• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    So I took everyone's recommendations and purchased 2 of the EVA dehumidifiers. I love the units and they work great, I would say I am recharging them about every 3 weeks to a month.

Now the hydrometer that I have in my gun safe is the lock down safes brand Lockdown Hygrometer Gun Safe Humidity Monitor - 25% Off! It is constantly at 70% humidity. Every time I open safe, its there, almost like its stuck. Is their a chance that it is broken or stuck, or are they not even that accurate to begin with? I would think that 2 of the eva units would be able to keep my gun safe down lower than 70% humidity. Any thoughts?

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    How often do you check / change them?

I do not have a large safe and with 4 EVA units I have to recharge them every 3-4 days (2 at a time) to keep mine down around 30-40% in the summer. If I make a mistake or go on vacation and let it get up above 50%, I will end up changing them every 2 days for 3-4 rotations until I get it back down to 30-40%.

In the winter, I can typically go at least 1-2 weeks before units need to be recharged (around January & February, they seem to last all month.)

Edit: I know many folks prefer 50% humidity for the sake of wood stocks, but I tend to prefer synthetic stocks anyway.

Last edited:

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    202   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I just bought a cheap thermometer and humidity stat at walmart with a magnetic back. I have it stuck on one of the metal rails that you adjust your shelves on. My safe stays at below 50% which I believe is where you want it. I just have the desiccants that have to be baked in the oven to recharge them, this time of year, and depending on how often you are in out of your safe, I have been recharging mine about once a month.
    I would say get a cheap unit and put it in your safe and see what it says, I think mine was under $10 dollars at walmart. Your hydrometer may be broken.

peberly400

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2012
    Warsaw
    Ok I will get another hydrometer. And I am checking my units every 4 days at least, and the second its not pure blue I recharge them. I forgot to mention I also have one of the giant cans of desiccants. I would think with 3 units of dehydration I would not have a problem keeping it below 70%. I will have to see what the new hydrometer says

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Ok I will get another hydrometer. And I am checking my units every 4 days at least, and the second its not pure blue I recharge them. I forgot to mention I also have one of the giant cans of desiccants. I would think with 3 units of dehydration I would not have a problem keeping it below 70%. I will have to see what the new hydrometer says

FWIW, I would wait until your units turn all the way before pulling them out. I do not know if they can be burned out, but I did find I was have better luck when I let them fully turn before recharging. Does the air inside smell different? I know when I open either my safe or my ammo cabinet, there is a definite scent change from the dryer air inside.

What kind of desiccant can?

Apokalypsi

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Speedway
    I got a LaCrosse hygrometer for mine (lavender colored because it was cheaper ;)). Great company with very reliable electronics. Not had one piece of their equipment fail yet.

Top Bottom