• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    There have been plenty of laws in this nation's history that were considered "reasonable and prudent" at the time which made certain actions, items etc illegal (Dred Scott decision, etc). We look back at those laws and court rulings and see them for what they are---be it unconstitutional or just downright ridiculous. The law is NOT infallible. To me, there ARE the occasions where "felonious/illegal" and "wrong" are NOT synonymous. :patriot:

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    If you all disagree that carrying a gun into a school would be a "bad thing", why haven't you carried a gun into a school? Maybe I needed to word the statement better, but until it's not a felony to carry a gun into a school, it remains a "bad thing".

I misunderstood what you meant by "a bad thing" then. I agree that bad things could (and probably would) happen to me if I were to bring a gun to a school and get caught doing so. However, I don't think that carrying a gun into a school is a bad thing in and of itself.

jnicol6600

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Boy this is one thing that wasnt legal I wasnt even aware of. I almost always have a gerber pocketknife clipped to the outside of my pants and have been to many sporting events locally. Ive talked to LEO's and principals, teachers etc. while doing this and had no problems. Of course most of us in this part of the state are hillbillies anyway.
    Not being able to carry in schools makes no sense to be. Doesnt it just make a large event there an easy target?

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    I work on school property but not a school.I work in transportation on no
    students or events are on the property.I still don't know how the parking lot applies to me.:dunno:

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Where does it say that in the Code? Can you paste it? I've not been able to find it, and it's important to me, since my wife carries a knife to work (and NOT a little mini-pen knife). It's proven quite useful for cutting open boxes and stuff like that.
    From the pertinent code:
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.

As this is part of the definition of a knife, items must meet both criteria to be defined as a knife. Your intent to use a sharp instrument as a weapon does not make it a knife. In your wife's case, it sounds like it definitely would be classified as a knife. However, there is an out:
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    From the pertinent code:
    IC 35-47-5-2.5
    Possession of a knife on school property
    Sec. 2.5. (a) As used in this section, "knife" means an instrument that:
    (1) consists of a sharp edged or sharp pointed blade capable of inflicting cutting, stabbing, or tearing wounds; and
    (2) is intended to be used as a weapon.

As this is part of the definition of a knife, items must meet both criteria to be defined as a knife. Your intent to use a sharp instrument as a weapon does not make it a knife. In your wife's case, it sounds like it definitely would be classified as a knife. However, there is an out:
    (d) This section does not apply to a person who possesses a knife:
    (1) if:
    (A) the knife is provided to the person by the school corporation or possession of the knife is authorized by the school corporation; and
    (B) the person uses the knife for a purpose authorized by the school corporation; or
    (2) if the knife is secured in a motor vehicle.

The "and" and "intended" I bolded in your quote give me a totally different interpretation of that law.

Top Bottom