Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hi folks,

I received a note from an anonymous neighbor, it would seem. It reads:

"Dear Neighbor,
    Would you please not shoot your guns when were (sic) having family time in the evenings? All of your neighbors would appreciate it."

Not signed.

OK. First, the obvious is that civilization is moving in way too close for my comfort, and I'll probably up and move.

However, I need to find out who wrote this. I need to establish what they think of as "evening". With rare occasions, I do not shoot past 4 or 5pm, and most definitely not after 7pm, as that is when one of my neighbors has to go to bed. He asked me personally, and I respect that. I do not respect anonymous notes.

Next, I am, by far, not the only one who shoots. There is a huge, long berm behind these houses, and it's not unusual to have three or four of us going at the same time (last night I was shooting, and there was only one other, shooting what sounded like a semi-auto .22 rifle long after I had fired 11 reloads from the Mosin-Nagant).

If I'm getting blamed for his shooting as well -- and I'm not sure who it is or I'd go talk to him and see if he got the same note -- then I will be doubly unhappy.

Now, I'm not irritated at the note itself. Frankly, I'm pissed that the man was too chicken-**** to just come talk to me. We could have had some coffee and established a game plan. Instead, I have this anonymous note that claims to speak for all my neighbors, when I know for a fact that most of my neighbors are always up for shooting, and either will start and I'll join in, or I'll start and they'll join in. Just the way we are, and always have been, along here (I lived in the house next-door since I was a junior or senior in high school).

The note is written hurriedly. From what little I know of handwriting analysis, it would appear this is a male who wrote it, and he's is a position of some power wherever he works. The open letters denote selfishness, though that may just be a symptom of thinking of his family. The paper has a particular scent to it. Being plain notebook paper, this would not be the norm. It smells a bit like vanilla candle.

The paper itself is just torn from a notebook, spiral bound, not using the perforated edge. It's crinkled, like it had been riding in a purse or pocket, or maybe wadded up several times, but the paper still has plenty of strength to it so I doubt it was the latter. It was crinkled after having been written.

Now, there is only one family that has kids along here, but he's a shooter and, I suspect, the one with his .22 out when I shoot. Not 100% sure that "family time" should denote children.

I could shotgun the mailboxes by writing a letter and putting them in each one giving my phone number and requesting a call. However, if he didn't sign his name, he probably won't call, either.

The request I can respect; the fact that he claims to talk for all my neighbors, and the cowardice of an anonymous letter, I most definitely do not respect.

Mostly I'd like to hunt down whoever it is and have a talk with him. Nothing mean, just get clarification.

What would you do?

Thanks,

Josh

P.S. I do not know most of these neighbors beyond knowing them to nod to. J.S.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart
    well, I don't know what they consider family time, but up till 4 or 5 I don't see how anyone would call that too late, even 7pm isn't that late but I could see how that might be "family time" for younger children during the school year.

Since the person didn't sign it, you can't ask them. So I would ignore it.

you could get a yard sign made that says "to the person who left the anon note, please clarify what you consider "family time" and leave a sharpie hanging off the sign lol

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Talk to the neighbors one at a time in a friendly way to see what their overall opinions are. Let them know you got an anonymous note and are talking to all the nearby folks to make sure you aren't disturbing them and what kind of compromises are needed. Also let them know what the general feeling from the other folks you are talking to seems to be.

My experience with folks who claim "all the other folks" usually mean that one or two other people agree with them in some fashion, so they feel their opinions have been validated.

In groups, keeping communications in the open and clear are the best way to deal with those who prefer to be anonymous.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I would check with some of your other neighbors that shoot to see if they received the same letter.

Other than that, I wouldn't change what you're doing. You already state that you rarely shoot past 4 or 5pm. I wouldn't honor an anonymous request, since you weren't soliciting requests. Now if they make themselves known, than I would at least listen to them and work out a game plan, as you stated. Sounds reasonable.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Best bet, IMO, is to start talking to the neighbors you know and see if anyone else got the same note. At least will eliminate possibilities.

But I do have to agree that if they do not have enough courage to aproach you or at least leave some contact info so that you can discuss it like adults, then they are probably not going to fess up to it easily, and could just go straight to the police with out any other notification.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    sounds like my brothers neighbor who called the cops because his dog was barking.........................................At 11am.................that's right, the middle of the day :nuts:

I'm not sure what the distance between where you shoot and where your neighbors are located is, but I can't imagine it's all that disruptive and 4 to 5pm. I would just keep doing what your doing; if it's that bothersome to him he will make himself known to you.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Most of the time when I shoot, I shoot up until it gets so dark I can't hardly see my target anymore. I think stopping at 7pm is respectful enough.

I would ignore the letter until they grow the testicular strength to come and talk to you personally. Until they specify what "family time" is and what time it starts and ends, you have no way of knowing.

I personally would not go to every neighbor and ask them if they wrote it, as it may bring up other problems or situations that you didn't ask for. If one person is fed up enough to write you a letter they should have signed it and specified exactly what they wanted, not assume you would already know.

blitzen25cat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    south east indiana
    Josh I would not change my shooting routine one bit. It's not like your shooting at all hours of the evening. Some people will never be satified no matter how hard you try. If it were me I would continue my range fun as if I never received that cowardly note. Let it be the note writer's problem and if really bothers him or her they will probably talk to you face to face. Give it time and enjoy your shooting time. Best regards:patriot:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Well, you said you don't shoot after 4 or 5pm, but went on to say you were out shooting "last night." Maybe all of you should get together to come to an agreement on what afternoon, evening, and night, really means.

I would just keep shooting if it is lawful in the area and during reasonable times. I say that because what would you do if one of your neighbors said to stop shooting at 4pm, seven days a week? I would make them bring the problem to me. I'm not going to search for someone to put restrictions on me. Good neighbors talk to each other. An anonymous note means nothing.

Michee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2010
    Plymouth
    I definitely wouldn't change my shooting patterns, especially since you aren't out shooting all hours of the night. I would wait for the person to talk to me directly so we can work out some sort of compromise.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Hello,

I'm with you guys on the anonymous note. Just irritating.

Que, I shot 11 rounds of 7.62x54R at 6:30pm. Someone continued with a .22 sometime after that, but most definitely wasn't me.

All: I just got a list of my neighbors and called the one who I know to have children. The wife answered, and she said that no, they had nothing to do with it, and it's my land. Her own personal feelings on the matter were to just stay safe and not shoot after dark, always be sure of my target, etc. The obvious stuff a shooter would know. She thought the note to be ridiculous as well.

She was more concerned about a package that they are expecting, because UPS sometimes drops 'em off at the wrong house! Promised her I'd watch for it!

This could be a good thing. Gives me an excuse to talk to folks I haven't really said "hi" to in years!

Now, I won't let people dictate when I shoot. I'll shoot middle of the night if I prefer (and have the equipment to see). I have done so when hunting raccoon, in fact.

However, I don't like to give shooters a bad name, and do believe in being polite and professional until someone gives me a reason not to be. If someone requests, you know, in a nice manner, that I not shoot past a reasonable time, then I won't, unless I don't agree that the time is reasonable.

As far as I'm concerned, as late as I can hear mowers or other machinery, that's how late I can politely shoot.

Thanks,

Josh

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I would ignore the note. You're under no obligation to stop shooting on your own property. You already try to be nice and shoot within reasonable hours during the day, so you try to not disturb the neighbors.

The write of the note could have came to your front door, and politely asked you about your shooting. But he didn't.

Ignore the note. Keep on what you're doing. And just wait and see if you get another note, a phone call, a knock on the door, or have the police show up.

Either way, you're in the right. You don't have to do anything different than what you have been doing.

chraland51

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Camby Area
    Why don't you invite a whole bunch of INGO members over to your place to shoot. I have a Ruger .480 that I have been wanting to try. It might be noisier than any of my .44s. We will shoot till darrk. Then, beginning that very night, you can stand guard to see who tries to slip you another anonymous note. Then you can determine who it is. Some people might have the wrong idea about us shooters. They may equate talking to one of us as being the same thing as talking to one of the notorious motorcycle gang members and genuinely be afraid to talk to you face to face (I am assuming that you are a nice guy and a pillar of the community). A cordial and open talk might and even showing him how safe you shooting range is may actually make this guy a supporter of target shooting.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Make several copies of the note and tape one copy to each of your neighbor's mailboxes. Proceed to pepper each note/mailbox with birdshot. I can almost guarantee you will get your point across.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    Talked to my closest neighbor, my former boss's wife. If they had a problem, I know they'd say something, but figured I'd call anyway.

No problems from them at all.

Didn't figure there would be.

That covers the easternmost and westernmost neighbors in this lil' cluster of houses, and that also covers "most of my neighbors". Heh.

Now I can concentrate on finding out who my anonymous shooting buddy is. If he got the same letter, I think an all-day shoot is in order.

Josh

Top Bottom