• jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    =(
    OK I understand more fully now. That does suck. Here is what a legit ebay/paypal auction looks likes.

1) Seller post item A on eBay
    2) eBay sends you an email saying your item is online with item #xxxxxxx and you have ben charged xxx.xxx for this posting.
    3) Item A sells via highest bid or Buy Now
    4) eMail from ebay saying congrads and to make contact with seller
    5) Seller and Buyer make contact with each other via ebay send message functions

If buyer pays with PayPal
    6) PayPal will send you an email saying "you have new funds"
    7) Seller logs onto PayPal to see funds and where to send item to.
    Option to buy shipping label via PayPal also shows up.

---
    Like I said sorry to hear about your getting had. So does your PayPal account show any balance now?

Also did you give your password for PayPal out to anyone?
    Even if you did not best to change it now as well.

Is your bank account linked to your PayPal account?
    Suggest you open an account just for PayPal at your local bank and leave $10 in it and link that to PayPal only.

Not to scare you but I have had a case where buyer got the item (signature confirmaition on my end to prove it) and then opened a complaint with PayPal saying he never got the item. PayPal then pulled out of my PayPal account the $100 to put on hold!!! Problem was that I did not have $100 in my account but since my PayPal was linked to my bank account guess where the money was pulled from?

Had to fight with PayPal to show proof that indeed I shipped it and I can show the buyer's signature!

Also don't link your credit card to your PayPal account either for same reason above. Instead use the debt card for the "special local bank account" you opened for PayPal.
    This way should your paypal account be compromised the most they can steal is $10.

What I do is once I get payment in PayPal, I move that move via a bank transfer from PayPal to my bank account. Once it hits my bank aco**** I withdraw it and depsot it in my REAL bank account. This way I have the money and no way PayPal can reach it then.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    nigeria419bigger1.jpg

Not much sympathy from me. Read Paypal and ebay user rules and they explicitly inform you on what not to do concerning such nonsense.

Last edited:

troy2198

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, good advice. No attempts to get my password or login info. Didn't use any of the email links to access any sites either. Always typed them in. Paypal is still showing zeros. I have my debit card linked to my account so I'll probably remove it. Thanks for the help, def a good AAR.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    PAYPAL IS GREAT! Dont delete your card from it. Only flaw they have is they don't let you do gun stuff on there.

Just pay attention to things only from PAYPAL.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    FYI...

PayPal (at least for a biz account) requires that you have a "credit/debit card" and bank account linked to your account. Suspect that you need at least a bank account linked for a personal account as well since how else would you get your money.

Never use a debt card online or at any retail store. If by chance your card info is compromised it goes out of your bank account. Furthermore the theives can clear your account. Yes the banks will fight to get your money back but in the mean time you won't have it. ALWAYS use a credit card. Why? It's not YOUR MONEY. If your card is stole/compormised you are not out money while the charge is being disputed. The only thing I use my debit card is to take out cash from the ATM machine (of my bank) or to do money transfers. Otherwise a credit card (pay balance in full).

Thus why I also have a "paypal only bank account". This way if any fraud were to occur the most I am getting ripped of is $10 since that is all that is in my "paypal only bank account".

BTW have you told eBay yet about this? So they can credit your account for the NO SALE since I suspct right now you have a bill from eBay for the sale of the item.

Also might want to let PayPal know as well. I'm sure that there is nothing they can do for you now. You shipped the item already from what I recall reading.

For those that say they never ship international. yes it's a big headache at times and depending on what I am selling I do limit it to the USA. But fraud can come from both inside and outside.

rooster007

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    KINGDOM OF CLERMONT
    When I hit the LOTTO , I'm going on a hunting trip to:
    Eastern Europe--to hunt a few virus writers
    Nigeria ------to hunt a few internet scam artist
    Somalia------to do a little fishing
    :xmad:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I got scammed by a meth user. Girlfriend sold some NVG cheap, but never shipped them. My $100 check was cashed. I called local PD and he knew who they were. He got copies of the bank video, and told them to send me the NVG or go to jail.

Got em.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    ebay still has my account on hold for no reason whatsoever. they keep saying i need to update my adreess/telenumber but every thing is apples. even called and they didn't know what was going on

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I'm kind of in shock that you have never heard about these Nigerian scams. They've been exposed on TV for at least 5 years, they are all over the internet...I hope you took your SIM card out before you shipped the phone...otherwise they'll be working your friends and family over like dog toys.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way....but pay attention ...

:patriot:

troy2198

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Valparaiso
    @Bob

I have heard of the scams, just nothing related to ebay. I did a security wipe of the sim card and just for a little flair I called verizon and got the phone locked after reporting it stolen. So its a paper weight. But they will probably just sell it anyways.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    eBay users have a rating. It reflects the satisfaction of people who they have dealt with previously and also the # of transactions they've had. What was their rating?

Top Bottom