• ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I'm in the market for a safe for both handguns and long guns. I want to keep the cost reasonable--nothing fancy. Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Johnson Safes are nice (he's in Zionsville and at 1500 gun/knife shows). Can get a big one from Rural King for $750 or so as well. If you're looking for anti-theft and not particlar fire ratings just something heavy with good locking mechanism is probably fine.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Hard to say till you say what you need. A basic safe - no fire protection will keep children and casual thieves out of your guns, hard to beat the Rural King $90 to $120 Stackon units. A little nicer Stackon - carpeted, with digital combo lock and pretty thief proof (still no fire protection) runs about $350. From there you can spend what you want, $5.000 - $!0,000 for a heavy safe that has good fire protection and excellent locks.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Johnson safe. Johnson Safe
    He is a nice guy. Super friendly, fair, and from what I can tell, honest. All of his safes are made of USA made components, so if you're a Romney fan, you probably won't like them, but if you want a good, quality, safe built here in Indiana, check it out.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    Here is one of the best videos on safes I have ever seen. It's kinda long, but you will learn a ton. Check it out.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8[/ame]

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    Hard to say till you say what you need. A basic safe - no fire protection will keep children and casual thieves out of your guns, hard to beat the Rural King $90 to $120 Stackon units. A little nicer Stackon - carpeted, with digital combo lock and pretty thief proof (still no fire protection) runs about $350. From there you can spend what you want, $5.000 - $!0,000 for a heavy safe that has good fire protection and excellent locks.
    I have a Stack-On unit that I really like. Bolted to the floor and wall bracings, makes it very difficult to get broken into. Also wired to the alarm system. :)

ludlow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    I bought a Johnson safe a few months ago and I think it is great. Jeff is a good guy to work with and will build anything you want.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    How much are you willing to spend?
    You can find gun safes from $300 to $5000 and up.

Safes, in that regard are similar to guns. There are so many different brands at so many different prices.

Whatever you end up with, make sure you can bolt it to the ground like others have said.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Capacity

If all your rifles are scoped (ours are), you can figure on cutting the advertised capacity in half. Also look into some sort of rack made for handguns. They will increase handgun capacity. Just stuff to consider when determining your needs.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Just saw a decent one with a fire rating at Walmart. Was selling for about $500 or thereabouts. I've also seen some nice ones at Tractor supply in the $400-600 range.

Speedybruin4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    I got 2 nice Cannon "Safari Series" safes last year from Menards. Each one has a 24 gun capacity with convertible shelving. I got them on Black Friday for $399 each, normally
    $868. I really like them and its fire rating is 30 minutes

Safari Series | Cannon Safe

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    My advice is to get as much safe as you can afford. If you are a true gun enthusiast no matter what size you get will not be big enough. But keep in mind a solid safe is only a portion of good security. Keep people ignorant of what you have. A random burglar won't bring the type of hardware it takes to break into a decent entry level safe but if someone comes with just that in mind, then the numerous videos on the subject would be accurate.

rat-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    where the work is
    Next Indy 1500 I will be stopping by the Johnson Safe booth. I've seen the CS video on YouTube as well, lots of great info, but DAMN are those Fort Knox safes pricey. The Johnson safe price list sounds downright reasonable.

One thing in particular I'll be investigating is dual locks like available from Ft. Knox. The convenience of an electronic lock is great, but if/when it fails a standard combo dial for backup is great.

Top Bottom