• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    When you pick up a gun do you clear it?

When a friend hands you gun. do you clear it?

Would you ever dry fire a gun whithout clearing it?

I know a guy who likes to point and click without checking weapons. After the click I will ask if he cleared the weapon, I always get a "yeah." I want to teach him that this is a NO NO. After repeated verbal "lessons," he still points and clicks without clearing.

I know the weapons are clear, but does he? NO.

I've thought about loading an inert dummy round in a gun, after he points and clicks and I AGAIN ask him if he's cleared the weapon, he will find a surprise. Do you think the shock will be a good lesson to him? Or is he just hopeless.

My only reason for asking is that he's a coworker, so i have to be around him, and we work with, gasp*, guns...

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    This guy is not your friend, if he was he would consider your safety as well as anyone else's in the immediate area while dry firing an uncleared firearm.

I suggest you stay away from him for a while and when he asks why, tell him it's due to his unsafe practices and re-iterate your teachings about clearing the weapon before pulling the trigger.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    This guy is not your friend,

:ugh: no, he's not my friend. He's my new boss.

BTW, he failed the test. He discharged the firearm, ejected the dummy round, and then blew off as if it were no big deal. He had no idea the dummy round was even loaded to begin with.

"It's no big deal, it's just a blank!"

Me, my crew, we're all doomed.

Just venting. I pray you don't see my facility on the news one of these days...

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    :ugh: no, he's not my friend. He's my new boss.

BTW, he failed the test. He discharged the firearm, ejected the dummy round, and then blew off as if it were no big deal. He had no idea the dummy round was even loaded to begin with.

"It's no big deal, it's just a blank!"

Me, my crew, we're all doomed.

Just venting. I pray you don't see my facility on the news one of these days...

Go over his head, soon. I'm sure that there are some kind of safety regulations, given you've stated you work with firearms. Explain what you've witnessed and get someone above to come down on him ASAP.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    When I hand someone, a gun, ANYONE, the action is open, and the barrel, is pointed away from whomever I am handing it to... A revolver, is open, and I put my two fingers in the frame, and hand it to them butt first.... one way to cure, is to put a PRIMED, round in, and let him pull the trigger, he will wet himself, if that does not cure him, nothing will...
    (until he has a serious accident).

jmb79

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Wyoming
    Next time, load a primed case (i.e., without the powder and bullet) in the pistol and let him play with it. Maybe that subsequent explosion and need for new underwear will make him change his ways.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Next time, load a primed case (i.e., without the powder and bullet) in the pistol and let him play with it. Maybe that subsequent explosion and need for new underwear will make him change his ways.

Might be surprised how much debris from the muzzle can result from just a primer.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Oops... Also wanted to add above.. This is a serious enough issue might get all the co-workers together and confront the guy. Hopefully, he will be mature enough and appreciate you all coming to him on this issue rather than going to his superior. If that doesn't work, you need to go to his superior. The problem is it won't be the idiot that gets hurt, it will be someone else ! Good luck.

EvilleDoug

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Evansville
    Your efforts are being met by idiocy. Take the advice above, jump the C.O.C. and explain why you are "scared" to be around this fool.

Obviously, the blank didn't do it's job and he laughed it off as no big deal. I'm guessing your active duty, but not sure just by your post. If you are active duty, then you are obligated to report serious danger violations. How would you sleep this evening or any other for that matter, knowing you could have told someone about his carelessness and someone gets hurt or God forbid, killed.

You must do something. His attitude that it was only a blank shows his lack of caring for you and or others.

PLEASE, tell someone above him.

Doug

Titanium Man

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    Indy---USA
    Oops... Also wanted to add above.. This is a serious enough issue might get all the co-workers together and confront the guy. Hopefully, he will be mature enough and appreciate you all coming to him on this issue rather than going to his superior. If that doesn't work, you need to go to his superior. The problem is it won't be the idiot that gets hurt, it will be someone else ! Good luck.

Yep, the group thing is the best solution. If everybody doesn't realize they are at risk, they're ignorance will come back to haunt them. Remain united, and hopefully he'll respect you all for your honesty and concern.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne

:+1: This is a very bad situation that can only lead to something bad eventually happening. Something has to be done ASAP so nobody gets hurt. Good luck.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    I'd take any 8-year old who's been through Hunter Safety and let them "train" the guy. But then again, sounds like you'd just hear, "Yeah, but what does a kid know anyway?"

Sounds like the best advice is to get the staff together and address this asap. If that doesn't work, go over his head. No one wants to read a story about this moron.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm 99.9% sure I know where you work. ;)

Go over his head, this is a serious concern and safety risks are not taken lightly here, at least not in my branch. If he isn't mature enough to handle you pointing out his safety failures then maybe he can handle them better from his superior.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    We've had no more problems with safety since the day of my original post. Not sure why, I think even though he blew off the dummy round incident, it might have scared him a little. The guy hasn't played with, let alone picked up another weapon since. I might have taught him a lesson, or someone went over his head, OR a combination of the two.... ;) not exactly sure...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    NO HORESPLAY WITH GUNS.

No live primers to make him wet himself. It could just as easily blind someone.

Never hand a gun to someone unless you have opened the action and checked the chamber.

I will not take a gun handed to me if the action is not open.

If somone working in a gun shop or similar industry can not follow THE MOST BASIC basic gun safety rules after a few stern reminders (s)he needs to be fired. The sooner the better.

Glad to hear that the problem has been resolved.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    i'll keep posted, but so far, we've gone 6 days with no idiocy. It's been refreshing. I'm not going to hold my breath, but something is better than nothing. I've been making sure to up the number of discussions on gun safety, so this could be helping as well. I think the inert round "experiment" helped though. I just think Mr. CoolGuy pretended it didn't phase him. I think it taught a lesson.

how old is this guy??? and he works with firearms on a daily basis?? someone needs more training or get fired

This guy is in his late 30's and likes to pretend he is a member of a SWAT team. He was hired for his people management experience. Not his experience in firearms management (obviously)... Our management sees our work like any other business, and they've lost sight of more important things, i.e. people and safety, all to keep eyes on the bottom line; the almighty dollar. SO we, the humble blue collars have taken up our mantle of stepping up safety in the facility, especially now that this goon has been hired.

...but like I said, it's been 6 days without any horseplay (including but not lmited to SWAT demonstrations). I take it as a positive sign. I do keep pushing for more firearms safety training though, and I will continue to do so as long as i work here (ESPECIALLY for the management)...

Thank you all for your concern and your advice. It has fallen upon well trained ears. Once again, I sallute you INGO.

:ingo: :patriot:

Last edited:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    121   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    My 10 year old knows this! The first thing you do when you pick up or receive a weapon in any way where it wasn't in your possession, is to check to make sure of its condition (there are times you want it loaded). But you have to know for yourself.

Top Bottom