• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armedindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    seeing as soldiers arent "at will" employees really (so they cant say "im doing dangerous work with a bunch of idiots, i quit"), i think that the soldiers who fight on the front lines should be allowed to vote as to whether or not females should be deployed with them...its their neck on the line after all

SeaCaptain49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Home
    From the article above:

"Unlike the ITB course, female Marine officers attempting to enter IOC are not expected to meet the same physical fitness screening standards as male Marines. But they do have to match male performance in the course.

All IOC candidates are pre-screened before they even show up for the course. Like their male counterparts, females need to have a top-level score on the PFT -- but under the Marine Corps female standard, not the male one, which does not require pull-ups."

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    From the article above:

"Unlike the ITB course, female Marine officers attempting to enter IOC are not expected to meet the same physical fitness screening standards as male Marines. But they do have to match male performance in the course.

All IOC candidates are pre-screened before they even show up for the course. Like their male counterparts, females need to have a top-level score on the PFT -- but under the Marine Corps female standard, not the male one, which does not require pull-ups."
    That's a different course from the one these women participated in.

Sgtusmc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    indiana
    I don't want to downplay other Marines trials and tribulations and I can only say this since I AM a Marine. Boot camp was cake. MCT was not bad. ITB was not a problem. Those three training episodes were just giving a taste of what it was going to be like to go to the FMF. Actually, I enjoyed all the training I got to do in the FMF before being sent to Saudi. So what I'm saying is, having a problem with completing lower level training with a simple 12.5 mile "hike" is kinda bottom of the barrel if you ask me.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    So what? We had to drag a guy hiding in the bathroom (he wrapped himself around the toilet ..yuuuccck) to get him on the plane. Does this one very limited sample mean all males are chicken? You cite two example of females' unacceptable behavior as representative of all females? Bull! I had no issues with my female soldiers' performance of their duties.

I never once said this is representative of all women. I gave you my experiences and my opinion. you filled in the rest

SeaCaptain49

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2013
    Home
    That's a different course from the one these women participated in.

Right. So are they saying without reservation that the female candidates who graduated the Infantry course, met the same standards as the men did to qualify for entrance, then met the same standards as the men did once they were in the course.

If they're saying that, then I'm prepared to eat crow. And , it would be a departure from previous military standards for women.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Right. So are they saying without reservation that the female candidates who graduated the Infantry course, met the same standards as the men did to qualify for entrance, then met the same standards as the men did once they were in the course.

If they're saying that, then I'm prepared to eat crow. And , it would be a departure from previous military standards for women.
    Per the article I posted.
    The only potential hurdle remaining, Conner said, is a final Physical Fitness
    Test. To pass it, the women will have to perform pullups as the men do. Starting Jan. 1, pullups will be required for all female Marines conducting
    their annual PFT. That’s a new requirement.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    That doesn't answer the question though. Maybe females have to do 5 pullups and males have to do 15.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Yeah, that I haven't seen clarified anywhere to date. Only stating that "it's being reviewed." :rolleyes:

Minimum acceptable is 3 for men (if I remember correctly.) Of course, if you're not doing more than that then you're probably hating life in the Corps, but it's the posted minimum none the less.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ah, I see what you mean.

Yeah, that I haven't seen clarified anywhere to date. Only stating that "it's being reviewed." :rolleyes:

Minimum acceptable is 3 for men (if I remember correctly.) Of course, if you're not doing more than that then you're probably hating life in the Corps, but it's the posted minimum none the less.

Men only have to be able to do 3 pullups?
    From the Article "To qualify, the females had to pass the same physical screening as male Marines. At a minimum, they had to be able to do three pull-ups, 50 crunches in two minutes and run 3 miles in 28 minutes on the Physical Fitness Test."

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Men only have to be able to do 3 pullups?
    From the Article "To qualify, the females had to pass the same physical screening as male Marines. At a minimum, they had to be able to do three pull-ups, 50 crunches in two minutes and run 3 miles in 28 minutes on the Physical Fitness Test."

Those are the minimum standards for men.

Again, you will not enjoy life if you only meet minimum ESPECIALLY in infantry. You had better start hitting the gym and extra PT until you are beyond the minimum. Especially if you start showing signs of the dunlap disease. :):

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis

Someone get this man a crow.
    It can't be a departure from previous military standards as there were no previous military standards for female marines in ITB. If you have it somewhere that the marines created new standards just for this class of ladies please let us know.

"Ignorance isn't a virtue. Take the initiative and educate yourself."

"
    What I've discovered about people is that unless they take the initiative to educate themselves, they can't be educated."

"
    The only way you'll be educated on this issue is if you take the initiative and do the research yourself."

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    FWIW, neither my wife or myself believe women should be allowed in direct combat roles. Not only is she the most independent and hard nosed woman I've ever met (except for one Sgt. Maj.'s wife I know :n00b:) she can also out pull up any Marine I've known male and female.

There's more to this decision than just physical ability and people don't realize. :twocents:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Take note the distinction too, that many of these articles are confusing because they are referencing two different courses. One is for enlisted infantry Marines, another is specifically for officers to lead infantry. Requirements are different, standards are the same but expectations are higher. Some of these articles I've seen make it really confusing, especially if you don't realize the difference.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    That's just PFT though right? Not ITB
    lol

Physical Fitness Test = PFT
    Infantry Training Batallion = ITB
    Marine Combat Training = MCT

The PFT is a minimum requirement which ALL Marines must pass at least once a year and several times through their introductory training which consists of Basic training and either ITB or MCT.

All Marines are taught the basics of combat and tactics. That is what MCT and ITB are for. MCT is roughly one month long for Marines who won't be on the front line jobs. From there, they go to their MOS school. ITB is roughly two months long and is basically MCT and MOS rolled into one for grunts (infantry.)

The first month of ITB is very similar to the month of MCT with some differences, including a slightly higher physical expectation. The second month of ITB is where the grunts get more in depth training in tactics and such, practice and more one on one coaching from combat experienced NCOs.

Top Bottom