• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Please allow me to revive an old thread. I am currently involved in training our guardsmen. Rest assured that the NRA presentations are merely a gateway to more appropriate training. After my conversation with the state J3 and the Indiana National Guard Association, I feel much better about my involvement and the potential outcome for our state troops.
    To those that suggest that the current course of action is appropriate, you are correct. Crawl, walk, run. If you have any military training then you know this is how ALL topics are introduced.
    To those that suggest a more ninja/tactical tommy approach, we will be getting closer than has been previously discussed. I can't get into details, but those in charge of the program have a very realistic view of the task at hand and the politics involved.

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    Please allow me to revive an old thread. I am currently involved in training our guardsmen. Rest assured that the NRA presentations are merely a gateway to more appropriate training. After my conversation with the state J3 and the Indiana National Guard Association, I feel much better about my involvement and the potential outcome for our state troops.
    To those that suggest that the current course of action is appropriate, you are correct. Crawl, walk, run. If you have any military training then you know this is how ALL topics are introduced.
    To those that suggest a more ninja/tactical tommy approach, we will be getting closer than has been previously discussed. I can't get into details, but those in charge of the program have a very realistic view of the task at hand and the politics involved.

I am curious to know what kind of training you are providing. Being a guard member and going through the required training myself I wonder if it differs in anyway. I can say that the training I went through was very good and beneficial. Also curious about your conversations with the J3 and NGAI or Indiana national guard association as you put it, not sure if you are talking about the national guard or the NGAI. There is a policy put in place by the AG and has been since the executive order was published. I agree that those in charge at state level have a very realistic view of the task at hand.

Also to those that are preaching advanced handgun training for guard members I feel are a little of base. How many people in the state of Indiana were required to have training before they got their LTCH? Most of you already know, but I'll tell you anyways... zero.. there is no training requirement for someone to carry a hangun in Indiana.. so why should it be any different for the guardsmen? I totally agree that training is important and I see where you come from but it seems that a lot of people are thinking just cause they are guardsmen or "nastygirls" they should have more rigorous training than any other civilian allowed to carry.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am not sure that advanced training has been anything I have advocated. I think the training should involve drawing from the holster and involve some marksmanship practice and training that the NRA Basic Pistol course does not provide. If this has to start at a crawl then that is what it must do. My frustration is that the Executive Order was the correct thing. I do not agree with training being required for anyone, but if it is going to be required then it should be more appropriate than NRA Basic.

My daughters boyfriend attended basic training for the National Guard this past summer. He did not touch a pistol. That blows my mind. But with this knowledge perhaps NRA Basic Pistol is the place to begin. That also blows my mind. Even if pistols are not touched at Basic for most people gun handling should be.

To all Guardsman thanks for your service. To the NRA instructors providing this training for free. Thank you as well.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I totally agree that training is important and I see where you come from but it seems that a lot of people are thinking just cause they are guardsmen or "nastygirls" they should have more rigorous training than any other civilian allowed to carry.

I'm at a loss to understand why you are arguing against this training. It is valuable and being provided for free. Do you really need to spit on the trainers? As for "more rigorous", NGs can carry on their own time the same as anyone else, with or without training. However, on NG time, there is no reason to argue against them getting as much training as possible. Many of us civilians have had far more training than these folks have had so far. It is worthwhile and makes you better able to handle situations than you would be without that knowledge.

ron8924

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    SouthWest IN
    I'm at a loss to understand why you are arguing against this training. It is valuable and being provided for free. Do you really need to spit on the trainers? As for "more rigorous", NGs can carry on their own time the same as anyone else, with or without training. However, on NG time, there is no reason to argue against them getting training.

I am not arguing against the training or "spitting" on it. As I stated I went thru the training and it was very good. The training I received we had abut 6 hours of range time that started with the basics and became more advanced as people were showing proficiency. My argument is that it seemed there were thoughts from people that the guardsmen should have some additional training than anyone else that can get a LTCH.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am not arguing against the training or "spitting" on it. As I stated I went thru the training and it was very good. The training I received we had abut 6 hours of range time that started with the basics and became more advanced as people were showing proficiency. My argument is that it seemed there were thoughts from people that the guardsmen should have some additional training than anyone else that can get a LTCH.

Six hours of range time is not NRA Basic. What was this training? It does sound appropriate.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I am not arguing against the training

My argument is that it seemed there were thoughts from people that the guardsmen should have some additional training than anyone else that can get a LTCH.

You can't seem to put together a simple paragraph without contradicting yourself. You are indeed arguing against the training.

Top Bottom