• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    I am given a lot of thought to the gun controversy in this country. I cringe every time a gun is used to commit a crime and the media grabs it. I have written some of my thoughts down and if you gave the time, maybe you can comment. It is long, sorry.....I think a lot! :nuts:

Thoughts from a Gun Owner to Gun Haters

My name is (Deleted for anonymity). I have owned and shot all kinds of guns. My parents gave me my first BB gun when I was 7. A Daisy Red Rider like in “A Christmas Story.” I shot that gun in our basement with a heavy blanket as a back stop. 2 years later I got 2 more BB/ pellet air guns for Christmas (1964). A pistol that used CO2 cartridges, it looked like a Colt 45, and a Crosman 176 pump type air rifle. I also received a nice steel target box with moving targets inside. More time spent in the basement! We moved to a new home in 1966 that included 6 acres of land with a small pond and woods. Beyond our property there was swamp, prairie, and more woods. I enjoyed using my guns outdoors. My father bought a 22 caliber rifle and he had a 12 gauge shotgun that I was welcome to use. That Christmas I received a 20 gauge shotgun of my own. My friends and I enjoyed hunting, shooting at targets, and trap shooting. I would often go hunting after school. I would walk through our property and keep on going, often for another mile or 2 through the woods and prairies. I loved being outdoors summer or winter. I sometimes exited the woods more than a mile from home and hitched a ride back. I even got a ride from a County Sheriff once in a marked car! No one saw any problem with me using a gun or walking home on the street with one after I unloaded it. Imagine doing that today!
    Now I am 58. Times have changed. I am an NRA member. I joined because they fight for the 2nd amendment. I am also an ordained Deacon in the Catholic Church. I have a Lifetime License to Carry a handgun in the state of Indiana. I never carry a concealed weapon, but I believe that individuals who are not criminals or mentally challenged should be able to do so as law abiding Americans. I am proud that Indiana has allowed this privilege to continue. I have lots of handguns, a 22 rifle, my dad’s old shotgun, and a cool looking gun that is a lot of fun to shoot. It is a S&W AR15-22. Yup one of those “assault” rifles that some would like to ban. It is a 22 caliber and is very low cost to shoot. I take it along with other guns to a range on a regular basis. I have friends who join me there. We can spend a couple of hours together and enjoy the weather if we are outdoors. One buddy brought his 20 year old daughter along. Her first time shooting and she loved it! Some of the wives have joined in the fun. We are not cowboys, gang members, or criminals. We enjoy our sport as much as those who bowl, play bingo, or golf. There are many of us who enjoy the shooting sports. Hunters, skeet and trap shooters, and guys like us who like the feel of a well made gun. Hitting a target can be a competitive challenge.
    So what’s my point in this? America is seeking answers. How to stop the killing? Yes guns are often in the hands of criminals who do not value life as we do. The right and left are battling to decide if I can keep my guns, buy more, or continue to shoot. I believe that some compromises need to be made. We have had to give up a lot of rights in the interest of safety since 9-11. We are subject to searches in airports, schools, federal and municipal buildings. We need passports now even if we are going to Canada. Perhaps gun owners will need to lose some of their rights, too.
    The real problem is that guns are getting into the hands of criminals and crazies. With this in mind, a background check makes sense. A background check, through the FBI, insures that the person has no criminal record. This procedure is used when you purchase a new gun. I have no problem with this rule. There are ways around this. A seller who is not a dealer can transfer ownership of a gun without a background check. This is a loophole that should be closed. I should know that the person I am selling a gun to is not a criminal.
    The next problem we face is the fact that many guns used by criminals are stolen. I believe that every gun owner has the obligation to keep his gun or guns locked up when not in use. I have a gun safe where I keep most of my guns. I have 1 gun that is reserved for self defense of my home and family. This gun is kept in a small safe in a drawer where it can be reached in an emergency. None of my guns are accessible without the key codes that my wife and I share. Our grand-kids are safe. The guns are safe. All guns come with a trigger lock to prevent unauthorized use. This will not keep a gun from being stolen. Gun owners should lock their guns in a safe place. A cabinet or safe is not that expensive. Any gun that is stolen should immediately be reported to the police. Keep a record of the serial #s. I have pictures of each gun that I own along with the serial #s and make and model.
    The last point that I wish to make is I am not a criminal! I stated this earlier. I and the gun makers and sellers should not lose the right to own, use, purchase, sell, or carry any gun that is legal today! Assault weapons are rifles and handguns that have moveable stocks, extra hand grips, and often larger capacity magazines. They are simply different looking guns. The problem is that we see these used in movies and video games where many people are killed. Maybe it is time for our entertainment industry to step up and limit who can see these movies or play these video games. They have a huge affect on young minds.
    Limiting access to the guns by law abiding citizens is not the answer! New taxes and ammo limits won’t fix the problem either! We cannot legislate what a criminal will do! They don’t follow rules!
    I live in NW Indiana near Chicago. I watch the news from Chicago and the killing is sickening. You cannot legally have a gun on your person unless you are a law enforcement officer in the city, yet hundreds of people are shot there every year. What if you could carry a gun legally in Chicago? Would the criminals be so quick to shoot? Statistics say no! Chicago has a huge problem with gangs and drugs. The only way to stop the killing is drive them out or off of the streets. The best method to drive them away is harassment! Yes, stop anyone suspected of criminal intent. Standing on a corner, driving a car, you don’t look right, the police will stop you. Pat them down, check for warrants, take them in for ANYTHING! Littering, loitering, spitting on the sidewalk…take them in! Sure they will be back out tomorrow, but the message will be sent. We are watching your every move. You cannot do business on our streets. We will search you and your car every time we stop you! Not legal you say? The police usually find a way around this. I thought I saw drugs in the car. I smelled alcohol. The suspect was acting suspiciously. They will get the message! Law abiding citizens have nothing to worry about. I would not mind being detained for a few minutes if I knew that the police were doing their job. This type of enforcement has worked elsewhere. It will mean that the police have more work to do, but this is their job! They are getting paid to do this. A few months of this police work will result in fewer criminals on the street and a safer place for law abiding citizens to live.
    These are my thoughts. They are not going to make either side happy, but I believe that they make sense. Maybe it is time be sensible and stop arguing!

Wesley929

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    NW INDY
    Thank you for sharing. The moral fabric of society today is nothing like it was when you were a kid. It's very sad that my generation (30 yrs younger than OP) takes so many rights, privileges, and gifts from God for granted.
    More parents need to heed the words from Proverbs 22:6, "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it"

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    Great read you put together and I agree times are changing for the worse it seems. May want to use the "enter" key a bit more to break up that wall of text!

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Picking and choosing which freedoms are acceptable to you, eh.

Given that you just set a precedent that some freedoms are not worth having any more in society what are you planning on doing when someone else has a list that doesn't include your firearms on it? And they have the power to enforce it?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You hit the nail right on the head Rob! It's to bad a people only see the bad stuff guns do, and when somebody does do something good, the media spins it to make them look awful! During hunting season when I was in high school, I always "forgot" my shotgun was on the rack in the truck window so I could go hunting right after school. I don't ever recall taking it into school and shooting people, no matter how mad they made me. It's to bad society acts like men need to be a bunch of pansy ass wimps.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I am a 71 year old citizen, a resident of Indiana all my life. I am also Law abiding. I have a LTCH and do carry, since I no longer can properly defend myself against even unarmed 25 year old bad guys. I too was raised using firearms from a fairly early age, both for Hunting and Target shooting. I no longer hunt partially to my physical conditions and the fact I never hunted anything I didn't eat. I still target shoot. However I totally disagree with your statements that we "need" to have background checks for all firearm sales or transfers. I think you do believe this would keep guns out of the hands of criminals. However I not only do not believe it would help, I KNOW it would have no beneficial effect at all. There are several million guns in the USA. Many are in the hands of gang members, felons and mentally ill persons. I can assure you that almost all these guns were not obtained by buying legally. Many were stolen - yeah, 99% of "gun cabinets or gun safes" can be opened by a criminal in minutes -not hours. The ATF is known to have lost track of guns in many of their schemes - and this is publicized. In my younger days I did drink and frequented bars. I couldn't count the number of firearms bought and sold in the bars. Some of the people selling and buying were not of the finest citizen category. The ONLY thing that is sure to be accomplished with 100% background checks is that all LEGAL gun owners will now be registering their firearms. Which means if a gun ban is pushed illegally through Congress - THEY know where to go to confiscate all the guns held by law abiding citizens. Are you naive enough to believe that ANY criminal will buy any weapon that is traceable to him? You also seem to favor some LAW that all weapons must be either equipped with a "Gun Lock" or kept in a safe. Let me ask you, did your father have gun locks on his firearms or keep them locked in a safe? I know when I was a lad at least half the homes I was in had firearms in plain sight without any locks. Often ammunition was stored on a shelf near the guns. I don't recall ANYONE, child or teenager, using any weapon without being authorized. I raised 6 children, and believe that supervision is far more important than "hiding" items that may endanger them. I don't have gun locks on any firearm, I do have my collection in safes. But I do have loaded - READY to fire handguns available for home defense. A firearm with a lock or one in a safe certainly is less effective than a ball bat in the case of an intruder, unless you can ask him to wait until you get your gun our or unlock it. Your "Compromises" are music to the Liberal gun "REMOVAL" people - The number of children killed or injured by firearms are very low compared to other issues - like car wrecks due caused by cell phone / texting, drunk driving, and other avoidable issues, drowning in swimming pools, medicine / poison ingestion, etc. If saving children was the liberal agenda, these would be the lead items on the news.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    IF YOU STOP BACKGROUND CHECKS, THERE WILL BE NO REASON FOR THE CRIMINALS TO OBTAIN THE FIREARMS ILLEGALLY.....

I dont get why this isnt clear....

If you stop background checks, you will be shoulder checking thugs in your local gunshop...

Plus, taking the reason for them to buy illegally, will eliminate the old standby charge of obtaining an illegal firearm... I know everyone's afraid that the government is gonna pull the plug and everyone is gonna go in one day, and be denied... but the fact is, it would be FAR worse, if any ghetto thug, could go into your favorite gun shop, and walk out with a firearm.. How do you think they'd feel about selling a firearm to a thug? ****... No one wants to sell a gun to a criminal....

Mr.Softball

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Perry County
    I do not think background checks are a bad thing only to felons and if you have a legal gun you need to not be afraid to use it to defend yourself from the felons.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I appreciate the perspective since I have seen the times change as well. However, I disagree with the universal background checks. Let's ignore stolen firearms for a moment and just consider purchases. The people that couldn't pass a background check and are willing to defy the law will just buy from a private seller. Laws only apply to those who obey them and those who get caught breaking them. To make universal background checks work would require registration and periodic compliance inspections to ensure that the registerered owner is still in possession of the firearm. I am not willing to accept those limitations to my rights or my freedom. Don't even get me started on the feel good non-sense at the airports. Just sharing my opinion.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I agree, if you are going to make a giant post and want people to read it, wall of text is an instant pass. Your enter key is your friend. I have no idea what you posted, I scrolled down saw the massive collection of words and decided I didn't care to be lost in it.

RobyG78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Rochester
    Let be honest and rational for a second Gun Control does not work. Look up other countries who have done this like the UK thehomeoffice (kinda like the FBI stats) stats on Violent crime.

While it is on my mind, I will say this. It is not Hollywood's or the Gaming Industry's fault 14 year olds are playing Call of Duty or watching Punisher it is their PARENTS. Society has become more entitled and less caring because we teach kids it is ok to talk back to your parents, bully people, and there is no accountability in the world. We fail to teach kids right and wrong, life lessons because we over protect them, and turn them into zombies when they have extra energy.

I never got into trouble much when I was growing up and I still to this day feel wrong for saying **** in front of my mother and slightly expect a slap on the back of the head if I slip up and I am in my mid 30s. It is not that I didn't want o go out and do stupid thing s or bad things. It was that I was scared that if I got caught I would then be picking a switch from a tree. Physiologically that act is far more effective then the actual smack on the butt with it, or at least for me it was.

In population centers with 250k or more is were the majority if violent crimes happen and most of that being between criminals on both sides.

How do we fix this :dunno: I am up for suggestions.

Rob

Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    The ONLY thing that is sure to be accomplished with 100% background checks is that all LEGAL gun owners will now be registering their firearms.

This is not true! The gun is NOT registered when a check is made!

Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    While it is on my mind, I will say this. It is not Hollywood's or the Gaming Industry's fault 14 year olds are playing Call of Duty or watching Punisher it is their PARENTS. Society has become more entitled and less caring because we teach kids it is ok to talk back to your parents, bully people, and there is no accountability in the world. We fail to teach kids right and wrong, life lessons because we over protect them, and turn them into zombies when they have extra energy.

How do we fix this :dunno: I am up for suggestions.

Rob

Most young criminals have no parental guidance because the father and mother never wed. This is where society has taken us. No moral foundation and gangs become families. Lots of blame to go around. I spend time talking to juveniles in detention homes. They are on their own most of the time and they teach each other.....

Rob54

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Merrillville, Indiana
    I agree, if you are going to make a giant post and want people to read it, wall of text is an instant pass. Your enter key is your friend. I have no idea what you posted, I scrolled down saw the massive collection of words and decided I didn't care to be lost in it.

Sorry, I pasted a letter that I wrote and I agree, it doesn't look very inviting to read.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    The ONLY thing that is sure to be accomplished with 100% background checks is that all LEGAL gun owners will now be registering their firearms.

This is not true! The gun is NOT registered when a check is made!
    For universal background checks to be enforceable, all guns would need to be registered.

At this time I have x number of firearms. The universal background check becomes law and is enacted. I neighbor has a rifle he wants to sell, I want the rifle and I pay the asking price. We don't bother with the background check because we've know each other for decades.

How will this violation be detected? How would the authorities be able to prove that I purchased that rifle after the new law went into effect?

The only way to prevent that and be able to enforce the universal check would be to register all firearms. One other possibility would be to require all firearm owners to maintain a "bound book" like that required of FFL holders.

It is for these reasons that I am opposed to a universal background check.

RobyG78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Rochester
    All that I was saying is that just saying Guns are bad we should take them away is obtuse. I could raise that point against anything. Your are right I am putting the blame on other people 1. because I myself am not a father 2. That is were the buck stops. That is the lowest common denominator for it all. It is also a violent circle violent people have kids those kids grow up without good/moral influences have kids starting the cycle over again. We will never stamp out poverty and ignorance. What each of us do to decrease or influence these peoples lives is how you can measure someone's worth. :soapbox: Probably

Top Bottom