• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Looking for something to refinish an old shotgun that has rust damage / pitting and no bluing left (870 pump). Want something durable to prevent further rust. Appearance not that important.

I've heard of people using household spray paint.

Gun Kote seems like a reasonably cheap option too.

Anyone used any of these things and can tell me how easy they were to apply, and how well they hold up

thanks

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Well, if you have a High Velocity Low Pressure (HVLP) airgun and can meter the pressure, you may want to try Dura Coat. One can do it themselves. I've done several weapons for friends. Dura Coat is more like a paint, and I know some folks that have used automotive paints. The problem is to get all of the rust off of the weapon prior to coating. Cerakote also makes a product now (I think) that is air-dry usable. Good Luck.

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I don't have any fancy equipment -not even a good brush !

Was hoping to get by with an aerosol can. Someone told me he used some matt black grill paint (spray can). I did not see the results

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    If I wanted to get some equipment to do a good spray job with Gun Kote, what is good equipment to get ?

Well, if you have a High Velocity Low Pressure (HVLP) airgun and can meter the pressure, you may want to try Dura Coat. One can do it themselves. I've done several weapons for friends. Dura Coat is more like a paint, and I know some folks that have used automotive paints. The problem is to get all of the rust off of the weapon prior to coating. Cerakote also makes a product now (I think) that is air-dry usable. Good Luck.

Top Bottom