Got bullet stuck in the barrel today....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nevermnd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It was definitely a case of no powder in the casing.
    Here is what most likely happened (I'm 90% sure):
    After I took out the case mid-cycle from station 2 (yep, the locator button are easy to remove) and I measured the powder on a scale, instead of putting the measured charge back into the case and into station 2, I must of put the measured charge back into powder measure and empty, primed case back in station 2. Then proceeded to seat and crimp the cartridge.
    I do keep all my loads labeled and I also mark with green sharpie on the bottom of the primer if the load is not "the usual"
    It also sounds like I need to get a small spot/desk lamp that is aimed at station 2 so it's easy to check the powder charge when loading.
    I do feel lucky that the bullet got stuck not too deep inside, preventing another round from chambering and converting the glock into a pipe bomb.
    I'm also lucky that it happened to a good 'ole glock instead of Sig. I have NOT "pounded" that 1/4" hardened steel extension down the barrel and and hoped for the best, I simply gently tapped it 5 to 6 times and it came out very easily. I wrote that "hammer" was used, well I should clarify that it was my balsa wood hammer (think light and small) that doesn't weight more than a couple of ounces ( you can see some of them here Small Hammers: Precision tack hammer, brass hammer, ball-peen hammer)
    You can see the gentle rifling marks on the bullet in this picture that I've posted before
    DSC_0001.jpg

I have heard bad stories about using wood dowel rods trying to get the stuck bullet out and the dowel splitting causing even more damage.

Counselor1977

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    You could load a round that you know is loaded correctly and measure it. Once you have the weight of a round, you can weight the rest from that batch to make sure there was only one errant loaded round.

nevermnd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Rookie, here. Thanks for doing such a detailed report. These photos are a tremendous help to me as I learnt to handle firearms safely. This is an entirely new field of study/experience for me, so your presentations is extremely helpful. Thanks, again.:bow:

You are most welcome and that is the PRIMARY ( Second reason is that I really needed some good ideas of how to get that sucker out :D) reason of why I'm posting this for others to see what happens when you reload late at night experimenting with new loads - aka not paying 100% undivided attention. "It will never happen to me" kind of thing and yes, I also double/triple check things without taking any chances, looks like last night I failed.
    I'm obviously not proud of it, but hopefully my experience will help somebody avoid a major disaster in their loading career.

Also for all you Dillon guys (and gals) I got pretty good advice of how not to mess it up in the future (thanks Dmazur@THR):

2. Set up a row of 10 cases for the "development".
    3. Put locator button back at Station 2.
    4. Run all 10 cases through the press. Don't leave any mid-cycle.
    5. Label the row of 10 cartridges in the box.
    6. If you have another charge weight you want, repeat at step 1.

I've found that the locator buttons remove easily, and that encourages inserting/removing cases on the press somewhat randomly, as you attempt to make adjustments "on the fly", or insert cases at other than Station 1.

Don't do it. Run one case through by itself, making as many adjustments as you have to for powder or seating depth or crimp. No other cases can be affected, as they aren't present.

nevermnd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You could load a round that you know is loaded correctly and measure it. Once you have the weight of a round, you can weight the rest from that batch to make sure there was only one errant loaded round.
    I do it for the .44 mag rounds, every one of them gets to go on the digital scale and is weighted against the "master" .
    I think that removing the casings mid-cycle on a progressive reloader is what creates the most danger, especially when making small adjustments in small batches.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side

With a 4.0gr powder load, it'd be hard to have a definite yes/no idea. By the time you factor in variances in case, primer and bullet, you could have one that showed a loaded round with a double charge or no powder and still be 100% dead on as far as the powder charge.

skeetman28

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    South Bend
    TheeE are a couple things that need to be known,was there any powder resdue ? Did it pop or kinda of go poof I guess ? No powder residue would indicate low charge or primer that was bad....I have had this happen once to me and with 30+ yrs. of reloaoding ....only to find out that is was my fault on not checking the pwd. drop every now and then visually even with a progressive reloader....

Top Bottom