• ...and so much more!
  • boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Ok, thanks for the info!

You couldn't buy an AR with a C&R anyway. Only C&R weapons. If you read ATF's publications they basically explain that the only reason the C&R exists is to allow collectors to directly buy from interstate sources (paraphrasing).

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Not too bad... it's just slow. Send off to ATF for the forms, when they get in you send a copy to the chief LEO for your area, and a copy with a check to the ATF.

The biggest paper chase is while you have an 03, you have to keep a disposition log for all your C&R-eligible purchases and sales.

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    You couldn't buy an AR with a C&R anyway. Only C&R weapons. If you read ATF's publications they basically explain that the only reason the C&R exists is to allow collectors to directly buy from interstate sources (paraphrasing).

This is not quite accurate. If the AR was deemed as a Curio (the "C" part of C&R) by the BATF&E, then a C&R holder could buy it directly. As stated in the Introduction section of the Firearms Curio and Relics List on the atf.gov website: Firearms Curios or Relics List

"As set out in the regulations (27 CFR 478.11), curios or relics include firearms which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons. To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:
    1.) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;
    2.) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; and
    3.) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector’s items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.
    "

For example, the prototype by Eugene Stoner or the first AR off the assembly line at Colts.

Don't take my word for it (or anyone on the internet for that matter) this would be completely up to the BATF&E and I'd suggest getting it in writing.

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    The big word in your statement is "if". AR platforms are not considered C&R right now, so you'd be dealing with getting them, as you said, to give you a ruling for a specific weapon. I don't know about you, but I'd rather just jump on it and transfer it through an FFl rather than wait on the ATF who could say yes or no depending on their mood that day, but then I'm pretty impatient when I find something I want. ;)

Rick983

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    New C&R License - Now it begins !!!!!!

You have just opened the door to more fun than you ever imagined. If your'e like me, you'll need a second job to feed your new addiction. Probably the best move I ever made wsa getting my C&R. :ar15:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom