Got my new M&P 22LR, now about those mags.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I knew I was late getting to the party filling the empty whole in my inventory of a 22lr pistol. Better late than never, but now I think it's going to be a while before I can get a few spare mags. I guess that's what I get though. Feels weird to me having a pistol with only one mag. I've looked and came up empty, but if anyone knows of a place that has them I'd appreciate the heads up.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Haha. Good luck. If you do find any you will probably grossly over pay. Your best bet would be to hold out for a month or so and then you should be ok.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I knew I was late getting to the party filling the empty whole in my inventory of a 22lr pistol. Better late than never, but now I think it's going to be a while before I can get a few spare mags. I guess that's what I get though. Feels weird to me having a pistol with only one mag. I've looked and came up empty, but if anyone knows of a place that has them I'd appreciate the heads up.

44MAG.com - Smith & Wesson - Smith & Wesson M&P22 Pistol Magazine .22lr 12rd

A little high, I got mine at my LGS before the rush for $29.

Last edited:

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Slightly off topic, but have you had a chance to shoot it? I used one for the first time at kodiak last week. It fouled 3 times on two mags, winchester bulk pack.

Coulda been the ammo or coulda been the fact that it was a rental, but i heard rave reviews and was rather bummed in the performance.

Anywhoo, congrats on the purchase! Enjoy.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Haha. Good luck. If you do find any you will probably grossly over pay. Your best bet would be to hold out for a month or so and then you should be ok.

Yeah, I figured as much.

I did see them at 44mag, but at $40 per mag, I'm really having to debate about how bad I want to buy a spare. S&W's website has them for $32 compared to midway & brownells at $27, so I guess they aren't too far off the mark.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    Yeah, I figured as much.

I did see them at 44mag, but at $40 per mag, I'm really having to debate about how bad I want to buy a spare. S&W's website has them for $32 compared to midway & brownells at $27, so I guess they aren't too far off the mark.

They were hard to get before the rush. I just keep checking my LGS and buy when he gets them.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Slightly off topic, but have you had a chance to shoot it? I used one for the first time at kodiak last week. It fouled 3 times on two mags, winchester bulk pack.

Coulda been the ammo or coulda been the fact that it was a rental, but i heard rave reviews and was rather bummed in the performance.

I've held them and loved the feel, but I haven't shot one yet. I couldn't tell you the last gun I actually got a chance to shoot before purchasing, and I wish that wasn't the case but it's just kind of the way it is. Most everything I've read about them has been a great review so I'm playing the odds here.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka

white box ammo doesnt cycle that gun well. My 2 older boys shoot the crap outta that gun over there.

Green box remington feeds much better.

its a nice gun IMO

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm kind of wanting one of these since I now have an M&P9c.

I very much like my AA 22 conversion kits for cheap training on my Glocks, but I'm kind of hung up on the M&P22 having a safety, internal hammer, etc. Basically the M&P 22 is sort of an M&P, but not exactly.

I'll be interested in how it performs for you. This may be my next gun purchase.

I wish Advantage Arms or Apex would release a conversion kit for the M&Ps but I'm not holding my breath.

nickman54

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Were you

in New Haven for the purchase? I saw a guy at my LGS that had just got one and looked really excited.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    white box ammo doesnt cycle that gun well. My 2 older boys shoot the crap outta that gun over there.

Green box remington feeds much better.

its a nice gun IMO

Gotchya, ya, a guy i was with rented it and let me use it quick. Great feel, quick sight acquisition, i figured it was just ammo as .22 can be picky.

hvacrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Jay County
    Mags

If you find 10 round mags for less it is an easy fix to make them 12 round. Just take offthe end plate pull the spring and remove the metal plug an wala 12 round mags for a bit less money.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    OK Maybe I'm just missing something here.
    I understand that AR, AK & other High Cap mags are hard to find, I get that.
    But M&P .22lr 10 rnd mags? Now I do understand that these mags have been in short supply for a while, presumably just because of the popularity of these guns.
    But has this insane run on high cap mags even affected the supply of these? :n00b:

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    OK Maybe I'm just missing something here.
    I understand that AR, AK & other High Cap mags are hard to find, I get that.
    But M&P .22lr 10 rnd mags? Now I do understand that these mags have been in short supply for a while, presumably just because of the popularity of these guns.
    But has this insane run on high cap mags even affected the supply of these? :n00b:

Guns buyers found out how expensive the larger calibers are, so a lot of them went for the cheaper ammo of the .22 for practice. 22 mags were hard to find before the
    thwhacky086-1.gif

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Understand that, but my question is do people think that even 10 rnd .22 mags are under threat by the feds?

I don't think big brother is coming after 10rd 22lr mags. What's probably happened here is that everyone who already had one decided they wanted another mag or two. The M&P 22 mags were in short supply two weeks ago since the model of gun is fairly new anyway.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

The only bulk pack ammo mine like is the Remington golden, never missed a beat with them. With Federal ands Winchester bulk packs I get constant FTE & FTF's.

Magazines are in high demand, $40 at 44mag.com, Midway is out of stock but you can back-order it at their current price of $27 Smith & Wesson Mag S&W M&P 22 Long Rifle 12 Round SS ETA is 02-07-13. Midway is the cheapest I've found for the M&P 22 mags and I've never had a problem with back ordering from them. It's get shipped as soon as they get back in stock.

Top Bottom