• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I usually start when I see some signs of the pre rut in the woods. Scrapes, Rubs, etc. Where I hunt, that's usually 3rd week of October or later. As for time of day, no time is better than any other. The smart azz in me says to do it when the bucks are within earshot :)

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Phylodog, I have not either but thought it could hurt as all the bucks seem to have gone away or changed their routes

I have seen rubs for over 3 weeks now but no scraps and there seems to be fresh ones each time I go out.

I was thinking about doing some and I would bet it would be better when there is a buck in earshot.

cschwanz

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've been doing a little bit now, but all light stuff. When the Rut is closer to full swing, Ill get more aggressive. I've grunted in a couple bucks, but never rattled one in to my knowledge. I'll do a little blind calling too, never know when there is one bedded down out of sight who might hear it and come looking

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Right now bucks are showing who is boss and who is going to take a territory as there own. so now is the time to rattle... I wait to start grunting when the bucks are first dog'n does then you will get a buck to come to grunt call to try to take that doe away.... Seeing scrapes and rubs now, so if your wanting to rattle no better time then now and don't be shy about it they are not playing around right now, so don't tickle'm let them know there is a fight for this territory.... Just my 2 cents.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    I have rattled in bucks from about now until the middle of November. Don't give up on it. When it works, it works well, but it is not a 100% fool proof works every time tactic. I would have to say overall, in 25 plus years of doing it, it has worked about 15% of the time I have tried it. I have probably had the best luck with it mid-day or right before dark. However, I am sure that is due in large part to the areas that I hunt.

I have only used a grunt call to turn a deer my direction. I have never called one with a grunt call that I had not already seen moving through the area.

Dirty Steve

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Never had any luck before, but after seeing one fight and broken racks on the cameras last year, I'm going to give it a try.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I have rattled in bucks from about now until the middle of November. Don't give up on it. When it works, it works well, but it is not a 100% fool proof works every time tactic. I would have to say overall, in 25 plus years of doing it, it has worked about 15% of the time I have tried it. I have probably had the best luck with it mid-day or right before dark. However, I am sure that is due in large part to the areas that I hunt.

I have only used a grunt call to turn a deer my direction. I have never called one with a grunt call that I had not already seen moving through the area.

Dirty Steve

I completely agree with this . When your in the woods on the right days it works and you will without a doubt bring something in . A couple years back I was hunting with my son trying to get his first archery buck . In one evening and the following morning we called in 17 bucks total . Mostly smaller immature bucks , but a few shooters . He was able to fill his a tag on a smaller 8 pt .

Two days later I went out to try my luck , couldn't get a damn thing to come in . Which is usually what happens , but it is ALWAYS worth a try this time of year . I usually rattle and grunt lightly and try not to overdue it . Maybe about every 30-45 minutes or if I can see something . If you get their attention and it doesn't work , try something else like a bleat can or snort wheeze . I try not to be to aggressive unless nothing else is working .

Keep working at it . Trail and error kind of thing , but it will work eventually .

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I have never had luck rattling deer in. A few years ago I got to watch 2 mature bucks fight that commotion drew in 2 additional bucks. So I know they respond to it.

infinititech

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    ive never had much success with either method still will give it a shot esp when getting bored or there hasn't been much action ive used several times as deer are walking away and 99 percent aren't even phased

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    I always have better luck rattling then grunting. When you see the signs in the woods that the rut is on. Typically when I rattle I wait at least an hour after I have been in my stand and then rattle every 10-15 minutes. Most of the time I have had good luck drawing something in. I have drawn in some big bucks doing that as well.

gtpilot21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2015
    Noblesville, IN
    I have never had luck rattling deer in. A few years ago I got to watch 2 mature bucks fight that commotion drew in 2 additional bucks. So I know they respond to it.

It is quite a sight seeing two bucks fight. I had this opportunity once and it was something else. I wish I had my camera so I could have recorded it.

Top Bottom