• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Oh, i thought you were trading a gun to get a wife. I would have advised you to keep the gun. :)
    But in all seriousness, whatever feels good to her and she can handle is what you need to get her.

I thought he was trading his wife for a gun, haven't seen a deal that good in a long time LOL.

Have you tried the Walther PK380, real easy to rack the slide and light recoil.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    One of my daughters didn't want to learn before she moved out. I insisted she get (and she did) a shotgun. All she has to do is point in the general direction and pull the trigger. With a handgun, she would have to aim under pressure (and in a hurry) and hope to hit what she's aiming at.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    One of my daughters didn't want to learn before she moved out. I insisted she get (and she did) a shotgun. All she has to do is point in the general direction and pull the trigger. With a handgun, she would have to aim under pressure (and in a hurry) and hope to hit what she's aiming at.

NO! NO! NO! (sorry. dislike common misconceptions)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8
    And somewhere, there is a video showing the effect at different ranges.

Inside a house, where distances are smaller, the pattern will only open up an inch or two. While that's better than what a pistol can cover, YOU STILL HAVE TO AIM.

That said, I have a shotgun for home defense. Just know it's limitations, and have a pistol backup.

Tink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2012
    So. Bend
    NO! NO! NO! (sorry. dislike common misconceptions)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrxkjRXk7m8
    And somewhere, there is a video showing the effect at different ranges.

Inside a house, where distances are smaller, the pattern will only open up an inch or two. While that's better than what a pistol can cover, YOU STILL HAVE TO AIM.

That said, I have a shotgun for home defense. Just know it's limitations, and have a pistol backup.

Thanks for that video. I didn't know that about the ammo. Looks like i will be taking her back out to the country for some more practice.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Thanks for that video. I didn't know that about the ammo. Looks like i will be taking her back out to the country for some more practice.

Whether she uses a shotty, pistol, or rifle, she should know how to:
    Load, unload, operate, and clear malfunction. I'm not saying she has to be the best in the world. But, if you're usung your weapon in self defense, you really can't call a time out.
    I've seen people grab a fire extinguisher, then freeze, because they never practiced.
    In an emergency you brain operates at a simpler level. Training will help when you start to become overwhelmed.

I also highly recommend a class on defensive shooting, and Indiana gun law. It will cost a little. But the training and piece of mind is well worth it. And, its fun.

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    Another weapon people tend to ignore is the Beretta Tomcat- its a .32 ACP with a tip-up barrel, which negates the issues with racking a slide.

Also, +1 to revolver suggestions. Ease of use and simplicity in design make them great for new gun owners (and folks who like the classics :):).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If this is going to be a house gun, what about a compact rifle in .45 ACP, 9mm, or .357? They are typically easy to operate, easier to hit with, and the recoil is extremely manageable.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    Oh, jeez, on the shotgun not being aimed and clearing the room! I have a Mossy pump with an 18" improved cylinder barrel. It opens up 1" per YARD. So at 8 yards (much greater than most in-house shooting distances) you get an 8" pattern with 00 buck. Plus a long barrel weapon is much easier to grab and take away from your wife after she misses and is blind and has no hearing and is in shock.

boomtastic

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Ruger bodyguard. 38 (revolver) or. 380 (semi-auto) come with the lazer grip just point and shoot no range needed perfect size for her purse or light enough to CC

dbrier

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 17, 2008
    Indianapolis IN
    I almost never reccomend a .38 special, I always suggest people buy the the .357. It gives you the option to use either ammuntion and it lets the new shooter "grow" a bit with more powerful ammuntion.
    If the gun will never be CC, a good 4 inch .357 revolver is hard to beat for the price, ease of use, and stopping power.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    What a relief... Going from the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for a trade.

It sounds like there is no carry anticipated, which opens up a whole lot more guns to her. As said a bunch of times, have her try some out to see what she's comfortable with. But, don't be too quick to go with something light. If she will not carry it, light weight only works against her. A heavier gun like a CZ would be easier for her to shoot.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What a relief... Going from the title of this thread, I thought you were looking for a trade.

It sounds like there is no carry anticipated, which opens up a whole lot more guns to her. As said a bunch of times, have her try some out to see what she's comfortable with. But, don't be too quick to go with something light. If she will not carry it, light weight only works against her. A heavier gun like a CZ would be easier for her to shoot.

And the CZ has a better grip for smaller hands w/stock grips. Not striker fired so she'll need to learn to use the safety. She'll need practice with the safety between her ears too.:yesway: We all do.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have several semi-autos ranging from .380, to 9mm to 45acp. My wife was having a hard time with all of them due to the strength required to cycle the slide. I understand that in a purely self-defense situation, she wouldn't need to do that. But I considered the fact that I also want my wife to enjoy shooting, enjoy putting 100 rounds downrange on a trip to the range. Would you enjoy shooting a gun you had a hard time mastering because of lack of hand strength? I wouldn't. Would you feel confident with that gun? I wouldn't. I think for ladies who don't have the strength in their hands that you or I do, a revolver is a great choice. I ended up buying my wife a S&W 626, 7 round cylinder. Shoots 38 spl or 357. She handles that gun just fine, qualified for her Minnesota permit at an NRA sponsored class up there. She enjoys shooting it, and its a great pistol. Plenty of power for self-defense, simple operation, and she can enjoy shooting it at the range.

Top Bottom