• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Was gonna have a day off and decided to go to Atterbury for a little Groundhog Huntin. Called the Office there to ask a question and then I told her i would be down there on Tuesday hunt groundhogs.
    She says "hunt what" and I said Groundhogs! She tells me that there isn't any hunting season in right now. I told her that unless things have changed,Grounhogs can be taken year round with no bag limit. She then says Im wrong and to wait a minute for her to call someone.
    So then she calls on another phone a CO and ask's him about it and he tells her that Groundhogs are able to be hunted year round.

So most of you are thinking Wow! this is whats running the FWA Right!:dunno:
    As Paul Harvey would say"And Now The rest of the story"

So then the CO tells her"BUT THEY MUST BE TAKEN WITH BOW AT ATTERBURY" Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!

I was speechless,I said why is it restricted to Bows? She said IDK they make the Rules. I said there is nothing that states that in the Atterbury rules or the DNR hunting rules. Then she says"I can have him give you call if you like" I said yes and have him call as soon as possible. He never called!! I tried to call the south region
    DNR Enforcement office and they didn't answer.

So what do you think guys??? :): :laugh:

rotortech

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Well, the DNR rules about woodchucks says:
    Shooting, where legal, can also be an effective method or reducing or maintaining a low population of woodchucks. Woodchucks can be captured or killed year-round without a permit or hunting or trapping license from the DNR, and there are no limits to the number that can be taken.

However, buried on page 5 of the small game hunting rules is the paragraph that mentions additional rules and limitations on Federal and State lands. I suppose that depending upon the land use and how it is being managed you just have to ask and accept the answer given. Now if they can only make up their minds about what the policy on hunting groundhogs at Atterbury is . . .

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Well then I guess that means that if they say you can't hunt rabbit with nothing bigger than a 410 then thats the rule!! I'm not done with this yet. IL call the head of the Enforcement Division for a ruling

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd ask politley for the info in writing, should the person you talked to be on vacation or something when somebody else later has similar questions.

If you can post the link to the ruling that'd be great. Could be a sticky eventually.

Not any form of complaint, just a want to know so as to be within the rules :)

It's their ground, their rules, have zero issue with whatever the rules say.

Nightsniper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2012
    Today I contacted the Property Manager at Atterbury FWA about this topic. He said that Hunting Ground Hogs at the FWA "Is Not Allowed" because the Ground Hog is a key in the improvement of Wildlife Habitat on the property(Dens/Holes),and that because of small numbers of them at the property because of Coyotes and loss of habitat that they not be Hunted. IIRC that this is at all Indiana FWAs. I asked him to send me the information below so that I could post this for any interested parties. I for one think his explanation is what was needed in the first place. :)

Jeff,

We don’t issue a permit for the reasons I mentioned. Thank you for your suggestion.

312 IAC 8-2-3 Firearms, hunting, and trapping Version b

Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1; IC 14-22-2-6

Affected: IC 14-22-11-1; IC 35-47-2

NOTE: This version of section effective January 1, 2013. See also preceding version of section, effective until January 1, 2013.

Sec. 3. (a) A person must not possess a firearm or bow and arrows on a DNR property unless one (1) of the following

conditions apply:

(1) The firearm or bow and arrows are:

(A) unloaded and unnocked; and

(B) placed in a case or locked within a vehicle.

(2) The firearm or bow and arrows are possessed at, and of a type designated for usage on:

(A) a rifle;

(B) a pistol;

(C) a shotgun; or

(D) an archery;

range.

(3) The firearm or bow and arrows are being used in the lawful pursuit of either of the following:

(A) A wild animal on a DNR property authorized for that purpose.

(B) A groundhog as authorized under a license.

312 IAC 8-1.5-13 "License" defined

Authority: IC 14-10-2-4; IC 14-11-2-1

Affected: IC 14

Sec. 13. (a) "License" means:

(1) a license;

(2) a permit;

(3) an agreement;

Cary Schuyler

Property Manager

Last edited:
    Top Bottom