• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I've worked around lead and hexavalent chrome all my working career, I've come to the conclusion that it either affects different people worse than others or the math that sets the levels needs to be reworked.

Dear N of 1. Don't draw any conclusions from your data set. It's not yet a set.

Grandpa smoked all his life and never got lung cancer. Therefore smoking is safe.

Levels should be set for the most vulnerable. Not the least.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    Lead is known to be hazardous specially in small round quantities when directly inserted into the body at a high velocity. Some people are more susceptible to this issue specially minorities in large urban environments.
    Seriously though I worry about it when I shoot in my back yard. How much shooting do I need to do to have it as a actual concern. im on a well so I worry about the water contamination as well.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Lead is known to be hazardous specially in small round quantities when directly inserted into the body at a high velocity. Some people are more susceptible to this issue specially minorities in large urban environments.
    Seriously though I worry about it when I shoot in my back yard. How much shooting do I need to do to have it as a actual concern. im on a well so I worry about the water contamination as well.

Lead is very dense. Have you noticed weight gain after shooting? This could be a warning sign.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I'm sorry to be uninformed here but is the problem that there is no ventilation in the indoor range so a person inside is somehow exposed to high amounts of lead? How is the lead being released? Is it when the round goes down range and maybe disintegrates when it's the backstop, introducing it to the air? Please enlighten me!

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Lead compounds from the primers, and lead dust from impact of the backstop. You would be amazed at the fineness of the lead when cleaning out a backstop.

We clean our club's backstop 2 to 3 times a year. And no a dust mask does not cut it when cleaning but is better than nothing.

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Never have seen the licking.

But have seen folks touching their face, eyes nose, etc., also drinking from a bottle sitting either on the firing line or from the bench directly behind the firing line.

How bout the carpet one puts their weapon and ammo on at the firing line?

Remember, your cloths likely are holding lead compounds on them as are your shoes. Then your vehicles carpet????????????????????

Overall I believe the issue of lead is overblown for most everyone, but then for the few it is not. And therein lays the problem.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    The Kentucky range is right around the corner from where I work and we go there sometimes after work or during lunch. I remember when Bluegrass Shooting Range closed due to the violations and the owner was trying to raise money for it. They have sense changed names and done some expansion. I personally don't think they have done much if anything to the ventilation. That's why I don't go very often but I do like that I get to pickup a lot of brass!!

There is another indoor range in Crestwood, KY called Open Range. This place is really nice!! It is a little more expensive but well worth it.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Ahhhh, lead, that explains my weight gain.

I'm going back to bow and arrow. Wait, do the synthetic feathers give off pvc vapors....?

I've mentioned lead fumes at my indoor gun range. I may just have to joint the local outdoor place.

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Everything is alright in moderation. Don't shoot at an indoor range every day of the week. Supplement vitamin C if you are that concerned about lead buildup in your blood.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Heck, just drink more BEER! Actually beer does remove lead (and other heavy metals) from the system quite quickly. I remember during the cold war that it was determined that beer was recommended for dealing with radiation fallout poisoning. In my city we have had a car battery manufacturing plant - originally General Battery - later Exide. My older brother was a Superintendent there and youngest son worked there for a while. All employees were tested for lead at short intervals. The heavy beer drinkers never had any problems!

Top Bottom