• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    thursday i had a busy day and over all it turned out to be pretty awesome. btw i was OC through this whole day!

it started out, i had to run to my bank (centra) and get a money order. it was pretty busy in there (prolly waited 20 mins) i was standing in line and not one person said anything to me. i was expecting someone to say something or give me a look. not that i was trying to draw attention to myself or push my luck. when i got to bank tellar she gave my money order and noticed my gun she smiled and asked if i was in law enforcement. i proceeded to tell her that its everyones right to have/carry a hand gun and how to give a license to do so. next i go to uncle bills on the east side of indy to get some store credit on some fish i couldnt keep anymore. while i was waiting for help a store employee asked me what kinda gun i had (xd40) i told him and he told me he carries a beretta 9mm. we talked for a little bit about guns while transferring my fish into one of their tanks. got my store credit and left. on my way home my ole lady called and asked me to pick up some food from the store. got to the store and was checking out and the cashier asked me if i had to pay extra to OC. i told her in indiana that theres no law stating you cant OC and that i always do. she then told me that she has had her LTCH and always CC because she didnt know it was legal to OC. which i thought was very odd. after that i ran to the gas station before i went home to get a polar pop and gas and hear a man say is that an xd and i said yes. he then told me he loves his springfield xd9 and swears by it.

after a whole day of OC i figured i would of ran into someone who would of tried to give me a hard time about OC but all the situations i came accross turned out to be great. i was pretty shocked when i got home that i had so many comments about my gun and them all turn out to be a good conversation. i just wish more people would be more open and less nervous about people that OC. i felt good about myself giving people information about OC and there right to carry their own gun. :D

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've been OCing for a year and a half, and you know how many negative interactions I have had? Zero.

Positive interactions? Can't even count them. Most of them are small, an idle comment or a 2 or 3 line conversation, but they're positive all the time.

You'll find that most people who would be against you carrying, are suffering from rectal-cranial inversion, (I believe that's how its spelled,) and will never actually notice your gun unless you jump up on the table and dance around in front of them.

The people that do see it and notice are usually the people that don't mind or support it. There are exceptions, I'm sure, but overall my impression has been nearly unanimously positive.

Thank you for OCing, and for improving the opinion of gun owners everywhere. Carry on.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I've been OCing for about a year now, and I've had a couple negative interactions, but overwhelmingly good ones. Had a guy tell me once that I couldn't do that. That I had to conceal, that I would get arrested for brandishing. I told him what IN state law says about that, and he ended up learning something.

Anyway, yeah, most people don't say anything, the people who do will say something nice, and most cops don't say anything, they just nod and smile.

I case anyone who is considering OC was wonderin'...

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    Only been OCing for like a month now and the worst reaction I've ever got was a weird look here and there. Had a couple of chances to do some educating on Indiana's carry laws and LTCH as well as what I carry and general gun talk.

Cheeseburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    got to the store and was checking out and the cashier asked me if i had to pay extra to OC. i told her in indiana that theres no law stating you cant OC and that i always do. she then told me that she has had her LTCH and always CC because she didnt know it was legal to OC. which i thought was very odd. :D

A few years ago I took a gun safety class at a local gun store. The DNR officer who gave the class went to great length to say that Indiana was conceal carry only and that it was gun store lore that people thought they could open carry. He told a story of how he had someone's LTCH revoked for OC in his presence and arguing the point with him.

I wrote the DNR for clarification and their officer was incorrect. Most people will not investigate for themselves.

On a similar note, trucking companies will tell you it's illegal to carry a firearm in a commercial motor vehicle as it makes their company policy simpler to enforce. A letter to the Indiana State Police to follow up my research proves the law does not differentiate between a personal vehicle and a commercial motor vehicle.

You have to do your own homework...

Top Bottom