Great Father/Son Day: Fishing/Guns (w/ Pics & Mov's)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    My Great Day

So today was the day to bring my son into the next stage of boyhood and take him up to Martinsville Sportsman's Club and take him fishing and shooting for the very first time. Mom was uncertain about the whole thing ("He's only eight"), but we had a great time.

1. Getting Out To Nature

So the club is great and back onto land that is nicely tucked away and hidden on the side of a wooded hill. We both love trees:

start.jpg

2. First Time Fishing

Anyways, I have to admit I had not fished since I was a kid and was not sure how well it was going to go. But we were loaded up with the basics (thanks to MC Sports) and off to the pond we carried our gear:

ready2fish.jpg

The boy loved the poles and the gear, I was a bit worried about all the algea in the pond:

fishingpirate.jpg

As it turns out, the fish were biting within minutes and while I was fighting with the boy's pole a fish ran off with my bobber and nearly my pole. That and it was two feet long (or maybe less) as the picture can attest:

bluegill.jpg

We did throw another fish back and managed to only hook the boy's shoe once. He was not squeemish in the least when we gutted the fish either. I was worried because he had named the fish ("fishey") but he was adamant that fishey had to die because we had promised his mother a fish dinner (or at least a few mouthfulls).

A small disaster was avoided when we left to get ice to keep our mighty catch cool while we went to the range to shoot.

3. Shooting Time

Now, the range was the part that concerned my wife the most. Her father shoots, and has since before her birth, but he never took her to the range. Her mother has shot once, but is otherwise not very gun friendly. So my wife has no measure for when gun training begins. So, today was day 1 and my goal was to teach him why guns are dangerous before getting him plinking with my childhood daisy pelletgun.

I chose the often suggested "lesson #1" approach to getting the boy's attention and making a mark in his mind. The idea is basically to take a couple of watermelons and show what a firearm will do to them and then correlate the results to him, his cat, his family, etc.

So to the watermelons:

lesson1.jpg

And the shotgun I brought is my mossy 590:

mossydone.jpg

And here is the video link to how it went:

Lesson 1 Video (13 mb Quicktime)

So, he got the point.

Time to cleanup the mess and head over to the pistol range to plink some bottles!

At the pistol range I setup a couple of bottles, went over range and safety rules along with commands, showed him how to load up the pistol and off we went. He missed alot, but we kept at it. I really wanted him to have a success on his first trip, but we were up against a time limit (had to meet another board member for a FTF transaction later in the afternoon).

But we kept at it and had success:

Pellet Gun Video (13 mb Quicktime)

And he felt the success too:

pelletgun.jpg

Well it was time to cleanup our mess and "police the bottles" (no brass with a pelletgun is nice). The boy gave a thumbs-up that we were good to go:

cleanedup.jpg

4. More Father/Son Time

And off to the FTF meet we ran. We actually arrived early and ate a nice pizza lunch at a truckstop followed by video games and other fun. The FTF went great and on the way home I got to reflect on what a great day we had.

He had a great time too. You could see it on his face:

end.jpg

Maybe I will even get the hat back some day!

What a great day. One to remember.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    That is good stuff! Your son looks like he had a great afternoon and you must be a proud Dad! My son is 7 so hopefully in the next year or so I can have the same experience. I'm looking forward to it!

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    What a great post!

I really liked the explaination with the watermelons. It sure hit home! I can't wait until my son is old enough now (he's 2). What a great day!

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Awesome! Great post, really enjoyed it :thumbsup: Always good to see passing shooting on to kids.

Car looks familiar too :pffftt:

baldmax

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    North Liberty
    It looks like he had a great time. I bet you did, too.

Can't wait to get my boy out to the range, he is 6. Maybe in another year.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Minor update: Wife's Breakfast

So, my wife awoke this morning to a fish "feast" :lol:

food1.jpg

Let's say she was a little "apprehensive" but knew our son got the fish for her. So breakfast time it was.

food2.jpg

It got eaten. And no one keeled over. Actually, the only mistake was over-marinating the fish at her request. Next time will be better.

Top Bottom