• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I think that shot placement, weapons control, and situational awareness. Far surpasses how many rounds you carry. I do not care if it's a high cap 9mm, or a single stack 1911. Big calibers do not mean crap if you can not hit your target, nor does a higher amount of a smaller cartridge. So if I'm looking at guns, and lets say gun A holds 14 rounds, and gun B holds 16 rounds. However if gun A feels more comfortable, has features I want, a smoother trigger etc. Then that's what I base my purchase off of. The fact is we are not cops, or military. The chance of us getting if a full out shootout are slim at best. Now if I do go to Indy, I will carry 1 extra mag. Just because I'm a good ways from being home. It kills me when people go OMG this gun holds 20 rounds, I must have it. Instead of lloking at the more importnat aspects of a gun.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    when the zombies come up out of the ground im gonna want all the shots i can get-30 round mags for each pistol:D

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for all the great opinions....my main reason for posting this is recently I have read a lot of posts from newbies asking for advice on guns,and frequently I see a lot of responses suggesting to select gun a over gun b soley on capacity....I just think there better issues to offer as suggestions...

Keep those thoughts coming:yesway:

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Nothing wrong with high capacity, if you DO carry it.
    Personally, I live in a low risk environment, and probably will never even have to draw, much less fire.
    That being the case, as much as I love my high cap Sigs, they do take a little more to hide. A Crossbreed Supertuck and a good belt does do wonders, but it's a little much for driving into Mayberry.
    I'm currently looking for a mousegun with a little better reliability than my Jennings .380. (and I'm not knocking the jennings. I know many of you thinky they're junk, and lord knows they aren't the gold standard, but mine's been pretty good.) I want something I can slip into my pocket, and NOT have an excuse not to be armed.
    Yes, capacity can be important, but as one member says in his Signature line,, better a .32 in the pocket than a 1911 at home in the drawer.
    Anyone wanna get rid of a P3AT or a P32 cheap?

;)

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I resd a story about an off-duty cop, that went to the corner store, with a 5 shot, .38, and encountered 2 perps, while checking out, he threw a milk jug at one, did a double tap at the second, turned and did a double tap, at the guy he threw the milk jug at, went and hid behind the counter, thinking now what do I do.... he later stated that he would carry the 15 shot 9 mm from now on...:twocents:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Even with a single threat, excellent shot placement, good hits, a caliber with a "4" in the front, and ammunition that performs exactly as advertised, no one knows or can predict how many rounds they will need to stop a given threat. It could be any number between zero and when you run out.

I'd rather have "enough" than "not enough." Coming home with some extra boolitz is not a huge problem for me. Failing to come home because I probably need a couple more is a huge problem for me.

I'm not as particular as to the capacity of a single magazine, but all else equal, more is better. If your gun doesn't hold many at one time, you need to carry spare magazines (plural intended) and/or another gun. If your gun holds a lot of rounds, you need to carry spare magazines (plural intended) and/or another gun.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I resd a story about an off-duty cop, that went to the corner store, with a 5 shot, .38, and encountered 2 perps, while checking out, he threw a milk jug at one, did a double tap at the second, turned and did a double tap, at the guy he threw the milk jug at, went and hid behind the counter, thinking now what do I do.... he later stated that he would carry the 15 shot 9 mm from now on...:twocents:

Maybe he shoulda carried a reload or three. What's he going to do when he takes that 15 shot 9mm to the store with no spare mag, fires two, and finds out he's got a bad mag?

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    You are having a bad day if your in a gunfight!!! You are having a really bad day if your in a gunfight with not enough ammo!! :D

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON

If this story is true it makes a good point, he had a 15 shot 9mm and yet he wasn't carrying it? Too heavy or hard to conceal maybe?

Sounds like the .38 did just fine to me.

One tip for the cop while he is hiding behind counter wondering what to do, RELOAD and then kiss your 5 shot .38 that just saved your life while your 15 shot 9mm was at home guarding the safe.:rolleyes:

I realize 15 beats 5 everytime and if the cop knew he was going to be in a gun fight he would have been carrying a high cap gun as would everyone on this site if we only knew when it was going to happen. If you carry a high cap gun ALL the time, then good for you. If you only carry on weekends or nights out you don't need a 15 round gun you need one you carry ALL the time.
    The first rule of a gun fight is to have a gun:D

fwiw I carry a Seecamp .32 EVERYWHERE ALL the time with a bigger gun for backup;) when its convenient.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    I chose caliber before I ever chose a handgun. That was most important to me as the gun is just a launching platform. My wager is placed on the need for the most effective caliber I can manage while other's is placed on more bullets. I can't see more rounds ever being a bad thing and it is certainly a data point worthy of consideration. I would just hesitate to put too much emphasis on it.

Top Bottom