Got bullet stuck in the barrel today....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nevermnd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I was out shooting this morning and the famously reliable glock 26 took one for the team :D
    Here is some information about the handgun:
    Stock factory everything Glock 26 manufactured in 2009, I have cleaned the barrel about 500 rounds ago on it.
    Ammo was my reloads:
    - mixed brass (this particular was a Federal)
    - Winchester WSP primers,
    - 4.0 grain of Winchester 231 powder
    - bullets were Berry's Plated 9mm Round Nose 147 grain
    - COL was 1.115"

Here are some pictures of it, the back of the bullet sits .817" deep from the throat of the barrel (pictured):

DSC_001.jpg

DSC_002.jpg

Here it is stuck inside:

DSC_003.jpg

DSC_004.jpg

DSC_005.jpg

DSC_006.jpg

DSC_007.jpg

Here is my reload COL:

DSC_008.jpg

Here is factory white box Winchester (left) compared to my reload (right)

DSC_009.jpg

Luckily the bullet got stuck close to the throat of the barrel so that the next round kept FTF'ing and I field strip the glock to see what was going on.

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_093.jpg

The federal casing that produced the stuck bullet was reloaded for the first time.Here is the spent casing of the bullet that got stuck:

DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_009999.jpg

It measures as follow:
    length - .753",
    width top .375"
    width bottom .388"

All comments and suggestions are welcome, this was round number ~540 from a 600 9mm rounds that I've loaded so far with Berry's Plated 147 gr.
    I also had a P226 and M&P 9C with me that shot great with no hiccups using the remainder of my reloaded ammo.
    How can I test/measure the barrel to verify that it is safe to use after the stuck bullet is removed?

Last edited:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Sure there is just one stuck in there?

If it's just one then my vote is on a squib load (no powder).

Did it sorta go pop with little or no smoke, or did it have more of a lighter bang with a lot of smoke? The former indicates a squib load.

Once the bullet is out, clean then look through the barrel. If it is bulged you can see that pretty clearly. If no bulge and no obvious signs of cracks in the throat area then you are good to go.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    No powder charge?

usually even just the primer would drive the bullet down further than that. I'd think a real jacketed rather than a plated bullet would stop closer to the chamber; but who knows. Now, the scary thing is, if that round had no powder, is there another round with a double charge? Were these loaded on a progressive? You might have just short stroked it enough to not get powder; hopefully it didn't get stuck up int eh drop tube and carry over to the next round. Curious if you can get 8gr of 321 in a 9mm case. Looks like th OP got lucky that the bullet didn't travel far enough to allow chambering of the next round. Then, this would have been a much more popular thread!!

Doug K

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No powder charge?

By looking at the case, sure looks like it. Either that or contaminated powder. Looks like not enough pressure for the case to seal in the chamber.

Being you didn't fire a second shot, I would be confident your barrel is fine. I would worry more about what caused this and be careful with the remaining rounds.

nevermnd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    usually even just the primer would drive the bullet down further than that. I'd think a real jacketed rather than a plated bullet would stop closer to the chamber; but who knows. Now, the scary thing is, if that round had no powder, is there another round with a double charge? Were these loaded on a progressive? You might have just short stroked it enough to not get powder; hopefully it didn't get stuck up int eh drop tube and carry over to the next round. Curious if you can get 8gr of 321 in a 9mm case. Looks like th OP got lucky that the bullet didn't travel far enough to allow chambering of the next round. Then, this would have been a much more popular thread!!

Doug K

It's loaded on a Dillon 550B and double charge of 8.0gr of 231 makes it impossible to seat a 147 gr bullet for the seating and crimping operation.
    I was working out a load on the last 100 bullets so I might of missed the powder station on this one :D
    Someone suggested (on THR forums) to soak the barrel in penetrating oil to help getting the bullet out.
    If there was no powder in it, I can't imagine the bullet is stuck there THAT hard?

msquared

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    BTDT... I had my first squib at the beginning of this season at the SS/Production match. I was able to tap it out with a brass rod and a small hammer. It took a lot of "taps" but it came out clean with no damage to the barrel.

As mentioned above I recommend being very cautious with the remaining rounds in that batch.

BTW I was loading on a 550. I have since changed to a 650 with a powder checker.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have used a wooden dowel rod and put the chamber end on a block of wood and gently tap until free. My bet is on no powder, as a friend of mine, NOT me ;), did the same thing one time. Good luck and listen for the rest of the loads from that batch (from what I hear!)

nevermnd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    free willy

I ended up using a 1/4" extension and about 5-6 very light taps with a hammer and the Glock is back in buisness!
    DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

The barrel looks good too!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Go buy a lottery ticket!!!

That you could not chamber a second round is lucky. That you got it out so easily and no damage to the barrel, lucky.

Go buy a lottery ticket!!!

:D

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Rookie, here. Thanks for doing such a detailed report. These photos are a tremendous help to me as I learnt to handle firearms safely. This is an entirely new field of study/experience for me, so your presentations is extremely helpful. Thanks, again.:bow:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    :n00b: Yikes! I wouldn't have put steel down my barrel.
    A much better choice would have been a dowel rod, brass rod or even a synthetic rod designed for the task.
    Arredondo Squib Rod Multi-Tool Nylon Black - MidwayUSA

While I totally agree in general principle, the Glock barrels have the tennifer treatment inside and tool steel carefully tapped through probably won't do any harm. I wouldn't do it, but the OP needn't worry he's ruined his barrel this time.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    too bad I didn't see this sooner, I would have recommended taking it to the Glock match at Eagle Creek. Their main Glock tech was there.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'd say you got damn lucky the bullet got stuck where it did. if the next round had been able to load and fire, you'da been in a world of hurt. glad you're ok, and I hope you figure out the cause.
    as others have said, it sounds like a case of no powder in the round.

Top Bottom