• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm going to be ready to buy quite a bit of gravel to lay in and around our barn. I've managed to buy the wrong stuff in the past and understanding the various options has eluded me so I come to INGO once again for wisdom and knowledge.

Most of this gravel is going down on top pf areas which have either been gravel previously or have been heavily trampled for decades. What I'm hoping to find is something that isn't a nightmare to level and will compact and get as firm as possible. I've love to have concrete but it ain't in the budget. I saw a triaxle of 53's brought in as base for a concrete project recently and as I was looking at it I though it would obviously pack down nicely but with the variety of stone sizes I'm not sure if that's what I'm after or not.

Any advice appreciated

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    You will get more answers then you need, but I will say recycled ground concrete or recycled asphalt roadway if you can get either one is great stuff.

I’ll leave the sizes to others.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I use the #8 washed. It doesn’t have the powder in it. Much less dust when driven on. We have a 1200 foot driveway so that matters. Had recycled concrete and it tends to break down over time, as does the recycled pavement. But the price on those are usually attractive compared to the pure stone. I have also used both of those in the past.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    5 years ago I dropped 22 ton of #4 stone from U.S. Aggregate on 400 ft of clay lane with no prep work or geotextile. It has held up very well. We are just now thinking about stirring it to knock off the center crown. It does not get a lot of traffic.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    You will get more answers then you need, but I will say recycled ground concrete or recycled asphalt roadway if you can get either one is great stuff.

I’ll leave the sizes to others.
    Double milled, recycled asphalt is the only way to go. If spread 3-4" deep it will set up in the summer sun and harden up. It doesn't spread and pump into the ground like gravel or bank run thats so often used in driveways.
    We have it on the farm and after we spread it my brother borrowed a asphalt roller and that winter he used a snow plow on it, its like plowing the state road.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Double milled, recycled asphalt is the only way to go. If spread 3-4" deep it will set up in the summer sun and harden up. It doesn't spread and pump into the ground like gravel or bank run thats so often used in driveways.
    We have it on the farm and after we spread it my brother borrowed an asphalt roller and that winter he used a snow plow on it, its like plowing the state road.
    The concrete and asphalt have similar end results, for different reasons. But if you DO use recycled concrete and then hit it with some moisture before using a vibratory rolling compactor it will do a great job. I myself prefer the asphalt, only because when they mill the roadway they also get the binder that tied it to the sub surface first layer. That is very helpful.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    When I had a large pad done for parking beside my my house, I believe I used 53s with fines as recommended by the company that did it.

Since they couldn't get a tri-ax into my yard, they shot it in from my nextdoor neighbor's driveway, which was pretty cool to watch.
    Adding fines is a smart call. Time and moisture will make it very hard.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A friend used the larger concrete as a base for his driveway but the place he got it from obviously did not have a working magnet. He was still getting the occasional flat tire years later from the reinforcing wire that was mixed in

Same problem we had at the old job when management decided to use that stuff in the new parking lot. Lots of flats at first, then they had to cover it with a deep layer of conventional gravel but there were still flats every month.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I did a parking spot for my trailer next to the garage. I used 7's. Ran a plate tamper over it several times and so far it's holding up great.

7's don't have as many fines, but I'm okay with it. 53's probably would have been better but it wouldn't have looked as good. :)

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My brother and I share a driveway that is about 1200ft long. We put down a base of 73's on bare dirt about 5 years ago when I built, and it is holding up great. The 73's packed down really well. I personally think you want the dust from 73 or 53s for your base layer, it helps for a really solid layer. Then ad 7's or 5's after that.

Mij

Permaplinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A friend used the larger concrete as a base for his driveway but the place he got it from obviously did not have a working magnet. He was still getting the occasional flat tire years later from the reinforcing wire that was mixed in
    Must have been a pretty disreputable company that would have sold anyone recycle with stranded wire in it if they knew it was for a driving surface.

Most if not all good outfits only use hi-way or prestressed vertical slab concrete that used rebar, that material is broken up on site and the bar and concrete is separated also on site. The bar goes to the salvage yard, the concrete, back to the crusher.

But that’s just my experience, others I’m sure have had less desirable experiences.

clayshooter99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    You asked about gravel.....gravel are rocks and not stone! Crushed stone is limestone that has been crushed. Gravel can be used but will not pack near as tight over time.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Use some geotextile fabric underneath, it will help with longevity and drainage. Asphalt millings would be a good option, but slag or limestone would be my choice.

I used recycled concrete on my driveway (1/4 mile).

Pros:
    Works easily
    Cheap
    Looks like limestone

Cons:
    Dusty
    lots of metal in it
    eventually it breaks down to its base components of sand and aggregate

Top Bottom