• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    A couple of years ago, I restored an old remington Model 12 pump .22 for my dad. One of the issues it had was that it would not eject fired brass. At first, I thought it was just a dirty, or a worn extractor. Upon closer examination, I found that the chamber had been buggered up by dryfiring. I remembered seeing a tool that was supposed to fix this. Looking at Brownell's website, I found this tool:

TOM MENCK : .22 CHAMBER IRONING TOOL - World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools

l_590009022_1.jpg

It's a prety simple took and could probably be made by someone with a lathe. But cost isn't too bad and so I ordered one. It worked great on that old .22 and I hung it up by the reloading bench, figuring I may never use it again.

Well, a few months back I picked up a pre-owned but never fire Kel-Tec SU-22 semi-auto rifle. It was bought by an 18 year old as his first rifle, and about a week later, was returned by his none to happy mother! I shot it some and it shot pretty well, but had some misfires. I assumed it was an ammo thing and there were some it didn't like so I tried various brands. I've shot it at FNS a few times and misfires there are a real pain. Also, after having a misfire, it was hard to clear the round from the chamber. I was talking witha guy last week at work and he said he had an old .22 with a similar problem. It hit me then that my SU-22's chamber could have a burr that I'd not noticed. I just used the tool on it and test fired it with a hundred quick rounds with out a single misfure! I want to do some more testing before taking it back to competition, but I think I may have solved the issue! I'm guessing that the burr was holding some rounds from fully chambering and the fall of the hammer was actually driving them into the burred chamber, making extraction difficult.

The tool is set up so you can use it with the 'shepard's hook' handle for actions where the bore can be reached from behind, like boltguns. It's also got a male threaded end so you can drop it in the chamber and slip a cleaning rod down the bore and screw them together. Then, you just apply some pressure and turn utnil it seems smooth. I did oil it up pretty well just for good measure. I think it's a good tool to have for anyone with a .22. We all know it's not good to dryfire rimfires as the firing pin is often too long, but it still happens. This is cheap insurance to keep a good gun running for a long time.

Doug K

denglazer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Cool little tool,looks like it might be a handy thing to have around. Thanks for the info,I think I'll get one. I purchase older .22's and you never know when the need may arise.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I bought one of these from Midway USA and it just came in. Worked like a charm!

Brownell's says it is out of stock and "Product has been discontinued and no longer available." -- get yours while you can!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    My 22 did extract several spent casings I had while racking the slide in the kitchen, so hopefully it works with real ones.

I've been trying to get to the range to try it, but just can't get away, despite "spring break"!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom