• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    This was an interesting article on gun ranges and lead poisonings. Mostly about indoor gun ranges and the exceedingly high levels of lead they are exposing shooters and employees to. Some of these places that were mentioned (all over the country) definitely should be closed down, but others can be cleaned up and, with proper equipment be made safe. I'd say you'd be most at risk on older indoor ranges and cheaply run ones, (after this article you'd be hard pressed to get me to go to Don's). I'd figure that most newer ranges, where the owners have put in the time and money, (and decontaminate the premises frequently) would be a safe bet. It's a sobering article, though and makes me think that a face mask and gloves might not be a bad thing on some ranges, especially if you take the kids.

It's a 3 part article, but the 1st part is the broadest based. They even take on a KY range that some members may know.

http://projects.seattletimes.com/2014/loaded-with-lead/1/

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    A friend of mine and partner in our training company was doing a lot of shooting at an indoor range in Indy and was starting to have health issues. When checked his lead level was extremely high. He stopped using the indoor range and did recover but very scary. I will not use an indoor range at all personally even tho many have gone to "clean" ammo only.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oh my goodness....We are all going to die somehow, some way...Say it ain't so....From the Seattle Times no less..A straight shooting, no bias newspaper if there ever was one....

We need to just go fullblown airsoft to make sure we are all safe....And stop letting people smoke in places...And make drugs illegal too as they have been known to cause problems...I heard that drinking too much water can even drown you.....Too much alcohol can be harmful...Genetic modified corn...My goodness, this is a dangerous world indeed....

[video=youtube;REvmhBO99I4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REvmhBO99I4[/video]

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    My brother went fishing down in Florida once with a guide. A storm came up and my brother wanted to keep fishing but the guide said "when a man's time comes, it comes...can't change that. But I am not gonna be out here with lightning in the air and in a metal boat yelling here I is Lord...here I is!"

Will shooting on an indoor range occasionally kill you from lead poisoning? Probably not. But a steady diet of it probably will have detrimental effects and I have enough health issues without adding lead to them.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've worked around lead and hexavalent chrome all my working career, I've come to the conclusion that it either affects different people worse than others or the math that sets the levels needs to be reworked.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    My brother went fishing down in Florida once with a guide. A storm came up and my brother wanted to keep fishing but the guide said "when a man's time comes, it comes...can't change that. But I am not gonna be out here with lightning in the air and in a metal boat yelling here I is Lord...here I is!"

Thanks man....I just shot Dr. Pepper through my nose...(REAL Dr Pepper with REAL sugar and none of that genetically modified corn syrup) and it burned...That is one funny story and you conveyed the moment well enough that I actually had a visual of some salty old flats guide telling your brother that....Rep inbound....

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I've worked around lead and hexavalent chrome all my working career, I've come to the conclusion that it either affects different people worse than others or the math that sets the levels needs to be reworked.

How did you come to that conclussion? I surprised you can even see with that lead in your eye...

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I am just saying the are many harmful things we cannot avoid, the air in some cities is worse than any indoor range. But why expose yourself to a known toxin that can be easily avoided. I quit smoking because of the health risks, I watch my cholesterol and try to exercise daily. I am going to do anything feasible to be able to spend more time with my family. Am I going to completely change my lifestyle? Nope...but I will avoid things that are easily avoided.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Or maybe you and your company operate in a safe manner and take precautions? I'd figure many ranges take precautions to mitigate lead exposure, and that some are more successful than others. But, when it comes down to it you have to take the responsibility for yourself. That doesn't mean giving up shooting at indoor ranges, but it wouldn't hurt to to seriously question the owners (and if you were an employee to have frequent blood tests for lead) about their measures and decon procedures.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Not saying lead can't be an issue, but the media will exaggerate the problem in an attempt to generate fear, and promote more .gov regulation (back door gun control).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not saying lead can't be an issue, but the media will exaggerate the problem in an attempt to generate fear, and promote more .gov regulation (back door gun control).

Yeah, I could see how this would work. Close down existing outdoor ranges or prevent new ones from opening because of noise concerns or errantly fired rounds hitting the children in their backyards. Then trump up and exaggerate safety concerns of indoor ranges so that you make them so expensive to construct and operate that shooters will run out of places to shoot. If you can't get rid of the guns or regulate the lead out of the ammo, attack from the other end. Like you said coserman, I have little doubt there could be a hazard generated but let's be wary of the alarm and concern and watch what the other hand is doing.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, the Seattle Times is definitely a lefty-libtard paper. So, the obvious conclusion is it's just an anti-gun / anti-2A attack coming from a different direction. Another feeble (minded) attempt to 'scare' folks about the 'evils of those scary guns!'. :laugh:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I really didn't see much in the way of anti-gunnery in the article. It seemed fairly politically neutral to me.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I really didn't see much in the way of anti-gunnery in the article. It seemed fairly politically neutral to me.

Sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.
    Same here. Didn't see any calls for gun control or the like and it was pretty neutral overall. Maybe their agenda is to see to it that indoor ranges take better care of their employees and customers and not poison them. Shoot, many people in this thread may not have even read the article. Wouldn't be the first time.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Same here. Didn't see any calls for gun control or the like and it was pretty neutral overall. Maybe their agenda is to see to it that indoor ranges take better care of their employees and customers and not poison them. Shoot, many people in this thread may not have even read the article. Wouldn't be the first time.

I agree. I read (well skimmed) all three parts of the article and thought it was mostly good. I agree it seemed the intent was to show where the laws didn't make sense and needed to be corrected and that certain ranges you might want to avoid. If I visit a range and start getting that burning sensation at the back of my throat, I realize things aren't as they should be and I don't go back. There is one local range I won't go to any more, even though I have some pre-paid visits that I'll lose. Not worth the health risk IMO.

Top Bottom