• ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

To Longbarrel (et alia),

I don't know who told you that but they are dead, 100% WRONG! It costs about $1,050 (+/- $100) per year to get a rating from UL.

The motive is to put your product up for testing by an unbiased, third party. That unbiased third party (UL) which has a high reputation, through testing proves that your product will do what you claim it will do.

Anything else is just propaganda.

Regards,

Doug

Disclaimer: I haven't fact-checked your cost estimate (sounds horrendously low from my thoughts) but lets assume that is correct. That isn't the whole story.

#1 That cost is incurred on EACH model
    #2 That doesn't include the cost of the safe that is destructively tested

Consider that a custom safe manufacturer, to have a UL listing on a custom safe, would have to submit an example safe and pay the testing fee you're looking at more than double the actual cost and that assumes it passes on the first attempt.

Of course, those that churn out tons of cheap safes can amortize that cost across all the large volume of safes they make and it's rather insignificant even if it takes them 5 tries to figure out the cheapest way to make a safe that still passes the pre-defined test that may (or may not) actually protect your valuables.

There are 2 schools of thought. A manufacturer (especially a small one) that saves that cost and puts it into a beefier safe can actually come out ahead of the UL listed safe as far as security. That small margin on cost can actually provide quite a margin of actual protection...

Full Recovery

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Central
    I'm going to tag this for later, I need a larger safe but I'm not going to commit until I move. Will definitely be looking at some Johnson safes.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Disclaimer: I haven't fact-checked your cost estimate (sounds horrendously low from my thoughts) but lets assume that is correct. That isn't the whole story.

#1 That cost is incurred on EACH model
    #2 That doesn't include the cost of the safe that is destructively tested

Consider that a custom safe manufacturer, to have a UL listing on a custom safe, would have to submit an example safe and pay the testing fee you're looking at more than double the actual cost and that assumes it passes on the first attempt.

Of course, those that churn out tons of cheap safes can amortize that cost across all the large volume of safes they make and it's rather insignificant even if it takes them 5 tries to figure out the cheapest way to make a safe that still passes the pre-defined test that may (or may not) actually protect your valuables.

There are 2 schools of thought. A manufacturer (especially a small one) that saves that cost and puts it into a beefier safe can actually come out ahead of the UL listed safe as far as security. That small margin on cost can actually provide quite a margin of actual protection...

To CountryBoy19,

Regarding issue #1, this is true depending upon what you mean by "each" model. Say you start with a basic Model A that you want rated as a RSC in 2014. In 2016 you decide to upgrade the Model A to Model B by making some minor improvements. All you have to do is submit your changes in writing to UL. If they determine the changes are not design critical, the Model B may retain the RSC rating without spending any money.

Regarding issue #2, true. A safe must be provided. HOWEVER, note that the cost of the safe AND the rating all get to be written off on the companies taxes as an expense. In other words, the cost I submitted is probably far higher than the actual cost of doing business.

Regarding the schools of thought you left one out. A company builds an outstanding safe, has it rated, THEN charges MORE for the higher quality because they can point to an unbiased, trusted, 120 year old organization that has tested and endorsed their product!

Don't misunderstand, I get a brand new beginning company wanting to break into a market and keep its costs down. I get that. However, if a company wants to survive and thrive in the long run the cost of the testing is not an expense, it is an investment! It is showing the companies move toward quality, dependability and meeting known benchmarks of that quality.

Besides, someone who is truly committed to building a quality product would WANT to have someone from the outside come in and try to find weaknesses in their systems so they could improve their product, not just sit on their laurels and believe, through arrogance or hubris, that they are building a good product. Major companies do this all the time by hiring outside security consultants to test their computers for security. Auto manufacturers are rated by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety which gives companies a rating on how well cars do in test crashes. The IIHS just designed a new crash test in 2012 that manufacturers are taking into account to improve car safety. Consumer Reports goes out and does testing on their own of major industry lines. You can darn well bet that those companies that get the IIHS top safety rating will toot their own horn, as will companies that get five (5) stars from Consumer Reports.

I will concede as always that an excellent product can be made without any outside testing. My problem with this is that I am only taking the manufacturers word for the quality. The manufacturer who has a financial interest in me giving them money for what I believe is good. What I get out of a UL rating, or Consumer Reports, is that I now KNOW exactly how good it is, or even if it is good at all. For little things I don't look for a rating. For important items I want to last for years and know they are going to really do what I want them to - I go with outside testers who PROVE the quality or lack thereof of a a product.

Regards,

Doug

Bmooresbm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2015
    Columbus
    I have a family member that used to manufacture safes in northern Indiana. He has now exited the manufacturing business but still has some built to his specs and sells mostly online. Look up united merchandising on Google. I have one in my closet and it's very solidly built.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I don't have a picture handy but Johnson Safes are the way to go. Had mine for the past 13 yrs. Buy the biggest model you can afford. They will move safes for you too, at a nominal charge.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Indiana Gun Club---113th East of Olio Rd-----several safes on display---that hold anywhere from 18,to 68 guns-----even larger on your order---
    Pleasant to deal with-------shoot trap and/or skeet while you are deciding on what one to buy----------------hundreds of other nice items for sale also.

tell them that tallend,and INGO sent you

jhelm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 4, 2015
    Washington
    Does anyone know where I could purchase a gun safe door and frame for my built in gun vault. I see alot of safes for sale but not doors and frames. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    My father in law purchased a Diebold vault door from Jeff @ Johnson Safe for installation in new home. Awesome gun room. Hire a good mason to put it up.

Top Bottom