lubrication works wonders. Use the flash as a buyer's tool. If price, condition, &c. are to your liking, loosen your grip. (watch the vendors' eyes.) If you are dis-satisfied, grip the cash more tightly and indicate a shopping visit to another table. Those tables are rented to SELL stuff, not just display it. And once a tentative price is reached, it doesn't hurt to flip out your wire-bound note-book, view you other possibilities (you need not even HAVE any!) and ask for some 'gimmees' for the seller to throw in the pot for you: leather at a discount, ammo, &c. Freebies are fun. Pat

Top Bottom