• ...and so much more!
  • bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Got bored, built a $2 media separator.

Pretty simple, almost needs no explanation really.. Take a toy racket from the store, cut it apart and stuff it into the bottom of a coffee can with a hole cut in the bottom. At first I was going to zip tie it in, but really with the lip there its pretty snug.
    If something breaks on it(which I doubt.. not putting a ton of weight on it) then just use a zip tie for a repair.

Just another idea for anybody else looking for make one. Sure beats sorting by hand!

.45acp brass for size comparison. Smallest brass I have is .32acp, and it wont fall through the holes.

7229147404_c67941545d_k.jpg

7229149402_211e5ae8d6_k.jpg

Last edited:

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Do they make those children's rackets in different mesh sizes? Just a thought, since they're $2 you could theoretically make a bunch of them to sort your brass.

bluewraith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Akron
    Do they make those children's rackets in different mesh sizes? Just a thought, since they're $2 you could theoretically make a bunch of them to sort your brass.

Honestly if I was going to go that route I would spend the money on a pre-made version of those as I doubt I could make anything that would work better or cheaper.

Brass Sorter 9mm Luger 40 Smith & Wesson 45 ACP 3 Bowl Set

I don't really mind sorting case sizes out by hand.. I generally only shoot 9mm and 45, so it's pretty easy to sort them. Sifting them out of dirty media on the other hand sucks, hence the separator.

Lupin3rd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2012
    Indianapolis
    There is a local range that will sell 5 gallon buckets of unsorted brass for $35. A friend of mine and I split the cost of 3 buckets, sorted them, and then appropriated each caliber according to who needed it most (defective, berdan, 22LR, steel, and aluminum casings were scrapped). The first bucket took all weekend to sort by hand until I had a good idea. The media sifter I have has slits in it that are big enough for 22LR and 25 Auto but too small for 380 auto and larger. We used the sifter to help sort and it took us half the time. At a minimum, the product you're suggesting would probably cut that time in half yet again were we to do another similar buy.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I use a square kitty litter bucket and spaghetti strainer. The strainer sets perfectly on top of the bucket while i dump the tumbler into it. Shake the strainer and all done.

The racket is a great idea also. Always nice when we can modify to further the hobby.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i made my own out of 2 buckets 1 is a 1gal and 1 is a 5 gal. Drilled holes in the bottom of the 1 gal and it sits in the 5 gal. Dump everything in the buckets and pick up the 1 gal and shake it for a couple seconds and your done....even gets the media out of the primer pockets and neck down cases of .223's

Top Bottom