• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mephitical

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Lebanon
    I need a new safe and thought I had the one picked out. It's the Liberty safe from Gander Mountain that's in their current ad(link below). It's bigger than what I think I'll ever need but for the price it's seems like a good deal. I've heard it everywhere to buy one bigger than what you think you need, but this may be 2-3 times bigger.

Today I was in Tractor Supply and they also have safes on sale, Cannon and Winchester. The Cannon safes were about the same size and price as the Liberty at Gander Mtn, but didn't look as clean. The Winchester (link below) was smaller and $400 less than either, but still plenty big enough for what I need. It also has the pockets on the door for pistols and other things like the Liberty. I read through the ratings and the amount of locks and everything looks OK on it but the hinges are on the outside. I wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on either safe.

Current Sales - Gander Mountain

Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - 1043297 | Tractor Supply Company

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They are both good safes.If you have the money you may want to get the Liberty one, I think they are better quality, but like you said it looks like a really big safe.
    Even if you should always get bigger than what you need, this one might be too big for you.
    As for the hinges of the Winchester being outside, that's not a problem on safes, the hinges are just here to open the door, they dont keep it closed.
    I have seen videos of safes with the hinges removed from the outside but the door stays locked solid.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I say the bigger the better! That way you have plenty of room to grow and have extra room for anything else you may want to put in there other than firearms. I have a buddy who has a Liberty safe and he is very pleased with it. I say go for the big one so hopefully it can be your last safe purchase and you can spend the rest of your life trying to fill it up! :D

All of your choices are good though and will get the job done. I have heard good things about the Cannon safes, but I just don't have much personal experience with them to comment on. I have had plenty of experience with Liberty safes and have always been impressed. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Mephitical,

If you want it to really do its job and not just make you "feel good" I would go with the Liberty safe.

Liberties are UL rated and tested. I am a big supporter of outside, unbiased testing and analysis. I am betting that this is rated at the lowest UL rating of RSC, or Residential Security Container. The next higher UL rating is TL-15.

A while back I went with American Security and am very happy with that purchase. It was a higher price than this Liberty on sale.

Regards,

Doug

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I just bought a John Deere, which is a Liberty Franklin rebadged, for the money it was the best combination of looks size and value that I could find.

Terry4570

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    N.A. IN.
    Go bigger!You would be suprised how fast you fill a safe up,not just guns go in a safe.And way things are now you have to lock everything up. Also if you can get the electronic lock much faster than the dail.:twocents:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Johnson Safe

Made here in Indiana and is an INGO supporter.
    He custom makes these safes at his location. They use a much thicker gauge of steel than anything you can buy from all the other brand-name makers.

He can paint it any color you want (auto paint is used) and can delivery and install for you. Best safe you will ever buy.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    -Liberty Hands down......IMHO
    -Get the largest you can afford as it WILL fill up and not just with guns.
    -Do NOT get an electronic lock, get a manual one.

bpeele

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    i've always thought the Libertys look like real high-quality. thats the way i'm leaning so far when i buy

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I've had several gun safes. Based on what I know and what my research has told me USA made is a better bet than China. Do your homework and buy the biggest one you can get. No matter what you think you will end up filling it up.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    One of the most important things to remember is what guage of steel is being used:
    Gun Safes Information

All commercial safes that I have seen (Liberty, Cannon, etc.) all use 10 gauge & up. 12 gauge is common and the more expensive models on commercial safes use 10 guage. The smaller the gauge number the thicker the steel.

BTW the "commercial safes" made said made in the USA but that is not fully true. See the link above.

Not that Johnson Safe Johnson Safes uses 10 guage and 7 gauge steel for his safes and ALL parts are made in the USA.

7 gauge of steel is some real freaking thick steel. Yes the Johnson Safes are a HUGE up-front investment but very, very well worth it. You are buying from an Indiana company that uses only made in the USA part and are getting a much better product that anything out there commercially.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    That is true and I looked hard at them. Liberty is made in the USA and I got a safe 3 times bigger for the same money. Is the Liberty of the same quality, no. Is it as rugged? no. I can not fault one for getting a Johnson safe at all, I just needed a large one and I got the best I could afford. I am happy with mine.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    That is true and I looked hard at them. Liberty is made in the USA and I got a safe 3 times bigger for the same money. Is the Liberty of the same quality, no. Is it as rugged? no. I can not fault one for getting a Johnson safe at all, I just needed a large one and I got the best I could afford. I am happy with mine.

You have to get into the higher end Liberties before they are made here, I believe it starts with the Frankin 25 and above, all of the others are made in China if it makes a difference to you.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You have to get into the higher end Liberties before they are made here, I believe it starts with the Frankin 25 and above, all of the others are made in China if it makes a difference to you.

& even then those made here are just assembled here with parts from.....:whistle:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana

Well I have a fatboy and was told the steel was made in the USA, the framing of the steel was done in Nevada or thereabouts, the lock in made in the USA, and the fire retardant is made in the USA.

You could be right and some of the models are not made here. I was told my fatboy was by the guy I bought it from and by the factory when I called them.

Sturdy, Liberty (edit – with the exception of their Centurion 20), and Fort Knox are just a few gun safe manufacturers who pride themselves in producing 100% American-made products.

Are American Gun Safes Really the Best? Sturdy Safe Owner, Terry Pratt Helps With the Answer | Gun Safe Haven

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Jeff Johnson, INGO member approved!:ingo:

We like them so much we put them in our armouries.:D

09-17-10_1930.jpg

bw210

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Kouts, IN
    Please be advised that if you are looking for fire protection as well, the average residential fire burns for 45 minutes @1500-1600 degrees. Document safes are rated @1800 or higher. I have a Patriot safe with a 1880@2hr rated.

As far as the size, get the biggest one you can afford. After the purchase of my first safe, I said "this should do just fine, there is no way I'm going to fill this up"...

Top Bottom