• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Kudos to the Marines who finished the training! 4 out of 15 of the women who applied made it through the training. That must be a tough row to hoe. Boo to the USMC, tho. If these women have completed the training they deserve slots in the proper units, not being relegated to some non-combat position they're over-qualified for now. That's really rather pathetic on the part of the USMC. These four women worked their asses off to complete the grueling training and then get told they'll not get to serve. Shame on the corps.

Group of 4 become first women to complete Marine Corps infantry combat training school  - NY Daily News

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    From what I get is that they opened it to 100 women but only 15 signed up and out of those 15 only 4 passed. I still believe women should not be in a combat unit. I was Motor T and we had women in our unit we had combat missions provided our own security and seen our fair share of combat. We had one woman in the middle of of our convoy getting shot at duck in the turret and not return fire. She was replaced once we got to our destination. We had another who slept through an IED attack and small arms fire and still receive a CAR for it. Sex ran rampant in the unit and the other unit who had females of which we were attached too. I did not participate as I wasn't wanting a disease or worse. Only a few from the above article are cut out to make it through the training yet 4% is still a low number if they had a 100 person pilot.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    From what I get is that they opened it to 100 women but only 15 signed up and out of those 15 only 4 passed. I still believe women should not be in a combat unit. I was Motor T and we had women in our unit we had combat missions provided our own security and seen our fair share of combat. We had one woman in the middle of of our convoy getting shot at duck in the turret and not return fire. She was replaced once we got to our destination. We had another who slept through an IED attack and small arms fire and still receive a CAR for it. Sex ran rampant in the unit and the other unit who had females of which we were attached too. I did not participate as I wasn't wanting a disease or worse. Only a few from the above article are cut out to make it through the training yet 4% is still a low number if they had a 100 person pilot.

4%? You do know your math is way off, right?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The armed services should not be a social experiment. Their job is to kill people, blow stuff up, and win wars in the most effective manner possible (meals-on-wheels and other good will BS aside). The requirements ought to be the requirements for one and all. If women have the physical and psychological proweness it takes, fine. I'm sure in a very large group of people, there probably are a certain percentage that have "it". I hope they passed the same test as the guys and I hope the test for the guys hasn't been watered down to make sure previously unqualified people can now pass it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    26.6%, of women that attempted the course, passed (if using the original figure of 4). To use the "100" figure, when 85 declined to participate is intellectually dishonest. I know word problems can sometimes be difficult, but that one was middle school-ish.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    26.6%, of women that attempted the course, passed (if using the original figure of 4). To use the "100" figure, when 85 declined to participate is intellectually dishonest. I know word problems can sometimes be difficult, but that one was middle school-ish.

You're taking a facile view of this. One would assume that only women who thought they had a realistic chance of passing would actually apply. That number is meaningful only in certain contexts. The most meaningful number to me is what percentage of women in the marines are capable of passing that test. The most meaningful and intellectually honest answer to that question given the data we have, is 4%.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    That "source" is contradictory. Did they, or did they not do the pull ups?
    Not really contradictory as he is raising the question. Why do they announce that 3 females had passed all the requirements, then at nearly the same time announce that women would no longer have to do pull ups?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You're taking a facile view of this. One would assume that only women who thought they had a realistic chance of passing would actually apply. That number is meaningful only in certain contexts. The most meaningful number to me is what percentage of women in the marines are capable of passing that test. The most meaningful and intellectually honest answer to that question given the data we have, is 4%.

You're making a lot of assumptions about those 100 women. We have no idea "how" these women were chosen. Given the strong opposition that civilians have to women in combat, it's realistic to believe that in the military, itself, it's much higher. These women could have possibly wanted to avoid the grief often thrust upon trailblazers (see Tuskeegee Airmen). Or perhaps these women simply did not want a combat role. 90%+ of military jobs are non-combat roles, so even if you do use the erroneous figure of "100," the numbers have more parity than opponents would want to give credit, with a 6/7% margin of error.
    It's EPIC fail to imply that the 85 women who didnt participate, didnt because they couldn't do it.

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    If they have different PT standards then they shouldn't be allowed into an infantry unit.

Top Bottom