Gumbo file powder, where can I buy locally?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ok INGO foodies, where can I find file powder locally? I've got a pile of leftover smoked chicken that would go nicely in a gumbo with smoked sausage. I've made gumbo without it and it's acceptable but it's just not quite "there" without the file. Anyone found it locally?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The only place I've ever seen anything like that in this vast metropolis I live in, was at Meijer, in the international/specialty cooking aisle. The local one has a pretty good assortment of Cajun type spices.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My first thought would be Trader Joes or one of the "whole, natural" food grocery stores. I know they all have large selection of bulk and packaged spices etc.

Fresh Market in Fishers and Carmel also has a BUNCH of spices etc.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've looked at the two Kroger stores that I frequent and have never found it, guess I'll try again. Thanks for the replies.

BoomstickBuff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Noblesville
    I'm not sure how close you are to Castleton, and I'm not sure that I'd want to be in Castleton the day after Christmas, but there is a spice store there called Penzey's Spices. They have a great assortment of spices, herbs, blends, etc. - and I have bought gumbo file there before. Good luck...

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    Not that its really local for you, but I always have good luck finding it at Tomb Thumb. Try your generic grocery store and the probably will have some in with the rest of the spices

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I would offer you the chance to come out and gather sassafras leaves off the ground but I don't know if they would work for you. Other than that Jungle Jim's in Cincinnati would have it. If you have never been you would love it.

Top Bottom