• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Next question. It says 120 rounds rapid fire. Are all of those holes from the same gun in the same sitting? Why are the majority of the holes perfect circles when only 25 or so are keyholed? Were the 120 rounds all the same type and manufacturer?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Next question. It says 120 rounds rapid fire. Are all of those holes from the same gun in the same sitting? Why are the majority of the holes perfect circles when only 25 or so are keyholed? Were the 120 rounds all the same type and manufacturer?
    Referencing the explanation by shooter521 earlier I think I can address this with an educated guess. In his explanation he said that the Century guns that used .223 barrel blanks typically had more problems when they got hot. 120 rounds rapid fire will certainly heat up the barrel. So I think what happened was on the last mag, after the barrel was hot, the majority of the rounds key-holed.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Referencing the explanation by shooter521 earlier I think I can address this with an educated guess. In his explanation he said that the Century guns that used .223 barrel blanks typically had more problems when they got hot. 120 rounds rapid fire will certainly heat up the barrel. So I think what happened was on the last mag, after the barrel was hot, the majority of the rounds key-holed.

That makes sense.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I've seen it happen

Ran out of good ammo at the range and happend to have some SS109 in the range bag. My wife tried it in her 1:12 Howa which had been shooting sub 1" groups at 100 yards. The SS109 tumbled so badly she had to move to 25 yards to hit a 2' X 4' carboard. Holes looked just like that. Nothing like a 2' group at 25 yards, eh! :D

Top Bottom