Great Thread on Hog Hunting, but what do you do with the kill?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huzyerdaddy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Just as the title says, Great Thread on Hog Hunting, but what do you do with the kill? Chops, roasts, or has anyone ground up the whole animal into sausage? What are you favorite ways to prepare? Let's see where this goes...:dunno:

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Chops, ribs, roasts, hams, burger, sausage, steaks, etc... Basically any cut you can get from a domestic hog minus the bacon (fat on wild hogs is not desirable).

I did a whole 225lb hog (not in one piece) the Wednesday before last. It fed 45+ Army captains and wives. There was less than 5lbs of ham left at the end of the night.

Here's how I did it:

1. Removed legs (hams/roasts), backstraps, tenderloins, ribs, and other smaller pieces of meat that can be cut off
    2. Put all in salt/sugar water brine for 24+ hrs
    3. Removed from brine, rinsed, trimmed fat from meat
    4. Injected hams with honey, coated with brown sugar, drizzled with more honey, wrapped in bacon, wrapped all in foil
    5. Coated roasts with brown sugar and garlic, wrapped in foil
    6. Seasoned one tenderloin and backstrap with a simple steak seasoning, wrapped in foil
    7. Seasoned the other two with cajun seasoning, wrapped in foil
    8. Marinated all the other small chunks of meat in teriyaki
    9. Seasoned ribs with seasoning salt, wrapped in foil

I put everything in the fridge overnight in pans. As for cooking:

1. Used a very large charcoal roaster at a temperature of 300F ish… (beer was flowing and I was distracted easily)
    2. Kept the hams, roasts, backstraps and tenderloins all wrapped in foil, placed in foil pans with 1-1.5” of water
    3. Put pans on side of grill not directly over coals until internal temp over 165F (cook time was around 5-6hrs)
    4. Cooked ribs directly on grill, coating with bbq sauce
    5. Cut up the smaller pieces with onions and green/red/yellow peppers for kabobs and cooked on grill (over wood)

I wish I would have taken more pictures but I only snapped a couple with my cell phone. I never even saw the ribs after I took them off the grill (I did see a pic of my buddy’s wife devouring a large section, he had me text him a pic of the pig). Everything else was delicious and nobody could believe that it was a wild pig.

kirch86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    it really depends on what you like. The wintertime we tend to do more roasts and summertime we use more ground meat for burgers tacos and such. I would probally do a mix of it all. Get a smoker and start having some fun!!!

wildhare

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Not going to get much if any bacon. They don't have the fat like a domestic. I shot a 250 ish and got alot of ham, sausage, and tenderloin.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not sure if this would work well on a feral hog. but my brother-in-law had a hog roast a few yers ago. He had a very large charcoal grill made from an old home fuel oil tank. Got a good slow charcoal burn going, roasted it for hours, pouring white vinegar over it on regular intervals..best pork I ever had. All the fixins were seperate on the picnic table, including his own homemade barbecue sauce...ummmmmm gooood! Now I'm hungry, gotta find some Bacon!

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    Here's some of the last hog my buddy popped down south. I made some quick work of that greasy guy.

1611.jpg

1560.jpg

0028.jpg

1115.jpg

DThurston

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Shelby County
    OK - it's clear that I'm not qualified to butcher/prep/smoke a hog. I guess if I ever get lucky, I'll have to hit up the neighborhood grill-master. I bet he can be bought with a partial trade of meat.

Thanks for sharing - and I hope more keep em coming.

Top Bottom