• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    I am wanting to buy a new gun safe that will serve the dual purpose of storing some long guns as well as important items such as paperwork, pictures and other small items. Now, I am limited to a width of about 32 inches and can't exceed that for it to go where I am wanting. I have looked at some of the Stack-On line and they have a couple ok safes for what I am wanting but I was also looking at Liberty as well. It seems that the Liberty safes have a mixed review if you read the web and I can't find an updated website for Johnson safes so I will be counting them out. If anyone can give me some info of pros and cons of what they have used and what kind of experience they have had I would appreciate it. Even if it is a Stack-On or Liberty I would still like your opinion and if anyone has bought a smaller safe such as the 32 inch limit I am facing then I would appreciate your opinions.

thanks

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    What I have traces its genes to Stack-On, which itself draws mixed reviews. I'd look into Johnson, or do my own welding in place, make something truly impressive that can't be moved.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    If your close to northern IN try DB Safes in Plymouth IN. I bought mine form him years ago and love it. Only draw back is I out grew it so need to buy another one. Mine is 72" high 40" wide and 30" deep.

ReadnFool

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Sheridan, IN
    +1 for the Winchester from tractor supply.

Good 10 gauge steel, locking bolts on all 4 sides of the door, great price, especially if you wait for one of their 10% off coupons.

Light enough (especially if you take the door off) that a couple of people can move it into a closet or up some stairs, but heavy enough that door locked and safe loaded its not going anywhere quick.

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    The winchester has so so reviews but looks good for what I am needing. Also I am not looking to wait a long time for one to be built custom. How heavy was it without the door roughly? I have three steps it needs to go up is why I ask

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    The winchester has so so reviews but looks good for what I am needing. Also I am not looking to wait a long time for one to be built custom. How heavy was it without the door roughly? I have three steps it needs to go up is why I ask

I never took the door off of mine, but I just used a old dolly, and the help of my oldest son. I went up 4 steps to get it into my house.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm torn between the Johnson and the Liberty myself...

I went to GM yesterday and spent about 45 minutes looking at all the Liberty safes, their options, etc. Really nice safes. But at the same time, I know the Sentry fire safes say after 10 years, you have to replace them because the fire insulation breaks down. Johnson uses a ceramic to line their safes, so they will last longer. I fully intend to make this a life long purchase, so I'm taking my time.

You can find a lot of data on typical house fires and how hot they burn, and for how long. This will be a general purpose safe for the home as well, so I'll be storing backup drives, CD's of wedding photos, and some family mementos that are irreplaceable. So I really want to make the right choice.

Top Bottom