• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Look for a sign in some obvious place. If not visible, then look for a sign in a less than obvious place.

Some places have them on/near the doors. Other places have them in 'common' areas (food courts and office/bathroom areas at shopping malls). If they are not posted then there is no reason to presume they have a disarmament policy.
    Thanks. I wondered if people were just randomly calling places and asking.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I carried in CVS yesterday and did not see any signs. If I happened to miss a sign, what is the worse that would happen to me? From the posts here it sounds like I could just be asked to leave. If I ignore this, I could be trespassing. Do I understand this correctly?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I carried in CVS yesterday and did not see any signs. If I happened to miss a sign, what is the worse that would happen to me? From the posts here it sounds like I could just be asked to leave. If I ignore this, I could be trespassing. Do I understand this correctly?
    That is what I have been told countless times. I can find nothing to the contrary. Apparently the No Guns signs are a declaration of "store policy" but carry no force of Indiana law. On the other hand, if you don't leave if asked, it is likely that the trespassing charges could be be elevated to something higher if you are in any way mouthy with the responding officer. If asked to leave you should exercise your carry rights at a different store.

epsylum

What's going on up here?
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey folks, this is wonderful, but what CITIES are these places located in?

If we are going to build any sort of database then we need to know a reasonable amount of information. I propose we list the NAME of the place, the TYPE OF BUSINES, and the CITY or CITIES in which it/they are located. If you also have the STREET ADDRESS that is a bonus. JMO

Tuchman Cleaners at 86th and Ditch in Indianapolis

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    All shopping malls owned by the Simon Group, small sign usually posted in the hallway for the main offices and restrooms, on the wall opposite the office entrance.

wolfman

RF7126

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    West-Central Indiana
    Hi all,
    I'm new here (from GT) but I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring on this one. For better or worse I'm currently a rent-a-cop at a mall so I take interest when these threads come up.

I've found that if I try to explain everything about the job I tend to write a small essay so I'll keep it short. In the mall I work at (PM if you want more details) most of the guys aren't going to hassle you if you're reasonably concealed. Unfortunately, some of the guys will get all excited and tell you to leave or take it outside. Up to that point you're safe legally, no legal action can be taken. However, as mentioned above, if you tell them to f-off (and I understand it's tough not to do sometimes) they can call the local police and you could conceivably get hooked for trespassing.

On the other hand, I've "caught" many guys carrying and usually just give them a heads-up about the above-mentioned overzealous guys. Many times I've not said anything. Depending on the circumstances I may politely request to see a license, but this is simply me saying "help me out, I could get fired for not asking you to leave, at least reassure me you're legal and I didn't just talk with a felon who's carrying illegally." It also seems to help prevent the sheeple stampede if you accidentally flashed. I support open carry, but if I get a call from a frantic store manager there's not much I can do, particularly if there's an off-duty cop working as they almost always ask people to leave it in the car.

Just some info if you're ever visiting a mall in a small city in west-central Indiana. :)

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Post office is federal property, and technically prohibited.

The Library should only be prohibited if it is actively being used by a school, for a school sponsored function as I understand Indiana Law.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I enjoy carrying in Simon Malls. :-)

And the 5/3 Bank Branch at Southport and Gray Roads in Indianapolis has a little sticker on the door... A picture of a pistol, circled with a line through it.

I've been in there several times whilst carrying. Plus, the firearm depicted on the sticker looks remarkably similar to a S&W Model 39. I figure that since I don't have one of those, then I'm OK.

Also, the Value City Furniture store on US 31 South (Across from the Greenwood Park Mall) has a "no guns" sticker on the window between the front doors. I think this sticker depicts a revolver, so I just carry my pistol when I'm in there.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Also, the Value City Furniture store on US 31 South (Across from the Greenwood Park Mall) has a "no guns" sticker on the window between the front doors. I think this sticker depicts a revolver, so I just carry my pistol when I'm in there. -

The VCF I first saw posted amused me to no end. It had a sticker that said something like "We provide a safe shopping experience, so no guns allowed" (paraphrased). And yet, I walked around for ten minutes before I saw anyone, much less an armed security guard.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    All shopping malls owned by the Simon Group, small sign usually posted in the hallway for the main offices and restrooms, on the wall opposite the office entrance.

wolfman

So, does that mean that the Pacers cannot shop in a Simon Mall or
    are Professional Gangsters employed by the Simon's
    excluded :D from the NO GUN POLICY

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The VCF I first saw posted amused me to no end. It had a sticker that said something like "We provide a safe shopping experience, so no guns allowed" (paraphrased). And yet, I walked around for ten minutes before I saw anyone, much less an armed security guard.

That is why it is safe. No one is there. The only way to hurt yourself is slip and fall. :lmfao:

intergalactic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    No Gun Zones?

I have noticed these no guns allowed signs showing up around town. I first noticed them at movie theatres (especially ones part of the Regal Group). I have also noticed them at a nick-knack store called Tuesday Mornings and the VCF chains. I carry in a Fobus holster with my shirt un-tucked and I have never been stopped anywhere that I have gone and I have been many places on other peoples lists of no carry zones (Chili's is our favorite place to eat!).

Something interesting that I learned in a recent legal class that I took was that places that restrict a constitutional right supported by the state also can assume the liability for your safety. This can especially be true at VCF stores where they disclose that they have provided a safe shopping environment and there is no need to carry a weapon. With this being said if an establishment tells you that you can not carry and you are involved in an incident that had you been carrying could have been avoided you may be able to sue them for the violation of your rights and lack of protection. I am not sure if this has ever been done, but it is an interesting view point.

The time I was in Tuesday Mornings in Avon and I was ready to check out I told the clerk that I really enjoyed the sign in the door prohibiting guns. She replied to me saying that she liked it as well and it makes her feel safer knowing that there are no guns in the store. That is when I informed her that the sign actually said please come rob me because I restrict my honest customers from carrying and there is no one to stop you from taking anything you want.

She actually thought about it for a moment and said that she had not thought about it that way.

Joshua

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The time I was in Tuesday Mornings in Avon and I was ready to check out I told the clerk that I really enjoyed the sign in the door prohibiting guns. She replied to me saying that she liked it as well and it makes her feel safer knowing that there are no guns in the store. That is when I informed her that the sign actually said please come rob me because I restrict my honest customers from carrying and there is no one to stop you from taking anything you want.

She actually thought about it for a moment and said that she had not thought about it that way.

Joshua

:welcome: Joshua, and great job on educating the :sheep: ! Two posts here and you're already getting positive rep points! :)

Blessings,
    B

Top Bottom