• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    We are all on some form of government assistance you know.
    Did you tax the interest mortage deduction on your taxes?
    Higher education tax credit?
    etc...

Jedi has a valid point, I know many of you view it as getting to keep you own money but by law you OWE that money and file exemptions to get credits BACK.

So yes, you (and I) are on government aid.

Sure you can try and justify it because you pay in more than you get back (as do I) but it's no different than the welfare recipient claiming they pay taxes too when they buy their new PS3 or Spinners for their new ride.

That is just one reason why I keep saying we need to abolish all personal federal taxes (as a start).

Think about it, ELIMINATE the personal federal income tax and do NOT replace it with any thing.

You get keep all your money and those who don't pay anything don't take my money as a "refund". Win-Win.

The income tax is THEFT. It is wealth redistribution.

Anyone who tells you any different is a fool or on the take.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I need to find another company. AT&T charges me $54 a month for a phone I can't even find!

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    You do not need to have your landline online to call 911. That is a service that as long as the wires are hooked up, it will work. I know when I was with our local police dept, we would get "911 calls" from houses that hadnt had a landline in over a year (these calls were during bad storms too, Im assuming the lines were getting wet/crossed).

I will try to look around a bit to see if I can find more on the phones working with 911 and no active service.

-Mcolford

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Jedi has a valid point, I know many of you view it as getting to keep you own money but by law you OWE that money and file exemptions to get credits BACK.

So yes, you (and I) are on government aid.

Sure you can try and justify it because you pay in more than you get back (as do I) but it's no different than the welfare recipient claiming they pay taxes too when they buy their new PS3 or Spinners for their new ride.

That is just one reason why I keep saying we need to abolish all personal federal taxes (as a start).

Think about it, ELIMINATE the personal federal income tax and do NOT replace it with any thing.

You get keep all your money and those who don't pay anything don't take my money as a "refund". Win-Win.

The income tax is THEFT. It is wealth redistribution.

Anyone who tells you any different is a fool or on the take.

What do you mean "get back"? I only pay, I never get back anything.

Are you trying to argue that anyone who pays a lower rate than someone else is on assistance?

Also, you can not seperate one section of the tax law from another. All deductions and credits are lawful. So, BY LAW, I only owe the government on my net taxable income minus any credits.

Since we're on a progressive income tax scale, is the top bracket, the only group of people off assistance, and only if they don't take any deductions or credits? Wouldn't that make 100% of the population on "government assistance"?

Regardless, reductions in government "revenue" can never be considered a cost to government and thus aid to the electorate. It flies in the face of all logic.

Once again, is it a cost to my household, if I don't steal from my neighbor? If not, then it is not a cost to government if they don't steal from me.

I agree on all the rest. We do need to move away from income based taxes to consumption based taxes.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington

Are you trying to argue that anyone who pays a lower rate than someone else is on assistance?

Also, you can not seperate one section of the tax law from another. All deductions and credits are lawful. So, BY LAW, I only owe the government on my net taxable income minus any credits.

Since we're on a progressive income tax scale, is the top bracket, the only group of people off assistance, and only if they don't take any deductions or credits? Wouldn't that make 100% of the population on "government assistance"?

Regardless, reductions in government "revenue" can never be considered a cost to government and thus aid to the electorate. It flies in the face of all logic.

Once again, is it a cost to my household, if I don't steal from my neighbor? If not, then it is not a cost to government if they don't steal from me.

I agree on all the rest. We do need to move away from income based taxes to consumption based taxes.

Preach it brother!

The primary group/entity on "public assistance" is the government. The government creates no products nor does it generate income, aside from taking it from producers, i.e., the public. Most of the so-called services government provides are dependence programs.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana

Pretty much. Look at the laws and the way you calculate deductions. It's the same way someone who paid in $1,000 over the course of the year and gets a "refund" of $5,000 because of the exact same deductions and credits. The fact you and I still pay in more than we get back is irrelevant when it completely breaks down. We are taking from those in income bracket above us, just like those below us are taking from us.

It's classic class warfare and a distraction because the enemy isn't the welfare whores, it's the government steal OUR money and enabling those people.

On a federal level I do NOT advocate a consumption tax. It would be no different than what we have today. THEFT. Wealth redistribution.

The federal government will continue to take that money and redistribute it via subsidized housing, utility subsidies and federal aid to state welfare programs.

A flat tax will only exacerbate the problem, not solve anything.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Pretty much. Look at the laws and the way you calculate deductions. It's the same way someone who paid in $1,000 over the course of the year and gets a "refund" of $5,000 because of the exact same deductions and credits. The fact you and I still pay in more than we get back is irrelevant when it completely breaks down. We are taking from those in income bracket above us, just like those below us are taking from us.

It's classic class warfare and a distraction because the enemy isn't the welfare whores, it's the government steal OUR money and enabling those people.

On a federal level I do NOT advocate a consumption tax. It would be no different than what we have today. THEFT. Wealth redistribution.

The federal government will continue to take that money and redistribute it via subsidized housing, utility subsidies and federal aid to state welfare programs.

A flat tax will only exacerbate the problem, not solve anything.

I'm sorry, but that is complete and utter twaddle.

You can't get a return larger than your amount owed, unless you claim the EIC, or are just cheating.

I'm NOT taking money from anyone because I pay less takes than them. 2 people can make the same salary, and one can have more deductions than the other through charitable giving. Does that mean the charitable person is stealing from the less charitable person?

In order for me to take anything I would have to receive something.

How do you propose the Federal Government Levy taxes?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    ...Home Mortgage Interest Deduction & the Child Tax Credit aren't redistributive. SS for retirement and Medicare aren't supposed to be, but because of mismanagement, they are. If you don't like those, fine, work to change them. But to lump them in with Medicaid, Subsidized Housing, Food Stamps, etc... is disingenuous at best.

Agreed.

But honestly I think we should END the home mortgage interest deduction, the child tax credit, etc.

What is the point of these? These are some form of social engineering by our government. For some reason they want us to buy a house so they graciously let us keep some of our tax dollars. For some reason they want us to have kids (seems like a mixed message because I'm not really sure they do based on many other actions) so we get to keep some of our own money.

Better thing would be they end all the gimmicks in the tax code, lower the overall rate, and let us keep a higher % of our own money. How is it different if I get to keep a bigger % of my paycheck each week or if I get a discount off my end of year tax bill? Seems to me the result is the same. I keep more of my own money.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Agreed.

But honestly I think we should END the home mortgage interest deduction, the child tax credit, etc.

What is the point of these? These are some form of social engineering by our government. For some reason they want us to buy a house so they graciously let us keep some of our tax dollars. For some reason they want us to have kids (seems like a mixed message because I'm not really sure they do based on many other actions) so we get to keep some of our own money.

Better thing would be they end all the gimmicks in the tax code, lower the overall rate, and let us keep a higher % of our own money. How is it different if I get to keep a bigger % of my paycheck each week or if I get a discount off my end of year tax bill? Seems to me the result is the same. I keep more of my own money.

We're on the same page. Our current tax code is the result of politicians rewarding special interests and lobbying groups. I'd love to see it scrapped via constitutional repeal and the Fair Tax implemented. The only downside is that gov't component required for the prebate check, but thats a drop in the bucket.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    In order for me to take anything I would have to receive something.

You are receiving the money as a deduction. You are paying less than you would have otherwise. You are 'taking' the deduction and receiving credit so you pay less. Just as I do.

I think the next item is more important however:
    How do you propose the Federal Government Levy taxes?
    The same way they did prior to 1913.

The federal government does not levy ANY taxes upon individual citizens via a income tax or sales tax.

Personal Income taxes (and a idiotic flat tax /fair tax replacement) are THEFT as they are wealth redistribution.

Why is the idea of making the federal government return to it's original authority so radical to some people here?

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    You are receiving the money as a deduction. You are paying less than you would have otherwise. You are 'taking' the deduction and receiving credit so you pay less. Just as I do.

This is the kind of logic the left uses when they cry about paying your fair share. It's a spending issue. It's not an issue of allowing people to keep more of the money that they earned by trading 40+ hour portions of their life for that money every week. Portions of their life that they'll never get back by the way. I can think of nothing more reprehensible than thinking someone owes more of their life to someone or something that has no right to it.

I don't know what the 2,000+ hours a year that you give up in return for money is worth. I'm confident that I'm sharing way too much of my life that I'll never get back with people who deserve none of it. What is more selfish and downright hateful toward a free man than demanding that he give up more of his limited amount of time on earth for something that is wasteful, unearned and taken for granted?

Top Bottom