• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have just recently entered into shooting organized matches, the IDPA and USPSA. I've met a lot of people and they claim that they don't clean before a match or clean the gun after every range use. In fact, one fella claimed that he went 4,200 rounds before he cleaned his 1911, that's when the gun acted up. He did it as an experiment.

Hah! I'm guessing I'm the guy in question? My 9mm Springfield had a failure to go fully into battery on 08AUG09 during an IDPA match at Wildcat Valley. It had successfully fired 4341 rounds prior to that day, but I don't know how many rounds additional that day before the hiccup. I let it get dry over the previous two or three matches, but I believe that if I'd kept lubing it occasionally, it would have gone indefiinitely. As of Sunday it has 23,465 rounds through it total with maybe 4-5 total malfunctions since about the 500 round mark. All of them happened when the gun got dry. It will filthy as long as it has some lube. It won't run very long if it's spotless clean, but dry, so . . . not much to be gained by cleaning it.

My primary reason for not cleaning is that I am lazy. My secondary reason for not cleaning is that it's not necessary with my guns (including my ARs). Others may have different results.

I will admit that my carry guns are significantly clearner, but not spotless. After I clean them, I prefer to fire a few rounds to confirm that they are still 100% functional.

The latter part is actually pretty common among USPSA shooters. After they clean a gun thoroughly, they'll fire a few rounds before a match to make sure everything is working okay.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    All I have are Glocks and they don't seem to require much maintenance. The only time I get to shoot anymore is at matches. I clean every couple of matches. The only reason I do that is
    1) I shoot lead so the barrel needs attention.

2) I use Unique powder which seems to provide a lot of build up on the inside.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Depends on the gun.

I put 4000rds thru my suppressed 9mm SBR, the only malfunctions that gun ever experienced were mag related.

My other ARs will get a bolt wipe down and relubed, ONLY, if I run it very hard ie: high round count range session or if I shoot suppressed all day.

My Glocks, I don't clean them. I ocassionally will wipe the powder residue off the front of the slide, other than that it just gets a tiny bit more lube.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    What about the "inspection" factor?

I always clean after shooting, and have found 2 of 3 of my gas rings on my AR bolt were gone. It still fired, but I was able to replace the rings before I fired it again. I've found loosened sights as well. I guess I could just inspect them, but as long as they're apart....

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    What about the "inspection" factor?

I always clean after shooting, and have found 2 of 3 of my gas rings on my AR bolt were gone. It still fired, but I was able to replace the rings before I fired it again. I've found loosened sights as well. I guess I could just inspect them, but as long as they're apart....

Giving the gun the proverbal "once over", should be done at regular intervals, not just when you clean it after shooting.

boman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 19, 2009
    indianapolis
    I clean after every range trip. May just wipe them down when I get home but never let a gun go for more than a few days. I have seen rust start to form on too many guns to let them go anymore.

Steve

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Giving the gun the proverbal "once over", should be done at regular intervals, not just when you clean it after shooting.

I agree completely, my weapons are fondled and admired on an almost daily basis! I just do a better job before and aftered they're fired, and that's usually no longer than 1 week.

I'm getting away from cleaning my weapons to "barracks standards," but I'd argue that one should at least wipe the crud off to ensure things are as they should be.

standeford

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've found that the more I shoot the less I clean. I generally wipe the outside of guns that are more prone to rust with a rig rag, cheap blued ones mostly, but I skip internal cleaning unless they have a lot of rounds through them or are going to be stored a while.

Unless I'm hunting in bad weather, then I clean thoroughly every time. I think most folks overthink cleaning and lubricating. For range type use in the kind of weather we have here almost anything does the job.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I clean my firearms to suit only me. I'm anal about it. The cleanliness of my firearms is not relevant to anyone else, and the cleanliness of anyone else's firearms, makes no difference to me at all..... other than to occasionally cause me to shake my head in wonder....... to each his/her own......

backtrail540

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    Angola, IN
    I usually clean within the week that i shoot(usually 50-100 rounds per gun) but if i only shoot a low amount then its just some solvent and a little oil in a pretty quick job.

Top Bottom