• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    id slap my granddaughter and then go slap my daughter for letting her get that way. prolly slap my wife too for letting my daughter let her daughter get that way.

That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are! :hehe:

Sad story though. Pathetic how PC things have become....:noway:

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    You're right. She is after all an adult. She should not have been slapped. What Granny should have done was to have punched the little "b-word" right in the face.

Some people have no respect. Those that don't should learn it quickly and painfully. Had she been my daughter...Granny wouldn't be in this boat. I'd have done it for her. There is no kid going to stand there and curse one of my parents. Or me for that matter.

And BTW...adulthood is measured by many things. Age is merely one of the factors.

There's using pain to teach a lesson, like spanking, and then there's attempting to harm someone, like punching. If you're trying to teach a kid a lesson they won't take from a stern voice, a spanking is appropriate, so that they'll learn. But retribution for an insult? That's just wrong. If you do this, you're teaching the person that you think violence as a method of retribution is okay.

Sounds like you didn't get your butt whipped often enough :rolleyes:

Our roles being reversed, I would have come to the conclusion that the other had been whipped too much. That being said, I don't think I was whipped very much, and I said said above, whipping a child is very different from slapping an adult.

Unfortunately sometimes controlled violence is the only language some people understand. I am not condoning outright beating someone down but have seen a few people only respond to a smack on the backside when no amount of words would have an affect on them.

It might be the only way to get the message across to a small child, but a woman of 18 knows what she did and that people don't approve. Other methods of punishment should be used.

Sorry but you're not an adult if you're okay with swearing to a 73 year old woman, let alone your grandma. You're no more better than the little kid screaming and yelling in a store for not getting his toy.

(and I don't mean you're as in you, Tuoder. Just in general)

Of course I know you're not accusing me of doing such a thing or thinking it's okay. When my grandmother was around (I only knew one), I don't think I would have sworn in the same zip code as her.

But stupid adults who haven't learned childhood lessons are nonetheless stupid adults. It's too late to teach an 18 year old with a spanking or a slap. The only purpose that could serve is retribution, and violent retribution is precisely what is outlawed rightly by the laws on battery.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    When I was little, my parents told me, "It's better for us to make you cry now, than for you to make us cry, later." I follow that same principal. I don't abuse my children, but I spanked them when they were small and my daughter grew out of spankings. My son still gets spankings, but very rarely.

Some parents don't discipline their children and then have others care for them and they believe they can do what they please. I HATE going into Walmart and see six a year olds tell his mom to "bite me." It makes me even sicker to see the kids acting like fools and the mother trying to keep them together, while dad ignores what's going on.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    It's too late to teach an 18 year old with a spanking or a slap. The only purpose that could serve is retribution, and violent retribution is precisely what is outlawed rightly by the laws on battery.
    I disagree with this completely. retribution is not the only motivation. My guess is that the grandmother was hoping against hope to make up for the apparent years of obvious non-discipline by starting now. A slap on the face from one of my elders, even when I was 21, would be taken for what it was intended ........a life lesson. A solid slap from an elderly woman, to an adult child, is only humiliating, nothing more.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    I disagree with this completely. retribution is not the only motivation. My guess is that the grandmother was hoping against hope to make up for the apparent years of obvious non-discipline by starting now. A slap on the face from one of my elders, even when I was 21, would be taken for what it was intended ........a life lesson. A solid slap from an elderly woman, to an adult child, is only humiliating, nothing more.

A spanking, administered properly, hurts the giver as much as the receiver. It does not make you feel better. I think she hit her to humiliate her, too, I think hitting someone for what they say is unnecessarily escalating the situation into violence. If it teaches any lesson, which I'm not sure it does, it teaches that violence is an acceptable reaction to words, and it isn't.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm 18, and I know if I talked to my grandmother like that, I'd get a butt-whoopin. my other one would probably have a heart attack on the spot...

and who the hell doesn't have the respect of elders enough to punch an old lady whose wrists you are in control of?

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    There's using pain to teach a lesson, like spanking, and then there's attempting to harm someone, like punching. If you're trying to teach a kid a lesson they won't take from a stern voice, a spanking is appropriate, so that they'll learn. But retribution for an insult? That's just wrong. If you do this, you're teaching the person that you think violence as a method of retribution is okay.
    She's 18. She's too old to spank. (Calm down pervs...that's something all together different.) The respect value should already have been learned. Apparently she failed.

The next life lesson? Disrespect will get you back-handed across the mouth. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Should Granny have done it? Probably not. Should she have been allowed to? By all means, yes.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    If it teaches any lesson, which I'm not sure it does, it teaches that violence is an acceptable reaction to words, and it isn't.
    Funny... slaps on the face taught me how to behave. And no, I don't react to words with violence and never have. Neither have any of my siblings,or my daughter. Seems that there are already too many statistical outliers to that theory.:)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    You're right. She is after all an adult. She should not have been slapped. What Granny should have done was to have punched the little "b-word" right in the face.

Some people have no respect. Those that don't should learn it quickly and painfully. Had she been my daughter...Granny wouldn't be in this boat. I'd have done it for her. There is no kid going to stand there and curse one of my parents. Or me for that matter.

And BTW...adulthood is measured by many things. Age is merely one of the factors.

"See that? Give somebody a rap on the beezer, get some respect around here." -Tombstone

TheCapulet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Rural Fairmount
    A spanking, administered properly, hurts the giver as much as the receiver. It does not make you feel better. I think she hit her to humiliate her, too, I think hitting someone for what they say is unnecessarily escalating the situation into violence. If it teaches any lesson, which I'm not sure it does, it teaches that violence is an acceptable reaction to words, and it isn't.

Tuoder, I understand where you're coming from with this. I really do. But the concept at this point is out of control.

Sure, there is something wrong with violence, in certain circumstances. But in some situations, it's the only pacifier.

This 70 odd year old woman grew up in a time when if she had been in the girls place, she would have had the same treatment, and likely a few more times afterwards for good measure, right before weeks of work to make up for it.

But the 18 year old girl grew up in a time where people think they can get away with saying and doing almost anything they please, simply because the consequences are more than bearable. She curses her grandma out, and what, she's told to get the hell out? Perfect, she just got the reaction she was hoping for. But instead, she was taught that it's not ok to curse out your grandparents because her grandma was very quick to show her there are consequences to every thing we say and do, and sometimes those consequences are a little less bearable than we came to believe.

But instead of ending it there, and everyone coming out of the situation on the right foot, the police decided they should reinforce her pure jackassary by arresting a 70 year old woman for disciplining her grand daughter?

There's no way around it, it's just plain stupid. The grandmother was in the right, the grand daughter was in the wrong, and the police need to pull their heads out of their ... Well..

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Once the "child" turns 18, you don't hit them. Instead, you tell them to get out of _your_ home. If they refuse, you are the one calling the cops and having them locked up for trespassing if they continue to refuse. It matters not where they go, or what they do. Force them to finally grow-up. Doing this forces them to start cold calling friends and family. Let the ungrateful be a problem for someone else. Eventually, they will keep getting kicked out of places they are staying, they will either wise up, or end up at a shelter. The only other option I would have would be to offer them a ride to the nearest homeless shelter, or Section 8 housing complex. Let them see what their future holds if they don't act like a proper person.

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    Once the "child" turns 18, you don't hit them. Instead, you tell them to get out of _your_ home. If they refuse, you are the one calling the cops and having them locked up for trespassing if they continue to refuse. It matters not where they go, or what they do. Force them to finally grow-up. Doing this forces them to start cold calling friends and family. Let the ungrateful be a problem for someone else. Eventually, they will keep getting kicked out of places they are staying, they will either wise up, or end up at a shelter. The only other option I would have would be to offer them a ride to the nearest homeless shelter, or Section 8 housing complex. Let them see what their future holds if they don't act like a proper person.
    I am not trying to start anything here. But do you really want something like this to turn into a nanny state issue? Not me I dont think grandma should have been thrown in jail I think the kid got what she had coming to her. And should probably should have got it sooner in life. Sorry. Government has gotten its meat hooks into a matter that should have been taken care of when the child was a child. Wash the kids mouth out with soap dust her britches and stand her in the corner. And quit wasting taxpayer dollars.Sorry. End of rant.jmho

Last edited:

libertybear

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Morristown

Something like this would have actually worked. You cut off the support and after a while she would realise that she needs her family and better respect them. This woman probably is not responsible enough to make it on her own yet. instead we have two wrongs and an 18 year old that now thinks she is right. (If I was the cop she would have went to jail though there could not have been any visible marks by the time they arrived)

It's my belief that if your old enough to die for your country then you are definitely passed spankings, slapping and your mouth being washed out with soap and all of the other different methods of "raising a child" because you are no longer a child. At this point you must move on to "correcting an adult" it basically accomplishes the same thing but it is applied differently.

bigg cheese

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    A slap in the face never hurt anyone... well, except for Michael Jackson :)....

Seriously though, if you not only can't take a slap from an elder who is obviously the weaker of the two, you're a wuss.

Do you start shooting your gun because you can't catch the wasp that stung you?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The grandparents are now, according to the story, not speaking to the granddaughter. Tuodor, if the granddaughter wants to be treated as an adult, she needs to bloody well act like one. You're correct that to condone striking a grown person (that is, a chronological "adult") for this is inappropriate, but conversely, more inappropriate in my mind is the idiotic zero-tolerance law that made the arrest a requirement. This little girl in an adult body needed her backside torn up with a paddle a few times when she was younger; she needed to know that certain words taste like soap. (Lava, BTW, is particularly nasty. Don't ask me how I know.)

She needs some hard lessons in respect, and she just may be getting them. I would wonder if she also was arrested under the same DV law, considering that she also struck a family member and likely left a mark?

Bigg cheese, I disagree on one small point of your post: You shouldn't have to "take" the slap... But you da*n sure should not be returning it. I take no issue with the grown granddaughter stopping herself from being a target, but hitting back went too far in this situation. (Note that I don't call her an adult.)

Adulthood is only measured chronologically in the eyes of the law. Reality is much less forgiving.

Blessings,
    Bill

thej27

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    With an attitude the granddaughter has already I am guessing there is a good chance she will get into a fight at a bar/club ect from running her mouth when she is past 21 expecting to get away with it. Of course it will probably happen somewhere else before she is 21.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts

This isn't about WORDS vs violence. It's about lack of respect.

Top Bottom