• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    i work at a hospital, and obviously they dont want their employees carrying guns while on the clock. well, a couple of days ago, i was having a casual conversation with a few coworkers and a supervisor (it was a really slow time) about carrying and what not. one of the girls has her license, but doesnt carry when she comes to work because she was told she could lose her job if they ever found her gun.

i immediately jumped on that one, citing IC 34-28-7-2 (Indiana Code 34-28-7 for those who are unfamiliar or dont feel like googling).

my supervisor replied by saying that it doesnt matter what the code says, she could still get fired (the girl)

i just kept my mouth shut, i didnt want to argue. i leave my gun in a lockbox, bolted to my car when i go in to work. you guys agree though right? hospitals dont seem to fall into any of the no-no zones

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Keep your mouth shut. Indiana is an "at will" employment state. They may not be legally allowed to fire you for that reason, but they can certainly fire you for no reason.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    i work at a no gun place as well but i cant even take one in my car because i have to go through a guard search before i even get to my parking lot.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Keep your mouth shut. Indiana is an "at will" employment state. They may not be legally allowed to fire you for that reason, but they can certainly fire you for no reason.

What he said. Other than the keep your mouth shut part. Your employer can fire you because they dont like the way the wind blows. Supervisor or not I wouldn't hesitate to educate him if a bunch of bs is coming out of his mouth.

rs1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    lafayette
    I am with tom1025 I would educate but with this being an at will state I would not tell I did I am in the same boat my employer has a rule we can not have them on the property

SlugRetention

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 28, 2012
    Wells Co.
    :bs:Yeap, dont tell anybody you got it.
    I also have to leave my gun in my car...Hopefully it will never be needed, but if it is, there
    is no way that I could make it to my car and back in time to save anybody..

:bs:

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I work at a refinery and we cannot have firearms in our vehicles, even if in locked case. Dogs come around periodically checking for guns, drugs or alcohol. If I want to go shooting right after work I have to park couple blocks away off company property. I have no issue with their security requirements. Just inconvenient.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    i work at a hospital, and obviously they dont want their employees carrying guns while on the clock. well, a couple of days ago, i was having a casual conversation with a few coworkers and a supervisor (it was a really slow time) about carrying and what not. one of the girls has her license, but doesnt carry when she comes to work because she was told she could lose her job if they ever found her gun.

i immediately jumped on that one, citing IC 34-28-7-2 (Indiana Code 34-28-7 for those who are unfamiliar or dont feel like googling).

my supervisor replied by saying that it doesnt matter what the code says, she could still get fired (the girl)

i just kept my mouth shut, i didnt want to argue. i leave my gun in a lockbox, bolted to my car when i go in to work. you guys agree though right? hospitals dont seem to fall into any of the no-no zones

Right, hospitals are not on the prohibited list. I work at a hospital in Indianapolis and keep it locked up in my car on the property. I talked with my supervisor about it when I took the job so he knows about it and just said "as long as I don't hear about or see it." Just don't go blabbin' and you'll be ok however you do not have to notify anybody.

Last edited:

trip9901

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    As much as I hate to leave my baby locked in a glove box I still bring it to and from work every day. " what momma don't know wont hurt her".
    I'm with everyone els, keep your mouth shut about it and no one will ever know.

nkdninjafrog

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2012
    Muncie
    good to know! thanks for all the opinions and advice guys. i'll continue to keep doing what i do. better to have it somewhere close by than at home

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I'm thinking ...

Old can of coffee to store the gun in & a bunch of doggie treats distributed around the parking lot. :D

I work at a refinery and we cannot have firearms in our vehicles, even if in locked case. Dogs come around periodically checking for guns, drugs or alcohol. If I want to go shooting right after work I have to park couple blocks away off company property. I have no issue with their security requirements. Just inconvenient.

jabbett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    This seems pretty vague:

IC 34-28-7-2
    Regulation of employees' firearms and ammunition by employers
    Sec. 2. (a) Notwithstanding any other law and except as provided in subsection (b), a person may not adopt or enforce an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that:
    (1) prohibits; or
    (2) has the effect of prohibiting;
    an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition that is locked in the trunk of the employee's vehicle, kept in the glove compartment of the employee's locked vehicle, or stored out of plain sight in the employee's locked vehicle.
    (b) Subsection (a) does not prohibit the adoption or enforcement of an ordinance, a resolution, a policy, or a rule that prohibits or has the effect of prohibiting an employee of the person, including a contract employee, from possessing a firearm or ammunition:
    (1) in or on school property, in or on property that is being used by a school for a school function, or on a school bus in violation of IC 20-33-8-16 or IC 35-47-9-2;
    (2) on the property of:
    (A) a child caring institution;
    (B) an emergency shelter care child caring institution;
    (C) a private secure facility;

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend

Can you please elaborate on this? I work for a huge company and it took several mos to fire several low lifes from my job and Human Resources sited the Employment law changes that happened and you can no longer fire anybody for no reason.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Can you please elaborate on this? I work for a huge company and it took several mos to fire several low lifes from my job and Human Resources sited the Employment law changes that happened and you can no longer fire anybody for no reason.

You still can fire them at will. It only means that there is a high probability that the former employee will get unemployment benefits, and the company you work for gets its rates increased.

HR hates that, so they say to have solid documentation, etc. so that they can dispute the unemployment claim with some footing.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

I think refineries are on the big no list from Dept. Homeland Sec.

Top Bottom